de Boer broke first two rules of the club; Benitez reportedly interested

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, May 8, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Josh Bolton

Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    We need to TALK TO FRANK, or maybe not!

As we have detailed in our earlier articles, Frank de Boer is set to miss out on becoming Spurs boss after making Spurs interest public, as reported by the Evening Standard.

After once being listed as a front runner for the hot-seat, it seems that another Dutchman is about to bite the dust. The Independent have also ran a story on de Boer, claiming that his chances of becoming our manager have been dealt a bitter blow thanks to Ajax revealing details of our negotiations to the press.

According to journalist Paul Smith, who had firstly tweeted that Mauricio Pochettino is now the front-runner, added on de Boer that - “I think you'll find the compensation issue [with Ajax] is minor. It's more to do with De Boer shouting his mouth off”.

Jeez Frank, didn’t you ever watch that David Fincher film Fight Club?! I mean, we’ve all seen it! And what does Brad Pitt’s character Tyler Durden say – “The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club”. Didn’t you know that Daniel Levy loves that film?!

My Name is Rafa and I will be your waiter, I mean manager, this evening!

Although the Poch may be favourite in Levy’s eyes to take over at N.17, talkSPORT’s Spanish football expert, Begona Perez, claims that Rafa Benitez would welcome a return to the Premier League amid reports linking him with the Tottenham job.

Speaking on their breakfast show, Perez said: “I believe that if he gets the chance to get back to the Premier League with a team like Spurs, with an interesting project and a team that have the ingredients to fight for titles, I think he could be keen.”

Ridiculed by many for looking like Fat Al from Toy Story 2, it now seems that many Spurs fans would be open for Benitez to move to Spurs. With an impressive CV and PL experience, could another Spaniard from sunny Spain make a move to White Hart Lane? Well, Jamie Carragher thinks he’d fit the bill. Pardon the pun!

The ex-Liverpool defender backed his former boss for the job, writing in the Daily Mail – “I think they should look at Rafa Benitez. He would love to work in England again but perhaps his pragmatic style of play wouldn’t be accepted. Yet he has a winning mentality, has had success at two big Premier League clubs already and has a rich European pedigree."

2. azas Guest

Can i just say that if this is true i will probably not follow spurs as much next season. Im getting disheartened by the people who run our club and the decisions they make.

If your looking for a good manager to take the team forward then lying at press conferences to cover spurs's back shouldnt be a factor. Its not about pride.....its not about emotions......its about picking the best guy for the job. Levy needs to put his ego to one side and pick the best man. De Boer is the best man for us. Not Benitez or Pochotino. He ticks all the boxes. And the fact he has pissed of levy (if these rumours our true) mean he probably will do well. HR never got on with Levy and he got us into the promised land.

Levy needs to think objectively and without emotion. Just look at wins...trophies and style of play. Character.......not has he followed my instructions or not. Good managers are not rule followers.....they do it there way

Felon82 and Kid-e1 like this.
  3. Iain Clark Guest

We need whoever is the best choice. If it's de Boer then to reject him because of a few press reports would be effing stupid.

Kid-e1 likes this.
  4. Peter Ag New Member

If De Boer is rejected for 'shooting his mouth off' then he would have dodged a bullet by not coming to Spurs!
    I would be realy happy with DeBoer and would also be open minded with Benitez though style of play might not suit Spurs

5. Tryme Guest

Ffs we need fdb not some washed up fat spaniard.

If we get pochettino ill be annoyed

6. Ramos43 Guest

Azaz

What are these ALL boxes that you claim De Boer ?

-The Dutchman has ONLY managed ONE club, in a league that is VASTLY inferior to the EPL. Do you consider that adequate enough experience to take on a TOP job in (arguably) the MOST competitive league in the world?

-De Boer manages the biggest club in Holland. Does his achievements, although impressive, REALLY constitute a man who has done anything other than meet expectations? Yes de Boer has had some GREAT results in the CL but up till this point he has NEVER managed a team beyond the group phase.

-De Boers philosophy is PROVEN in Holland, but can we say with ANY confidence that these methods would be successful in the EPL?

We ALL know the importance of the next managerial appointment, and therefore Levy approach the man who appears to offer the LEAST risk?

Frank has managed a predominately YOUNG team of youth team products at Ajax, and a few foreign imports looking for their big break. At Spurs he would encounter a different type of altogether with players such as Adebayor, Soldado, Capoue, Sandro Paulinho and Lloris all now considered experienced, and having won trophies in their careers. Is their and tangible proof suggesting that De Boer can cope with that type of player and the egos that come with them?

Your view that it bodes well that De Boer does NOT seem to toe the party line, is SUPERFICIAL at best.

I am NOT saying that De Boer could not prove to be an inspired appointment if chosen, but considering all the points I have raised, I would question whether Frank is the BEST man for the job, as much as he is the BIGGEST/ MOST ATTRACTIVE NAME.

while I agree that hiring De Boer may very well be an EXCITING appointment, I feel I have raised enough questions to suggest that is NOT necessarily the RIGHT one.

7. Simon Guest

We've had too many 'up and coming' managers who have had a bit of success in other less competitive leagues. Our best manager in recent years was HR. There is one reason for this...he knows the PL. We now need a manager who knows the PL, and knows how to win trophies. There is only one choice...Rafa Benitez, although Carlo Ancelloti could be an outside bet if he fails to deliver the Spanish title or CL.

"But his football doesn't fit the style of Spurs"!! Bullshit, none of you will be complaining if we actually win something! There are very few teams who play lovely flowing, attacking football and win trophies doing it......at the top level, I may add...not the bloody Dutch League!! Most of the top teams are based on a very strong defensive unit, are very well organised, but just happen to have a few world class attacking players who can change a game.

Kid-e1 likes this.
  8. Jim Guest

Why do we always go for the worst candidate??

Pochetino is useless, what has he done ????? All the youth players at southampton were already there, everyone he bought in has failed. I just dont see why they are even considering him.
    De Boer or Benitez are the stand out candidates, give the job to one of them !!!!!!!!!!!

9. dave Guest

Here we go again, Levy will appoint who he wants, not who is best, we will then waste alot of money on moving out the last managers players , bringing in the new managers players! and in 18months to 2 years do the same again. FDB may be good I don't know as he is unproven in the EPL, lets face we wouldn't get excited by Neil Lennon. I am open to Rafa, a proven winner , yes his football may not be exciting at times, nor is Chelski's but I don't see their top players leaving every year in search of CL football.

10. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

So we are meant to believe that FDB is out of the running because sacked jorno Paul Smith said so. as far as I know there was never any source stated to where this information came from. just baseless opinions from a hack.

11. Ramos43 Guest

Rafa Benitez??? You mean the man who RUINED a CL winning Inter side guiding the Italian giants to 6th in Serie A?.... Does ANYBODY remember what Spurs done to Rafa's Inter at the Lane? And what about Benitez ill fated stint as Chelsea boss where the blues, in ALL comps when Rafa arrived, duly failed to get out of the CL group stages, were knocked out of the FA Cup by Man City, lost the WCC to Paulinho's former club Corithians and were beaten over TWO LEGS by Swansea in the C1C semi finals.

Yeah sounds like just the man to take Spurs forward!!! During his time at Napoli, he has taken the team from 2nd to 3rd, despite reinvesting HUGE amounts of money in the team to replace the departed Cavani.
    This season he failed to see them beyond the group phase of the CL and only managed to pick up the Coppa Italia.

Yes Rafa won the EL at his time at Stamford Bridge, and the equivalent of the charity shield and WCC with Inter, but before those arrived the last thing Benitez had won was the CL with Liverpool (2005) in what can ONLY be considered a FREAK/LUCKY result.

So the idea that Benitez is a serial winner isn't EXACTLY true, and if your going to play the kind of football Rafa does, I think you need to be!

So thanks, but no thanks. Rafa will NOT be Spurs next manager, simply because I will NOT have it.And this is coming from a fellow Spaniard. ;)

BIG NAMES doesn't necessarily equate to BIG SUCCESS...Some of you would do well to remember that!

Kid-e1 likes this.
  12. Alex in NY Guest

I think Levy will have to wait with his decision. If gunners let Wenger to retire the ManU scenario with LVG could repeat for FDB.

13. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Levy is the big problem at Spurs only the deluded cant see it, he has made the job a poisoned challice.
    It should be a job 90% of managers would jump at but globally all potential managers know what they will have to deal with- a battle to get players they actually want usually resulting in them being given a cheap alternative instead, they will always be hamstrung in 1 or 2 important positions, they will have their best players sold, there will be constant interference from a dof or Levy himself, they will have to play duds because of ridiculous contracts theyr on, the same duds that they cant flog because levy prices them out of moves, they will have to play good football with little added investment, a group of players they didnt sign and an unbalanced squad. They will ultimately fail get fired and their reputation takes a massive hit. Its the Levy rinse cycle!
    I cant believe whats happening to the club infront of all of us and people applaud it, Managers and players using us as bargaining chips and fall back plans with absolutely no intention of doing anything for the club genuinely. Its desperate and tacky the way we conduct buisness these days, AVB sacked replaced desperately by Tim big mouth no badges Sherwood, 18month contract, talks ongoing with LVG, Snubbed, FDB anouncing talks THFC denying, Pochetino in the mix the list goes on, and all of it extremely public.
    We need clear strategy from the top something which is clearly not happening as we bumble from 1 embarrasment to the next!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button