Best Spurs team.........Ever?!!!!

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, November 22, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Okay, so that's not quite what Moussa Dembele said, but what he did say is that this current Spurs team is the best he has played in. Now bearing in mind that he has been part of Spurs squads that have contained Bale that is one heck of a statement. In fact, when I read that this morning, my first impression was, " what drugs has Moussa been taking recently? "

But then I stopped and paused for thought. I re watched his interview, which by the way is currently available
    On demand on Sky Sports, and started to realise that he may have a point. A very good point.

Firstly, the teams that we have seen with the likes of Bale and Modric were fantastic. Fast, exciting and typical of the history of how Spurs play. ' The Tottenham way' I hear you cry! And that run to the Champions league quarter finals was exhilarating.

To compare the current squad with that squad is difficult, but let me explain what Moussa means and why I actually see exactly what his point is.

Firstly, the current team has possibly one of our best defences in years. (Touch wood as I hope that doesn't come back to bite me later on today!) Walker is playing some of his best football, Rose has really developed in the past 2 seasons and the pairing of Alderweireld and Vertonghen is superb. Cohesive and strong. Now, when was the last time you thought that about a Spurs defence?!

In goal we have Lloris who in my humble opinion is the best keeper in world football. Some of his saves are breathtaking and without doubt he has contributed as much as anyone to our strong start to the current campaign.

Moussa himself is part of one of our most well balanced midfields. Alongside him we have Eriksen, Alli, Dier and Lamela.
    Dier joined the club as a centre back, played at right back and has now been asked to play a new position by Pochettino. And what a player he is becoming. He protects the back four by being aggressive yet fair in the tackle and rather than then going backward, he is quick to move the ball forward. His recent England call up is well deserved and huge credit has to go to Pochettino for his part in Dier's development.

Eriksen is roaming the pitch beautifully at present and seems to be very comfortable in the current set up. He can change a game with the simplest of passes, the greatest of free kicks.

Lamela. Pamela. Wow, I've given him relentless stick over his time at Spurs but right now he is playing extremely well. One of the accusations that I and many have thrown at Lamela is his lack of strength and the fact he is a 'show pony'. But this season, under Pochettino, he is getting stuck in and putting in a shift every game. He is tracking back and really playing the high pressing game that Poch desires. He still has the class as well to turn his man and get attacks going. From a laughing stock to a player who is becoming admired for his desire and work rate.

I'm not sure where to even begin with Delle Alli. I watched him several times for MK Dons and recall thinking that he looked a player with that extra level of class. But I didn't quite expect him to be as good as he is right now so quickly. He has pace, strength, great skill and boy can he finish?!
    His goal for England in the week was awesome. He has no inhibitions and greatness beckons. A Spurs legend in the making without any shadow of a doubt.

And what of Dembele himself? We are currently seeing the very best of Moussa in a Spurs shirt. In his time at Spurs he has been a frustrating figure. We have seen glimpses of his quality in the past but right now he is getting the ball, running at defences and starting to chip in with the odd goal and is certainly one of the first names on the team sheet right now.

The midfield is a strong unit full of creativity and knows its responsibilities in all areas of the pitch.

And what can I say about Harry Kane that hasn't been said already? His work off the ball is phenomenal and his goal scoring is there for all to see.

And then there is Son on the bench too who looks like being an integral part of this developing Spurs squad.

So, does Dembele have a point? Well, yes, in fact he does. If you look at the current squad that is young, still developing, then I can only see exciting times ahead for Spurs.

Strong in defence , coherent in midfield and exciting in attack. Let's not forget just how young this current team is.

In fact, what's not to like?

Let's hope that this current squad is kept together and then who knows?

As fans let's embrace this team, keep supporting the manager and remember that we are, at long last, heading in the right direction.

As ever, "COME ON YOU SPURS"!!!!!!!!!!

Bazza47 and 71yid like this.
  2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

AvB strangled the club post Arry and never utilised Dembele properly. I often watched him playing deep deep defensive mid sometimes sweeping for the CBs, he kind of lost his way from then on.
    But as i have said on numerous occasions he is 1 of the most blessed footballers in the modern game technically he just needs to put it all together on the pitch believe and take responsibility. Which pleasingly he is starting to do. (At last)
    As for the current side without putting a downer on them, they are just demonstrating something that plenty of spurs teams have lacked- work rate and desire! The back bone of any serious team.
    But we do lack depth and quality imo which will catch us out if we are not careful.
    With the league all over the place NOW IS THE TIME!!! but and its a big but we have to make it happen and that means 3 points today i don't want to see a draw and hear it talked up as a learning curve we have to be pumped up for this and Chavs and be ruthless in securing maximum points v both.

Jonesy and Mattj78 like this.
  3. big fran Guest

I agree with a lot of what yourself and the moose are saying about there being a more collective element within the current squad but the redknapp side that took Europe by storm was a cut above still of this current one. Until MP leads his troops to them sort of levels then that will remain the benchmark. This team is making great strides but the league was much stronger then and we had four world class players in king modders vdv and bale. The disappointing aspect that the squad wasn't given the green light to be added to in order to challenge for honours and had three or four players signed in particular a world class forward who knows. Remember talks were held with Remy courtois hazard sissoko to name a few but wouldn't pay the asking price. Also scouted and linked to Suarez vermaelen forlan aguero falcao . Think the next two games are massive in the clubs immediate future with the new stadium looming. If we can negotiate these two London derbies and with a favorable December fixture list then that will shape up how we go about the Jan window.
    We would have to assume that the 20m is still available to spend from the failed berahino deal plus whatever was set aside for the winter window and the impending sales of fazio and Townsend. If we are where we are now we will be linked with Austin berahino wanyama etc. However if we are not too far of the pace of the league leaders would we be looking at a better quality of player such as a laczarette or sadio mane for example.
    A centre half is needed with wimmer still an unknown quality and an injury to one or both of the belgian defs would kill us. A CF obviously and an attacking mid/wide attacker who will add 15 goals or so.

4. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

6 from the next 2 would be lovely. We need to start being a bit more ruthless with games, and that's my only complaint so far - Stoke at home, scum away, just those two and we're looking at another four points. Plus, with scum, and citeh dropping points, and Chelsea looking unspectacular if unlucky, it'd be a big win both today and next week.
    IMO we need quality players in January, and from there we can really challenge for something this year. I doubt this will happen - not due to my dormant hatred of ENIC, but simply because big moves almost always come in the summer. Lacazette, Pato, Doumbia maybe would be lovely, but I'm less fond of Berahino now, and Wanyama - who wasnt great against Stoke yesterday. Re Berahino, I think it makes us look pathetic to go for him again, plus all this talk about him being able to play anywhere across the front line is clearly boll*cks, he hasn't done especially well for a mid table team.
    I think we'll probably end up with another Dele Alli esque signing - which would be no bad thing, but would restrict competitiveness this season, which is one in which we really need to go for the jugular. Top 4 this season, hopefully a big window including Lacazette, maybe Mane, maybe Higuain instead, plus a couple of other CMs - I'm dreaming here but all of a sudden it doesn't seem out of the question.

Mattj78 likes this.
  5. Madhav Gupta Guest

Agree with quite a few of the points made. Feel that the team does need to be a bit more ruthless however at times and convert those draws into wins. 6 points from next two games will be massive and then a relatively easier fixture list for a bit should hopelessly set us up well. Need to maintain the consistency though in performance level and turn some of those draws into victories. Hopefully Leicester cant maintain this run of form.

6. burnt Guest

Short memories boys , short memories , it will take more then a few performances for some of us to forget how fickle certain players attitudes and performances are and have been over last few seasons .. All very well playing out of your skin and giving it everything when things are going well but as some in this team have proved over the years they,re not to be trusted or will just go into couldn't give a f*ck mode when the **** hits the fan ... Now maybe they've changed ( like certain peoples opinions do from game to game , fickle i think they call it ) but it will take a lot longer then a few games to convince some ... A few words that a lot of our fans seem to have forgotten the meaning of : Context : Perspective , i can only imagine what yee,d be like if we were Leicester ... As for the team , excellent mature performance last time for the most part ( we did loose 2 more points ) from a mainly young progressive team who are certainly going the right way at the moment but there's a long way to go and theres bound to be hicups along the way , hopefully not today .... C.O.Y.S .......

7. 71yid

71yid Member

Very happy yid here tonight. Drinkin in my local. Obviously coudnt get to the game but watched on sky. We are looking a really decent side at last. Difficult to beat, organised, pressing, creating chances etc.....there may be a time when we go on a bad run but lets hope this form continues as long as possible. Optimistic about the future anyway. Coys

8. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Short memories and all that, sure, we were poor early on at The Lane. I'm been critical of much of our slow build up at home for a few seasons, but you know what the performances against City and Wet Spam here and the Gooners away are as good as we've played for a long time.
    We've been patient, probing, creating chances and whilst our conversion rate could be better, how good has it been to see our young guns like Alli, Dier, and Harry playing above their years and Erik the Viking and the Moose adding class to our midfield.
    Whilst there are so many stand out performances, I've always been a Dembele fan and to see him clearly enjoying his game so much has been a revelation this season. Keep it up Moose.
    COYS

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button