Boost of confidence for Lamela

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, September 3, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Nobody can doubt that Erik Lamela had a torrid time in his first season at Spurs, with injuries and lack of game time meaning we rarely got to see our record signing, and when we did, he looked low on any sort of confidence.
    Today has seen him re called to the Argentina squad, and he has thanked Spurs for standing by him. I only hope he remembers this when he is doing well and the big guns come calling.

It's not about the money...

Nope, it is all about the price tag. You often hear managers saying that players are not affected by price tags, but when someone comes to a club with the stature of Spurs, and becomes the most expensive player ever, I simply cannot believe that doesn't prey on the players mind.

Thirty million was an astonishing amount, but it could prove to be money well spent in time.

Twinkle toes

Lamela showed against QPR and the first leg of our European game, that he has quick feet and can deliver a quality cross. What he still needs to work on is his shooting, as we need him to score goals, but from what I have seen so far, it is going to be like having a new signing.

Call up

Just as Rose got into the England squad, Lamela has now been called up for Argentina, and this is a sign that his star is back on the rise.

Optimism

I think it is fair to say, that a lot of people were very disappointed with the transfer window, and I must admit that I do feel we could have done better business, but let's put that to one side and hope that what we see this year is the creation of a team of stars that can, at last, take us on to glory.
    Lamela could be just one of those stars and as always....Come on you Spurs!!!

Deggsy56 likes this.
  2. justin Guest

Great article first one I've seen lately where someone is keeping the faith cmon you spurs.

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Not only was he called up but he scored a BEAUTIFULLY controlled volley, too! Germany could have had two Neuer's in goal and they still wouldn't of saved it. Good news for Argentina. Hopefully, great news for Spurs! Confidence boost? I'd say so!

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. Mattj78

I was just about to post the same video!!! What an absolute beauty. If he does that against Arsenal, I may need my house ceiling putting back on. What a controlled beauty that was!!!!

Ramos43 likes this.
  5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

The boy wants to hurry up and start performing for Spurs. Great goal but im only interested in him doing the buisness for us consistantly.

Ramos43 and Mattj78 like this.
  6. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Thats what Erik can and will do. good effort and well deserved, lets see it in the lilly white

7. cali Guest

Who gonna give that kind of precise cross in Tottenham? we know Lamela is a talented player.

8. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Lets be fair, the cross wasn't anything special. Yes it was accurate, in the sense that it found Lamela in a sea of space, but you could argue that it was, actually, played too centrally/close to Eriks body, which forces him to break stride and adjust.

Yet, it was that adjustment, the slight side-step which enabled the ball to run across his body on to his favoured left-foot, before he clinically dispatches the controlled volley into the top corner that was so impressive!

The cross itself was pretty basic. Well spotted, but pretty basic. Andros, Chadli, Eriksen, Dembele, Paulinho and co could all of delivered that same pass in their sleep, as could I, given the opportunity.

Listen, there is no reason why Lamela shouldn't be a success in the EPL, providing he has the intelligence to know how to adapt his game, when the situation calls for it.

Slower (Mata) and smaller (Coutinho/ Sterling) players have made successes of their time in the English top-flight and continue to do so, proving that, while it may be helpful to be blessed with exceptional physical attributes, it's usually what happens between a players ears that will define how well they do in the PL.

What Lamela has to do slightly better, for me, is have a better understanding of his opponents from an individual standpoint. i.e. realise that trying to out-run Joe Allen is probably a better idea than Jordan Henderson. etc.

This, in-turn, would have a GREAT impact in speeding up his decision making, as he would already know how to approach certain situations BEFORE a ball has even been kicked!

Sometimes I get the feeling Erik is NOT adapting his style to counter the opponents strengths, often taking a one approach, for all, mentality.

Well, sometimes on a football field you have to curb your natural instincts in order to become a more effective player .i.e. Take a strike on your weaker foot. Pass instead of dribble. etc.

Listen, this is more or less Lamela's first season playing in the EPL, and it stands to reason that the longer he operates in this league the more familiar he will become with different players strengths.

But if he REALLY wants to set a marker down for the rest of his Spurs career, he should be doing his homework on individual players, now. That's would be what I would be encouraging him to do if I was his manager, anyway. ;)

Because unless you have exceptional physical attributes (i.e. Strength, blistering pace, etc) there is every reason to have a better understanding of the type of player you are going to be confronted by. And, listen, even if you do have exceptional physical attributes doing your homework on players can only leave you better positioned to exploit their weaknesses.

Mattj78 likes this.
  9. Mattj78

It is not so much the cross as someone being in the box. One thing I have noticed in the last three or even four seasons, but especially the last two has been when we do get wide, and get a ball into the box, quite often only one person is in the box, with the midfield far too far behind.
    What we saw against Liverpool was that Chadli, Adebayor and Lamela were getting into the box, and if only Adebayor or Chadli were there, the others were follong up behind.
    Against Liverpool, that didn't happen and it is something that needs to be happening when on the attack. Of course we shouldn't be leaving no one at the back, but the three playing behind the front one, must be following into the box to put crosses in the back of the net.

As I have said on many occasions, football is a simple game and needs to be played that way. If spurs do that, then we will be fine.

10. Gimpster

Gimpster New Member

Get you're Boots on tomorrow mate. get the Camera phone ready and get it on utube............. Popcorn ready this end.

Ramos43 likes this.
  11. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Lol...What's it worth then, eh? 1 view on youtube? Because I won't get much more than that, playing that kind of pass without the recipient guiding a controlled volley into the the top corner of a goal.

But, like I said, you don't have to be David Beckham to play that pass. I'm sure that Di Maria has done FAR more complex things on a football in his day... as have I. ;)

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button