Are you taking the Mitch?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, August 10, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

A summer without Spurs mentioned in a hyperbole, hysterical way is just not normal. So this summer is pretty abnormal and after my early moans about transfer windows, I currently feel pretty contented.

Today brought news that Paul Mitchell, Spurs recruitment guru, is to leave the club in the coming weeks, with Leicester his likely destination. I hadn't seen this news until later this evening, but once I did, I checked out social media to get a feel of the reaction.
    And to be honest, it made some of my passionate and reactionary posts seem tame. "Spurs are doomed", " Poch next to go" seemed to be the common theme. And I shook my head in disbelief.

Mitchell worked with Poch at Southampton and they have a good relationship. But, Pochettino has made it clear that he wants to have as much control as possible. And that is not a bad thing. It's good, it's positive.

Some have pointed to Mitchell and his recruitment skills with the likes of Dele Alli. It was in fact David Pleat who was responsible for that signing and he remains on the recruiting team.

It would be easy to read too much into Mitchell's departure (he is still here until at least the end of the window) but I really don't think we need worry.

Poch is a manager who refuses to have an agent. He deals with his own career. He has committed to Spurs and I want him to stay through the new stadium and get Spurs winning trophies. Even if we have a bad season, Poch needs to stay.

Poch wanted Alderweireld. Poch wanted Wanyama. He's brought Lamela on leaps and bounds. Danny Rose, Dier.

So, the nonsense that Mitchell leaving is terrible news really is just nonsense.

And we have a squad of quality that cost not much more than an average defender called John Stones.

One final thing. I've just written a blog about transfers and money without once criticising Daniel Levy. Things are on the up!!!........ For now!

As ever, come on you Spurs!!!

Nomadico likes this.
  2. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

On this subject - I won't repeat myself but I've put my thoughts on a piece that you can see here:

http://tbrfootball.com/how-greatly-will-paul-mitchell-be-missed-at-tottenham/

Basically, it was a summary of the view that Mitchell's work was much needed at the time and was far better than Baldinis, but his departure isn't a going to unrail our season. We have a young, developing squad and Poch's buys - Alli, Dier, Alderweireld, Wanyama I expect was also largely Poch's work - have probably been more astute than Mitchell's - Son, Trippier. I'm guessing at players here but to me, Poch's ideas are splattered over some of the players he's brought in, leaving the others down to Mitchell.

Should also throw in that the departure is supposedly down to frosty relations with Levy and the NKoudou transfer - which, judging by the club statement and the state of Marseille at the current time, is highly unlikely.

3. shamrockcoys New Member

kane or lloris etc were not grabbed on us this transfer window , we are a good team ,we did not turn into a bad one,this season will be good..we will be watched at highest level champions league ,so these players will not be safe next summer, ,so good transfer window, mr.levy knows what he is at, all good , enjoy the waking of a sleeping giant, the era of the super spur......coyssssssss

4. Regalspur Guest

This notion that Mitch is that important is rubbish he really hasn't done much since he has been with us and he actually didn't do that much at Southampton. It goes that he has put in a great system the black box? But that's about it also if you remember poch said when he joined that it had nothing to do with him but he wished Mitch luck.

5. Big Fran Guest

Wasn't even news worthy to me really. If he had found us alli or indeed a kante then yeah would be a loss. Could be doing a great job behind the scenes tbf but wish him well. I'm happy with our business thus far. Even if we do nothing else capable of top four.

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button