Adebayor as Spurs’ captain… he shouldn’t even be in the team

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by GarethMcKnight, January 22, 2015.

Share This Page

1. GarethMcKnight

GarethMcKnight Member

Tottenham beat Sheffield United 1-0 in an underwhelming performance in the Capital One Cup semi-final first leg last night, and although the White Hart Lane faithful would have liked a few extra goals the most important thing was victory.

The most noteworthy event of the evening was Emmanuel Adebayor’s inclusion as the side’s striker, with the Togolese forward also handed the captain’s armband in a surprise move.

The case for the African attacker to be the side’s skipper just does not add up.

I can appreciate that he has been on the Tottenham books for a number of years and was named vice-captain before the season started, but circumstances have changed since then.

Adebayor’s attitude has been questionable throughout his career but the last couple of months have seen the African forward at arguably his worst.

Before disappearing on compassionate leave to address personal issues, the former Manchester City attacker was vocal in questioning Spurs’ fans’ reaction to poor results in the early days of the campaign.

With Jan Vertonghen on the pitch and showing this season his importance to the side through leadership and authority, the Belgian should have been rewarded with the captain’s armband last night.
    Captaincy issues aside, Adebayor’s presence in the team upset the attacking rhythm of the side as players who are in good form had to shift their focus and position.

Harry Kane has shown his ruthless eye for goal this season and although he can play in the number ten role, is clearly better as the furthest man forward.
    With the England under-21 star on form and the club indebted to his goals, the return of Adebayor took the emphasis off the home-grown star and meant he had the additional burden of trying to create goals rather than just scoring them.

However, Christian Eriksen having to operate from a flank robs Spurs of their best technical player in a central role where he can dominate the side’s possession and is at his most dangerous.

Operating from the left-hand side means that the talented Dane has more of a defensive responsibility while is also less involved.

When he looked to move in-field from a wide position, Eriksen did not have as much space as he has become accustomed to as Kane was operating there and it all became a bit too cramped.

Playing another striker with Kane in behind may seem like Spurs are making an attacking move, but in reality it negates Eriksen’s influence and takes the England under-21 star out of the limelight somewhat.

Adebayor’s performance itself was not enough to warrant a place in team and it was little surprise when the African forward was removed in favour of Roberto Soldado in the second-half.

josh_b likes this.
  2. Ron Guest

Before the season, Pochettino named a captain and two vice-captains: Kaboul, Lloris and Adebayor. As we know, Kaboul and Lloris were not playing yesterday. So it had to be Adebayor, like it or not.

3. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I have always argued that we put far to much emphasis on captains in this country and for me the issue was more about him being picked in the first place. Soldado may be struggling with confidence, and I don't believe we should be making excuses for him, but no one has ever questioned his work rate and effort for the team.
    If I was in the Spurs dressing room and heard that someone who has caused ructions in the squad and went home to sort out a voodoo curse put on him by his mummy dearest, I would be wondering what on earth the manger was thinking of.
    What his inclusion did was to disrupt the Rythm and balance of the side and meant kane had to work even harder to influence the game and the last thing we need is for kane to get injured.

Deggsy56 and bruski like this.
  4. bruski

bruski Active Member

Yep Mattj. Kane not leading up front and Ericson playing wide.........why??? We have been very successful recently so why change it and upset the rhythm?
    I know Sol was bought for his goals, but he works really well as a 10 for Kane. Sol's touch to bring the ball down leading to the pen, was once again world class. I've been critical of him in the past, but their is a lot to be said in keeping a player who works hard for his team mates and for Spurs. Goals will come....eventually I'm sure.

5. Siggy22 Guest

I think we are all reading too much into this Adebayor business.

Unfortunately, Poch forced himself into a corner with making Adebayor captain last night, as he had pretty much no choice after making Ade vice-captain in the summer.

Of course, say he made Jan captain for the night, it would please us fans maybe - but would ultimately disrupt an element of the squad's status-quo.

I believe that Poch is keeping Ade on-side (and silent for that matter) until we can shift him from the club.

Does he deserve to start - probably not. But I'd rather see him start in these type of games against lower-opposition than in PL contests.

6. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Adebayor as captain is nothing but an insult to us the fans.
    Adebayor as vice captain is nothing but an insult to us the fans.
    Adebayor being the highest earner at the club is nothing but an insult to us the fans.
    Adebayor still being at spurs is nothing but an insult to us the fans.
    Adebayor is an insult to us the fans!

As is Levy
    As is Enic
    As is Baldini
    As is Pochettino

7. double61 Guest

The whole shape of the team was wrong to accomodate a lazy whingeing individual. We huffed and puffed and created very little. On the subject of captain why wasn't Walker considered? I understand Vertonghen's want away attitude last season may have influenced Poch but Walker is a leader and an England international

8. Spurporter Well-Known Member

The man is under contract. He is vise-captain of the team. These are the facts. Spurs may stop to play him, but they cannot stop to pay him. So, if I got it right, the suggestion was not to start Adebayor, because supporters hate him. Really? Just to avoid him being named captain? Or you want him being paid and not to play at all? What is the suggestion here? Another question is who on the bench was a better option than him to start?

9. Felon82 Well-Known Member

As was said at the beginning of the season it was an absolute joke to give Kaboul the captaincy and Ade the vice. Shocking calls from Poch and has been proven so.
    This whole were paying him a fortune is neither here or there his attitude stinks both on and off the pitch, he does nothing but upset the balance and for what? Because he's on a ridiculous wage? Even though he's detrimental to the team, play him because of his wages? Reward a bad apple?
    The bloke is a disgrace, and to give him the captaincy is even more of a disgrace. He came from the scum he is scum and needs to be paid off and shipped out.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button