Between a rock and fourth place

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by josh_b, December 16, 2015.

Share This Page

1. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

The Newcastle defeat was arguably coming for a while now. The dropped points against several teams might come back to haunt us come the end of the season, but for me this was more disappointing than just a loss - it was the manner of the result that really bothered me. We were uncompetitive, one dimensional, and lethargic in our play. There was a lack of attacking desire from some of our players - we huffed and puffed, but at the end of the day we couldn't blow the Toon house - or bus - down. And it ended up running us over.

The big question is, really, whether this result represents or misrepresents our season. If the defeat provides the catalyst for enhanced performances, ones which we can grind out results, as well as making the most of games in which we dominate, then this result will be forgotten by the end of the season.

Indeed, there is some premise in this argument - the performances against Manchester City, 85 minutes against West Ham, as well as the overlooked win over an impressive Crystal Palace side. However, the results against Chelsea, Arsenal, Stoke, Newcastle, Swansea, Manchester United, West Brom, Everton and Liverpool all say that currently, our team lacks the ruthlessness required to win games in the Premier League.

Whilst seasonal objectives fluctuate throughout the year - Liverpool a few years back, Chelsea this year to name but two - does making the top four really define our season? Unfortunately, in my eyes, it does. In a season where the league is deemed weaker than ever, the best Spurs team - not squad - in a long time should surely be almost expected to make the Champions League. The issue with the Premier League is, in my opinion, not that the best teams are weaker, but that those below them are stronger. The likes of Stoke, Crystal Palace, and West Ham to an extent all look serious contenders for a place in Europe - not to mention current leaders Leicester City. This makes picking up points far more difficult than we give teams credit for - even Bournemouth, who we thrashed 5-1, beat United and Chelsea in consecutive weeks.

This clouds the position of Spurs in the current league. Do we have the squad to win the title? No. Can we beat anyone on our day? Of course. Are we going to make the top four? Who can tell? Can anyone really say where our performances ought to place us right now?

As the pundits often say, the final position of the team in the league is representative of the quality within that team. Are we the 4th best team in the country? I'd certainly like to hope so. Especially after last night's defeat, it is more important than ever to get behind the team, stop this incessant booing at the end of games, and enjoy the rollercoaster ride that is being a supporter of mighty Tottenham Hotspur, and one that hopefully ends in seeing our team return into the European elite.

71yid and Nomadico like this.
  2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Like the Title Josh, i dont think the club has that burning desire to achieve these things.
    Theres such a never mind attitude embedded in us no one not even all the fans care if we achieve anything.
    You read and hear hundreds of these do gooders who literally attack people that want us to cut the cr@p and step up and achieve. They like the club come with a catalogue of excuses why we 'cant, shouldnt' win anything or compete.
    Said it numerous times Winning comes from a burning hunger from the Top down, and there will be the 'were building a stadium' brigade probably jumping on this but believe when i say this new stadium is mainly for sharehold profit over club success which has been prevelent last 10 years.
    4th/3rd is there for the taking but there are Clubs with the mentality of it means everything and theres clubs with the mentality fingers crossed maybe some day we fall firmly in the latter and are charged top whack for the privilage.

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

There is no better time than now to get into the top 4. January will be big. If we sign no one then we question ambition.
    The stadium is one signed off. Poch should be given time.

Nomadico likes this.
  4. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

We had a golden chance to get 4th spot on Sunday, but blew it. Losing to struggling clubs is the norm for us.These opportunitys are rare. These are the games we need to win including a poor Chelsea. They lost to two promoted teams - but we couldn't beat them! 5th 6th again is our place!

Mattj78 likes this.
  5. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

At the start of this season I felt that 4th would be out if our grasp. As we picked up more points and remained unbeaten for 14 games, I genuinely felt that 4 the was achievable and it still is.
    There is no better chance than this season to get that position and champions league football.
    Based on the form of the top teams, then finishing 5th or 6th this season would be an abject failure.
    A couple of signings are needed next month.
    My concern if we don't get champions league for next season would be that those players who have stayed this season won't stay another season.
    Lloris, Vertonghen, Eriksen, Lamela, Dembele are all going to be looked at by other teams as well as Harry Kane.
    Failure to finish in the top 4 when it is a reality that has to be taken could be catastrophic for the club in years to come.
    Poch will know that and so will levy.

6. burnt Guest

People like Vertongen and Dembele have let the team down umpteen times before , especially when things aren't going well , when you really need your experienced players to show up and lead by example .. I don't trust these players one bit im afraid , too much evidence in my memory bank to have any faith in these type of gutless character,s ..
    Dembele couldn't force his way into a midfield containing 2 youth players last year who were no more then average ( they showed plenty of promise to be fair but were no more then average as a midfield partnership ) and when he did get a chance he underwhelmed big time .. The way he's performed this season shows just what he's capable of and for me instead of all the praise he's getting from the short memory brigade he should be slated for what he's been producing for the last 2 seasons ..
    As for so called super Jan , what a piece of sh1t this fella can be .. He was part of one of the worst defences in the league last season and some of his gutless performances wouldn't be acceptable in non lg football , as for the year before , it makes my blood boil thinking of it , the team in middle of injury crisis and Sh1t-bag gets the hump for being asked to play left back , he practicaly gave up at times , he never had a problem doing it for his country but got into a childish strop when asked to do it for the people who pay his substantial wages .. Now an awful lot of fans seem to be able to forgive and forget at the drop of a hat but im not one of them .. It will take a hell of a lot more then a few performances to change my mind on these types of gutless attitudes .. There,d be no tears shed in my house if any of these two were fu*ked off at any stage thats for sure .. Some of us don't forget .....

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button