Argentine set to replace outbound Younes Kaboul

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by James McC, August 4, 2014.

Share This Page

1. James McC

James McC Member

Twitter:
    JMcCarthyLIVE
    Argentinian central-defender Mateo Musacchio is set to join Tottenham in the very near future after numerous reports claimed he will complete his £17million switch from Villarreal CF this week.

Musacchio would join countrymen Erik Lamela and boss Mauricio Pochettino in the Spurs Argentine contingent, and is highly fancied to take up a place in the first eleven next to Jan Vertonghen.

The 23-year-old has made over 130 appearances for Villarreal and scored 3 times for the La Liga outfit since his promotion from their B-team back in 2010. His performances have earned him 2 caps for the national side, and it has been widely though that he was unlucky to miss out on this summer’s World Cup squad.

Although claims that the 6ft defender had been made to train alone in an attempt to avoid picking up an injury before the proposed switch turned out NOT to be true, in fact the player joined in training as usual, it has been admitted by a number of sources that the deal is in its later stages.

Villarreal’s local newspaper, Super Deporte, has also claimed that he has been taken out of the squad for their upcoming friendly against Swansea in Wales on Saturday.

Further reports have claimed that the deal will open the door for French centre-half Younes Kaboul to complete his £6million move to Serie A with Lazio, with his position becoming congested in the time since Pochettino’s appointment.

Kaboul has made 89 appearances in the League for Spurs, scoring 5 goals in his separate spells either side of a trip to Portsmouth, but has struggled with injury throughout his tenure in North London.

The signing of exciting young prospect Eric Dier from Sporting Lisbon added to the list including Jan Vertonghen, Vlad Chiriches and Michael Dawson in the defensive position, along with the likes of Zeki Fryers and Etienne Capoue who can play there.

As Spurs also chase Nottingham Forest youngster Jamaal Lascelles, the defensive revamp looks set to continue despite Lazio flinching at the £6million valuation of the 28-year-old.

Musacchio talks remain ongoing however the Spanish side’s head coach Marcelino Garcia Toral has seems to have admitted defeat:

"It's a situation with three parties: the player, the buyer and the club in the middle and, as I have said many times, if the club sell an important player it's because the right conditions to do so have been met," the Villarreal boss is quoted as saying.

"Things will change quite a lot [for this team]. The quality and level of [Musacchio] will make it difficult to find a replacement. It won't be easy but the solution, for better or worse, will be found soon."

2. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Not buying into this Musacchio thing just yet, these three party ownership deals are ridiculously complicated where everyone wants their piece of the pie, and 17m for an unproven CB? sounds a bit high to me, how much is he really worth ?

3. big fran Guest

Personally would like to have seen kaboul kept on but has been plagued by injury issues for a while now and only a yr or so left on his contract 6m is good value for a third/fourth choice centre bk once the above deal is concluded which looks likely. Looks a good signing on the face of it and of a decent age to improve and would have to assume he has been signed to be a starter at that price. Would still like to see Dawson moved on also allowing more game time to chiriches and new boy dier. Interesting the Argie can also be deployed as a right back so that numpty naughton can also be sold to raise more funds to maybe sign a left sided midfielder and or Schneiderlin.

4. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

As I always say, I only believe it when they are wearing the Spurs shirt ( by the way, the new shirt is horrible ) but this would be another decent signing. In regard to Kaboul, I have never been his biggest fan to be honest although second time around he has been better than his first spell when he just launched balls up field in hope! Injuries have slowed him down and I thought when he did play last season he was very poor, in particular the Liverpool game away showed up his deficiencies and if we can get a decent few quid for him, I for one won't be too worried to see him go. Just one thing though Younes....stick Dawson in your flight bag too!!

5. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Another case of 'don't believe everything you read', I think. If Spurs were to get rid of a CB or two, I believe the prospect of Chiriches and/or Dawson leaving are substantially greater than Younes.

Daws appears to be clinging on to his locker-door by the skin of his teeth, despite the club being open to the idea of his departure for some time. And Vlads 'back injury' has meant he hasn't played a single minute of pre-season under Pochettino.

With Vertonghen also rendered unavailable due to his extended break, I can't imagine that Spurs are going to be willing to sell one of the clubs only defensive constant during this pre-season. Especially, when 28 year old Frenchman still has so much to offer.

Kaboul looks to be over his injury woes of the last couple of years, having taken a FULL part in pre-season. He was reportedly rushed back from injury early last season, and was still experiencing pain in his knee up until May just gone.

Having a fit and firing Kaboul is like a new top-class defensive signing, in itself and at 28 the commanding CB should be entering the prime of his career. To sell him now would be MADNESS, in my opinion.

Last edited: August 6, 2014
  6. Mattj78

Not sure Kaboul has ever been top class but he has been okay at times. If he is fit, then, fair enough keep him, but I simply do not see him as being that good a player. He is better than Dawson, but then again, Mickey Mouse would defend the back line better than Dawson these days.
    I trust Pochettino and his choice of players, but only time will tell with he is the real deal and can take us to glory.

7. stevethespur Active Member

Agree that the spurs defence is still a bit of a conundrum ! We have plenty of money as a club, london based and attractive to the worlds players yet we dont seem able to put a good back four together. I know the games moved on and you defend fron the front and have all purpose midfield men. But i think Poch likes a couple of big stopper centre backs that know how to defend and that will be great. The rest of the team can be responsible for going forward, but at set pieces the cbs can contribute. Have a feeling that kabs and daws belong to the past. And our new shirts are 'horrible'. Coys

Mattj78 likes this.
  8. Mattj78

I agree we need to move forward and totally agree about the new shirts!! Awful! Let's just hope the players in them are not!

9. notnats

6m for Kaboul sounds good considering his history of being injury prone not to mention having just one year left on his contract but right now he looks to be our only fit and ready first team CB for the season opener, haven't heard much about Jan's injury or if he's actually put pen to paper yet. I don't think Younes is going anywhere just yet, it also doesn't look like Daws is going anywhere either, in fact it looks to me like we will be going down the same old road , Kaboul will start the season as preferred CB and probably capt, he will sooner or later sustain an injury and then Dawson will take his place in the first team along with the captains armband.

10. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Kaboul is adequate. Unlike Dawson, I have no complains about him, as Younes still have enough gas in the tank for a season or two. If someone like him was available for 6 million I'd say go for it. You never have enough quality CBs, that's all I know... Thus, get Argentine, yet keep Kaboul. Just let Dawson go. He belongs to Tigers.

11. big fran Guest

We cannot keep saying about kaboul IF and WHEN he is fit he's this that or the other. Fact is in five seasons for us he has averaged about 18 league games a season and its simply not enough.! We have never seen enough of him to judge how good he is or can be. We need a centre half we can hang our hats on and at present we have none. IMO I believe Jan is top class if he's looked after properly,played more regular where he feels comfortable and made to feel like an integral senior player which didn't happen last term. Chiriches again we have seen too little of but he's shown promise and is still young and room to improve and would like to keep him
    and see him on the right side of the 2 CBs. A front line centre half is very much a necessity as many of us seem to agree. Dier probably one for the future and the Europa. Which leaves us keeping either daws or kaboul. For me Dawson with his best yrs behind and the wrong side of 30 and would command a fee of 4/5m which is roughly what we paid. He's been a great asset and ambassador for the club but needs and deserves more games than we can offer him so I would keep kaboul at 28 probably with an extended deal based on appearances to get an extra one year on his year remaining giving us the option of a transfer fee down the line!

notnats likes this.
  12. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

You, Big Fran...YOU!!!

I have noticed recently that there seems to be a trend surfacing where people on this forum have begun using the term 'WE' , rather than I, as if they are speaking for anyone other than themselves.

What is that all about, eh? Who exactly are you referring to when you say 'we'?

Look, I appreciate that YOU'VE not seen enough of Kaboul to judge how good he is, or could be, which is fair enough.

And, also, I understand that YOU'VE seen to little of Vlad Chiriches to fully be aware of what he is capable of. However, my friend, some of us would have seen more than enough of both players to form an opinion of what what we feel the individual/s in question are capable of. Thus making a nonsense of your use of the term 'we'.

Now, that being said, I think you make some good points regarding Dawson, and an appearance based deal for Younes.

What I will say about the Frenchman, though, is he has played a FULL part (to my knowledge) in pre-season up till now, which can only be viewed as a positive. So, perhaps, instead of constantly writing him off as an injury-prone, sicknote, we should just enjoy the fact that Kaboul appears fit and well.

Whose to say he isn't completely over his fitness issues and now ready to fulfill his enormous potential?

Nobody wants to see a fit and firing Kaboul more than me, as I believe, when he is both those things, he is one of the best CB's in the EPL.

13. notnats

WE - Is a pronoun and can be use in the first person as reflective of ourselves, or in the plural sense but should only be seen as such when the person is actually addressing someone. The queen of England very often uses the term WE in a reflective context. WE also refers t0 likeminded people who enjoy sharing opinions, WE also refers to the voice of the people and the majority, and the voice will not be quiet, in fact the voice will say whatever the f**k it wants, in a nice way of course. Don't mess with the WE!

Ramos43 likes this.
  14. notnats

I agree that Younes looks fit and ready for the new season and if he stays fit I think he will have a very good year. But his recent run of injuries are, and should be seen as a concern, and given that these concerns are based on what is evident and factual we can easily say that Younes has been, or is injury prone. Time will tell. I hope he stays fit and injury free ( fingers crossed) because I think we are goona need him.

15. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

'We', then, should, also, know that I can NOT be spoken for... Especially, when the person who attempts to do so, knows not the first thing about what I would wish to convey...

Yes, thank you, for that little reminder Notnats. It was much appreciated. lol. But it's probably best to be clear about these things, so that there can be no confusion, right?;)

You see, words are powerful tools, especially on this forum, such as this. And as such they should be treated responsibly. Using the term 'we' in SOME of the context above can easily misinterpreted as a generalization. More-so in the TWO examples I gave above. So whilst your speech/lecture about 'WE' was very good/entertaining, perhaps it would of been better served being given at a more appropriate time. :rolleyes:

You guys are such fun! :D

notnats likes this.
  16. notnats

Cheers Ramos, I understand where you are coming from, although there are no appropriate or inappropriate times. If you post something then its open to comment. Anyway I needed something to do while having my morning coffee. However, if you need some alone time with Big Fran I will stand back.:rolleyes: unless of course I change my mind.:D

Last edited: August 7, 2014
  17. big fran Guest

Thanks for the helping hand there nonats ha ha but its irrelevant really as it just masquerades over the fact that like u say that there are a group of like minded persons on this site and other sites that dare to disagree with Ramos that Kaboul cannot be classed as a top class defender with only 90 or so league games under his belt spanning over 5 seasons two spells and one superb season..(IMO) ;) Also IM not sure Kaboul can be classed as fully fit after a pre season of six wks or so playing 45 mins or so at training pace v poor opposition. When he can play bk to bk games sat and Tues then I will rethink MY opinion again. Some would like to see him moved on however I'd be happy to see him stay on and prove himself to be capable of first choice pairing. Failing that as a third or fourth choice centre bk I'm sure he wouldn't let the team down.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button