Big weekend in title race

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, February 12, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Now, at the start of this season I didn't think I'd be writing this headline at this stage of the season!
    In fact, I wasn't confident of fourth place but I am happy to admit I got it wrong, I misjudged Poch and Spurs really are in the title race. In fact, even if we did lose, I still think we are in this title race to the very end.

Leicester play some team from downtown Woolwich before we head to Manchester to face the team Leicester destroyed last time out. What was clear from that game was that if we play at pace, City will struggle. With Davies and Trippier both getting forward, we can really hurt City and have a great chance to put them to the sword.

Poch is a grounded manager and whilst he is not shying away from talk of the title , he is telling his players to take one game at a time.
    Depending on the result of the noon kick off, there may be more or less pressure on Spurs, but Poch will be telling his players to ignore that game and purely focus on our own game. Something us fans will not be able to do!!!

Alli will return to the starting line up, but other than that, I see an unchanged team. Sunday gives us a great chance to put the pressure on at the top and should we win, dreams of glory will start to become ever closer to reality.

Dare To Do. Audere Est Facere!!!

And as ever, COME ON YOU SPURS!!!

John Pitt, Nomadico and Deggsy56 like this.
  2. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Anything other than a loss is fantastic. So long as we're not humiliated.

If we lose and Leicester win, we're still not out of it. The earliest we'll be 'out' of the race will be if we get to 37 games and 4 points or more off 1st!

Nomadico likes this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

As it stands Leicester have by far the easiest run in, followed by Scum, then us and then Citeh.
    We are going to have to pull out all the stops against teams that historically we have had trouble beating.
    Big games left for us City, Scum, Liverpool, Utd and Chavs.
    Now although none have been at the races this year 1 thing is for certain when they raise their game or dig in theyre all difficult to beat you can even throw Wet sham away into the difficult fixture list as we all know we're their cup final.
    We are only 2 points better off than we were at the same stage last season. Some perspective needs to be put on things.
    Of course we are in with a shout which is great but we will need to shake off the historical demons and go out and put these sides to the sword if we want to lift the title.
    And if we done that we would be worthy Champions.
    I just feel with 39 points still to play for Spurs fans are jumping the gun a bit, top 4 is still not even confirmed.
    As long as Leicester and us dont lose tomorrow i'll be happy.

John Pitt, Bazza47, Mattj78 and 2 others like this.
  4. Cheshuntboy Guest

Thank God for some common sense from Felon - the reason we're so high up the table is because ALL the usual top four contenders are having poor seasons - we're actually performing at almost exactly the same level as we have for the past six seasons, since our first CL qualification in 2010, and our results so far against those 'usual contenders' (plus Leicester) have been nothing to write home about - one win from seven, with tough games to come against all of them bar Leicester. Of course I want us to qualify for the CL (or win the League!), but all this premature crowing infuriates me - Pochettino has a history of running out of steam at the business end of the season, the dreaded EL resumes any day now, so can we drop the 'mind the gap' rubbish, and just keep our fingers crossed that this year really will be different?

John Pitt likes this.
  5. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Thoughts..
    - So okay this season various "others" may not be playing up to past levels, but at the end of the day you can only play what's in front of you and so far we've may a pretty good fist of doing just that.
    - It is true that we still struggle to beat the best and at the end of the day you have to beat the best, to be the best. It's there to do and if we can come through against those closest to us, we will be there or thereabouts come match day 38
    - Key to me is being able to turn all the very good work into taking the half chances, getting that vital second goal that has eluded us on so many occasions in the past, so often we've given up counting any more
    - I think I'd like to imagine a scenario tomorrow where Hugo the Great gets the MOTM because he delivers a match winning performance.....yep that will do for me.
    COYS

Nomadico and John Pitt like this.
  6. johnnyhrvat Guest

In recent years a trip to Maine Road has filled us with trepidation - we have been facing a better team and and have been duly humbled. However, this season we are the better team, City are extremely sheiky, and we should not be thinking that a point is satisfactory. Their manager has been sacked (albeit delayed), they have plenty of injuries and most of their players know that they will be surplus to requirements next season. Their record against the top six this season is poor and their focus could be easily shifted to the final coming up and the Champions League. If we take the bull by the horns this afternoon, City players' heads will drop, the stadium will empty (like last week) and another team will drop out of the title race. Three points minimum (another three away points south of the Thames would be good)!

7. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Brilliant, brilliant performance. How good was that.
    Ran our hearts out and more.....COYS

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button