Liverpool Slayed

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Felon82, October 22, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Felon82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Wow!

What a great Result.

So if it wasn't enough that we went away to the European Champions midweek and got a draw, we returned home and thumped Liverpool and at Wembley capping off a fine week for us all.

The performance today in part was sublime, great movement, intelligent passing, ruthless finishing. And even without the ball for spells we didn't look troubled.

Today my view is that we actually adapted our game to play more on the counter which is great to see for me because I am a true believer in you set up with a strategy to beat the team you play not just with a 1 type philosophy. Today we executed a game plan and it paid dividends.

Lots of teams who've had success against Liverpool let them play/come forward and then pounce when they're all committed, we did that brilliantly today.

It could have been more Son hitting the bar would have been a great goal but was not to be.

Kane is like our very own Roy of the Rovers this guy is something else, he can score every type of goal but what impressed me even more today was his link up play. We all know great strikers are selfish it's what makes them ruthless in front of goal but Harry has a great awareness about him that means he will let someone else have the glory if it is the sensible thing to do something that shows a maturity to his game for someone his age.

Lloris may have been at fault for the goal but he more than made up for it later with some great saves.

Liverpool and Klopp to their credit made a good game of it but when we play like that we are more than a match for anyone!

Some good prep and strategy from Poch today as well, my only reservations about Poch have been his blinkered approach in the past but this season he seems to have upped his game also.

Well done today!

COYS!!!!!!

2. burnt Well-Known Member

Have to say I did more twitching then Harry Redknapp on transfer deadline day when I saw the line up ... While I was half excited to see how it was going to work out I also felt we could have tried this against diff opposition ... Would have been interesting to see the reaction from all if the result went the other way tho , lol .... Great to see us mixing it up over the last week tactics and personal wise and get the performances and results we were looking for ... All of a sudden we seem to have options aplenty and with our tactical flexibility it's an exciting mix going forward ... Look they were embarrassing at the back but we knew that was very possibly going to be the case and we set up to take advantage of it and we did it to a tee , what more can you ask ... Being greedy , in hindsight I would have liked if we changed it a wee bit after 4 - 1 and just held onto the ball more at that stage , kill the momentum in the game completely but that's nitpicking ... A great week overall tho , and a great start to a difficult run of games ... Completely different test coming up next week against the most expensive bus ever assembled and before that another battle against our Pikey neighbors ... They're coming thick and fast now , exciting time's even if it's still only October ... Enjoy , C.O.Y.S .......

Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  3. scouse phil Guest

Spurs were hands down the better team today, Liverpool were beaten & embarrassed in every area of the pitch. Spurs are fast becoming the leading team in the league, the ones to watch, the ones to emanate when it comes to style & class. Man city need to spend gazzilions to do what your lot do to make up for their managers inability to replicate what Pochettino can do with any player no matter how much they are worth. If you win the league then I for one wont be too bothered because you will have done it without throwing money at it.

Remy Uwilin, Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  4. Chris #2. Guest

Great game today!

"We all know great strikers are selfish it's what makes them ruthless in front of goal but Harry has a great awareness about him that means he will let someone else have the glory if it is the sensible thing to do something that shows a maturity to his game for someone his age."

I dont agree at all - I think its quite the opposite. Harry will take a shot if he has a chance, and does generally not have good awareness about other players in better positions. Its not a problem though, since he is so good :)

5. Spurporter Well-Known Member

The jury is out on Llorente and Foyt, but Aurier and Sanchez have been very much golden signings. So they were against Liverpool. Toby, Jan were peerless and Lloris was himself. Our defense was superb.

We took Pool apart w/o Wanyama AND w/o Dembele AND w/o Dier. Who needs those DMFs once we got Winks!!! (Winks could not complete a pass in last 20 min, yet Poch replaced spent Eriksen instead). Our defensive MF was more than adequate.

Finally, our attacking MF and our striker were SUBLIME, as Felon82 correctly pointed out.

Looking forward to cup game on Wed.
    GOYS!!!!

Last edited: October 23, 2017
    Felon82 likes this.
  6. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Great to hear from you Scouse Phil and for you to be humble enough to share your thoughts. I've watched Spurs for 60 years and this is, all around, the best I've seen. Not getting Van Dyke was pivotal.

Felon82 likes this.
  7. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Yesterday was a pleasure from start to finish. Whilst the picking of two right sided full backs was a mystery until they lined up, pitching Aurier against Salah worked....mostly.

I thought this was as good a team performance as I can remember, and we had some great ones last term at The Lane. Energy levels were so high and I feel in no small part this was to do with Winks playing. He has so helped our transition from defence to attack, and Dele alongside raised his game to deliver his best performance of the season ..... And a much needed goal.

Son looked so sharp early on and was desperately unlucky when he hit the bar.

Kane was exceptional for me. Apart from his goals, his pass to Son for his goal was so Hoddlesque. We were right behind him and the way he lifted it around Lovren was delightful to see.

Lloris, apart from being slow off his line for the Salah goal, was again in tip top form, particularly the one handed stop from Coutinho.

The back three were again brilliant - how lucky are we. Eat your heart out Jurgen.

Not to forget we had 80,000 there and as good an atmosphere as I've experienced at Wembley. Sweet or what.

The only downside was to see Harry holding his left hamstring late on, so fingers crossed for Manure on Saturday. My sense is that the key this season will be in improving our results against the top teams. Wins and draws for us against them are a must. Losses to be avoided please lads. Well played again.

COYS

burnt, Nomadico and Felon82 like this.
  8. Big fran Guest

The big thing for me is were on this run of form with so many players missing. Rose Davies lamela and in particular dembele wanyama and yesterday dier.
    I've always believed in the strength of our side is the central mid area with the physical power we have. I keeping hearing off pundits our squad is not as strong as Chelsea man it's and city yet we have coped well with the above named missing and our bench getting stronger each week.
    Aurier I agree been hit and miss so far. He's quick direct going forward but can be rash and positionally vulnerable at times his pace gets him out of jail. Remind you of anyone??? A young Kyle walker before poch arrived. Rose likewise?? He will improve I'm sure once he gets to grips with the pace of the league and the extra quality than a poor french league.
    Poch tactically has been immense of late and I've questioned his last two or three line ups but he's come up trump's even managing to get a tune out of sissoko and the transformation of winks has brought a new dimension to the midfield that we've missed since the modric era.
    I'd expect many changes on Wednesday with vorm foyth peters rose llorente sissoko to start. Maybe even wanyama dembele lamela could feature but I'd still back us to get the result.

burnt, Nomadico and Bazza47 like this.
  9. Big fran Guest

Forgot to mention Son also outstanding. Could have had an hatrick on another day. His pace and movement were fantastic as was his work rate. Need to get more game time given he is capable of 20+ goals a season IMO

10. johnnyhrvat Guest

I flew up from Croatia for the game, and so glad that I did.
    For all the concern pre-season about getting our business done early, we ain't too shabby. Koeman managed to do most of his business early and Everton might be Championship winners next season.
    I am also so glad that we did not get Barkley where would that have left Harry Winks, who is really one of our star players right now.
    We will need a different strategy next weekend as we will be back to playing against a keeper and ten defenders.

Bazza47 likes this.
  11. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

What a satisfying display of football, of course it being that we were on the winning side. As mentioned above, yes I do believe Poch & the lads are learning...new tactics and at times adjusting according to the opponent we're facing. Other than, Man City; whom at the moment are looking like the new Barcelona....Spurs are the team to watch in the Premier League. Achieving the results we have through these 2 weeks without being on our full strength in terms of squad, it's hard not to be carried away with the possibilities this season!

I have to give a HUGE shout out to Winksy!! Missing Dembele/Waynama & Dier sitting out, our midfield not missing a step...this kid has got bags of potential. He's so calm on the ball, is positive when he needs to be...and has been cautious, which in a young player; my goodness he's mature beyond his years.

As it pertains to Liverpool, 3 seasons or so ago...we were in their shoes; having a defense that's leaking goals left & right. Which leads me to my next concern, Toby's contract needs to be extended!! That leadership from the back has brought stability within our squad, he should be earning what our top earners (Kane & Lloris) are; he's that important to the team and what we do!!

Last edited: October 24, 2017
    Bazza47, Mick, Nomadico and 1 other person like this.
  12. Nomadico Well-Known Member

I am not sure that the problem with Toby's contract is to do with his wage's,more about the buy out fee which is a thing Levy has never been a fan of,but it need's to get sorted!!!With Winksy showing skills beyond his year's is down to Poch,he has also improved this season with his willingness to change things up during games plus,he has back up plan's some thing he never had last year and,if he can get the injured player's back we will have a really strong squad to take the next step!!COYS.

Bazza47 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button