Bournemouth-Spurs 9th of July 2020

Discussion in 'Featured' started by Jesper, July 7, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Preed

Preed Active Member

Well I did say the first half was the worst well they surpassed themselves in the second half.This is the first time since Bournemouth were in the premiership 186 games that they have prevented the opposition from having a shot on their goal.At the end it was like watching a Sunday morning match with kick and rush .No shape no idea no hope.How many crossing opportunities were wastedwith the final ball being hopeless.I know u can’t make a silk purse with a pigs ear but at least you can instil some kind of pride at least.Some players are still pining for Pochetino and surely they must be fed up with Mourinho total lack of direction..Come on Levy do the right thing get rid and hopefully go yourself

Bazza47 likes this.
  2. THFC Guest

Playing from the back or punting and holding? So...playing from the back when you have FB’s who are decent and CM who want the ball is how football really should be played at the top level these days. Hoofing it in the hope that a big lad upfront might be able to challenge for a header and if you are lucky the 2nd ball will get picked up is not, even if that is JMs “proven” method of success and trophies.
    We are neither blessed with decent FB’s
    /CM or a big lad that can win headers and a MF that pushes up to get 2nd balls.
    I think that is safe to say though that yet again based on tonight’s performance that JM has no clue how to motivate this team and how to implement a formation or tactic that exposes opposition weakness with any of the squad at his disposal using either method (or anything in between).
    If you still think that things will be any different next season with JM, you are in fact, the one that is deluded. The sooner this season ends, the better. If we win against Arsenal, which is highly unlikely, who’s to say we can win the other remaining games anyway?
    I have been a Spurs fan all my life and very rarely have I watched us play so badly week in and week out.
    Football is about winning points, I get that but actually, first and foremost, it’s about entertainment and joy for fans. We have often in the past stuck to that idea too closely and tried to overplay and lost. However I don’t remember watching a team that is so negative and lifeless so we can get a point and accepting that.
    I don’t know the ins and outs of running a huge football club without a rich owner and the stress and pressures that go along with it. It’s very easy to blame Levy and Enic but we are in very strange time’s for getting revenue in to keep the club going, especially with the huge debt of the stadium to service.
    What i do know is though, if those same people think, like a few people on here do, JM is a good leader/tactician for the job at the moment under the circumstances, then that is their view. I really believe that anyone who has eyes that work properly must surely be able to see that JM is a disaster for our club...seems not to be the case though so perhaps, somehow,we are watching/interpreting things completely differently.
    Let’s blame it in VAR again...that seems to be the go to excuse for most at the moment and not the fact we actually play football like a league 2 side.

Bazza47 likes this.
  3. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

When we thought it couldn’t get any worse.......it just did. SO bad. Can’t think of anything worthwhile to say.....mmmm!

4. Jesper Member

Lamela.... He's too slow to be a winger, not accurate enough in his passes to be an attacking midfielder and gives away too many unnecessary fouls to be a central midfielder.

As is then it seems that Ndombele, or another player with similar price-tag as him, is needed to lift the team. He did better in that role than Lo Celso, on the other hand some times the key to have good performances is consistency and changing how Lo Celso is expected to play from match to match might affect his performance.

If fast one touch attacking football is to be played then players who can play one touch football are needed. If Spurs are to play faster football then I believe that Lamela and Sissoko needs to be benched.

When was the last time Spurs managed to play well against a team that was defending deep? Two years ago? Three?

I do not mind if long balls are played into the striker, at least it speeds up the attack compared to endless sideways passing looking for openings. The occasional long ball might make the defending team unsure of what will happen next. Mixing it up instead of the predictable.

Bazza47 likes this.
  5. Leespur Guest

After the Sheffield United match I said if we carry on playing like this we will be flirting with relegation next season well we’ve got even worse in the last two games so carry on like this and we will be relegated next season levy/mourinho out

Bazza47 likes this.
  6. Guesty Guest

we play the ball across the pitch nicely at times.
    That's it.

most of our players are simply not good enough.
    I don't think it matters who the manager is with this shower of sh1te.

Bazza47 likes this.
  7. THFC Guest

But Burnley and Sheffield Utd win games and our players are currently about the same standard?

Bith those clubs are doing ok because the manager employs a formation and tactics that gets the best out of what they have and exploits their opponents weaknesses

8. Preed

Preed Active Member

Before the lockdown this site was full of opinions for and against Mourinho now apart from a few regulars and the odd guest nobody seems to care to give an opinion either way even the redoubtable spurporter has become becalmed .Surely the absolutely appalling performances must engender some response or has every body become exhausted with the lack of direction and can’t be bothered.Having supported this club through thick and thin for over50 years I am heartbroken to see what is going on at the moment.How has the best striker in England 2years ago now become a shadow who does his best work at centre half.How long before Southgate removes him from the England team.I believe that him and son will want away next transfer window and we are definitely heading back to the relegation haunted years.Still we will have the best facilities in the championship so we should attract the better lower league players.Anybody who thinks this can’t happen is wearing the rose coloured ones

Bazza47 and Spurporter like this.
  9. Felon82 Well-Known Member

This is Pochettinos 6 year built squad , it's full of all the sh!t he acquired with his master (minus most of the quality it had)
    A team can only be as good as the sum of its parts and we have at least 10 players that play regularly that shouldn't be anywhere near a so called 'big 6' club.
    We can't defend, we don't have any talent/creation in the midfield and Kane n Son look spent.

This whole mess is on Poch the Puppet and Ming the Penniless.

This was so obviously gonna happen when you don't bolster from a strong position to challenge/support what you have.
    It's steadily gone downhill since 16/17 and has now gone off a cliff.
    All down to negligence from the board, compliance from the manager and the bed wetty happy clappers who supported not buying better players or a 2nd striker etc (you know who you are n you've all gone missing)

Bazza47 likes this.
  10. THFC Guest

I am baffled by some of things that you say sometimes? A lot of what you say is bang on yet then you seem to come out with things like everyone is a Poch fan that doesn’t agree with you and are blaming “6 year built” squads for playing like they are at the moment.

1) Poch, like him or not, identified the squad needed re-building 18 months before his departure and wasn’t given the backing.
    2) This same squad managed to get to the CL final not too long ago
    3) We have more players than just Son and Kane
    4) I have never read anyone on here saying that we shouldn’t sign another striker, fb’s, CM’s or CB’s
    5) I haven’t read anyone happy clapping about anything so not sure who that’s aimed at

Spurporter likes this.
  11. Spurporter Active Member

Never. Long shots at times were successful. Famous Dele's goal against CP comes to mind or Maison's drive. Eriksen in injury time or close to it was helpful from the distance often.

I don't find this draw particularly telling. Spurs looked like a team that lost Dembele, Eriksen, Son and Dele all at once. Out of Pochettino's front 5 only Kane left. He cannot be successful alone, whilst his new partners haven't established any partnership. Ndobele looks good, but he hardly knows his playmates. Same goes for the rest of front 5 Spurs had against Cherries. If you do not sign anyone for two windows, don't expect any team evolution even if later the new faces are there. Also. Mourinho have never known how to coach the attack, he has been a defencive guru, being neither Pep or Jurgen like. Well, we got clean sheet.

Current Spurs reminds me very much of MU of a few seasons ago, the team that needed a rebuild, but hired Mourinho. They won one domestic cup under him as well as Europa League. I would trade those trophies for Top4 finishes year in and year out.

Last edited: July 10, 2020
  12. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Go back over this site , a few of us I especially got pelters from a load of pretentious how dare you question the regime/Poch/levy.
    How enjoying the ride was what should be done, the young team didn't need anything, was only gonna get better under Poch, no players out there that could improve the club, can't buy second strikers to sit on bench etc there'll be plenty that can vouch on this.

13. Guesty Guest

First job..... get rid of.........
    Sanchez, Aurier, Winks, Lamela, Dier, Moura, Foyth, Ndombele & Gedson.

most other teams have better footballers than them.
    Players that know when and where to pass the ball. Players who know where they need to be on the pitch and which key areas to run into to effect the play.

We know Levy isn't going to spend money.... so our scouts need to earn their money and find some quality youngsters and/or championship players.
    Or we play more of our own youth. They can't be worse than the above.

Felon82 likes this.
  14. bruski

bruski Active Member

Prospect or past it is our market Felon! **** off Levy! **** off Enic! I'll give Mourinho one season with the players he can persuade to come for **** all wages (in comparison). After all, I know he's been in charge of great players, but no ordinary coach could bring all those ego's together and actually win a shed load. That's more than just having good players. Our lot have had it too cushty for far too long.

Felon82 likes this.
  15. Jose's Ghost Guest

Pochettino is not completely absolved (he set the tone this season after all) but the overwhelming blame for the squad's decline obviously lies with the chairman. He is the one who painfully negotiates deals and then lets star players walk away for practically nothing. Pochettino was very diplomatic, an exemplary company man, but his frustration with the club's transfer policy was clearly evident numerous times. There is not a manager anywhere that does not wish to buy players... chairmen however are by nature the opposite.

Levy should have realised some time ago that forever attempting to beat the odds in the transfer market is not a sustainable policy. He got fortunate by picking up some good players like Alli and Alderweireld for next to nothing... and then smug for thinking he could do that on a whim. There was definitely some truth to the view that we could not have bought better (with our budget) than what we had a couple of seasons ago... but if you're not going to invest then you damn well better hold onto your own players. Instead he chose not to pay two of our best while another two stars met their premature ends through injury. Levy thought he had all the time but the window is closed now and no doubt much quicker than he anticipated.

Most would still agree though that the current squad is underperforming... win, lose or draw the football has been abject and very difficult to watch. Confidence and form is clearly very low but whether that is the players wishing they were elsewhere or something particular about Jose's management we'll find out soon enough.

16. Guesty Guest

we don't have many great or even enough good players. Most of ours are bang on average.

bruski likes this.
  17. Jesper Member

The past two years included both CL and EPL. The people who ignores one and only remembers one of them are only seeing haf of the picture. The EPL form was really bad for a long time. Getting to the CL final was mostly about luck, I did not see consistent good performances even in CL.

The recruitment under/with Poch was not good enough. The integration of the bought players into the team was too slow. 18 months before his departure was about 12 months too late.

Felon82 likes this.
  18. Preed

Preed Active Member

I find it strange that people still question Felon because I remember him warning that Pochetino was bringing the club down because he wouldn’t stand up and be counted and his player recruitment was poor..At that time I agreed wholeheartedly with him and we both received Pelters as idiot trouble makers and their were many who came on here to criticise us and said wait and see how wrong you were.Where are you now or can’t you still accept the truth .You know who you are.Ican accept making a mistake and still post as I was all for Mourinho but now accept that I was totally wrong.Lets hear from the Poch lovers and see if you can still justify his tenure

Felon82 likes this.
  19. Jesper Member

I can't help but think back to Wenger.... The team he inherited had steel and determination, he added flair. When they had both steel and flair then they were good. The steel slowly disappeared and they became what they are now.
    Man U under Mourinho had steel, then they got OGS who might well have been fired due to a year of poor performances but they stuck with him and one right player coming in appear to have lifted the team.

The team was lacking in both flair and steel, it looked so bad that I feared relegation. Steel appears to have been prioritised over flair. I believe that priority was the right one. Flair without steel get teams relegated.

20. Preed

Preed Active Member

Sorry jesper but this lot don’t have skill or steel and without new players we will be relegation fodder next year.How can you justify a performance when we became the only team that Bournemouth has stopped having a shot on goal in 186 games.what good is steel without a shot on goal.Give me flair any day at least it’s watchable not the rubbish we are now getting

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button