Accentuate the positives

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, December 28, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

With a busy schedule still going on, a hard earned point for Spurs was a good result in a game that was a perfect advert for having a winter break.

United had the better of the first half exchanges, hitting the post from a deflected free kick and forcing man of the match Lloris into some spectacular saves.
    We gave the ball away far too much in the first half and United were allowed far too much space to play, but we got to half time with our goal still intact.

The second half was a war of attrition with bookings and a very physical test which Spurs stood up to well. Harry Kane showed his all round game today and he constantly won tackles and was involved of most of Spurs better work, and he really should have scored at least one today, but it wasn't to be a hurricane on this occasion.

The second half again showed how the players have started to adapt to the pressing game and we made it very difficult for United to play in that half. In the final twenty minutes, it looked as if Spurs were the fitter of the two teams and Eriksen started to find more space to work in.
    We should have made much better use of the free kicks we had today, and Eriksen's delivery, usually exceptional, was sadly lacking today.

Davies had a much stronger game today and he looked better physically than he has in previous games.
    Townsend showed flashes of what he can do in the first half, but the mor physical game in the second half, forced him to drift out of the game and he was replaced eventually by Dembele who did okay when he entered the game.

Overall, this was not an exciting game , but there were positives to be taken and the team is taking shape now and with some good business in January and the summer, we may start to look more optimistically at the future.

With Chelsea to come, we have four pints from six so far, and I would have taken that before today. Another point or even three on New Year's Day would complete a good holiday period for Spurs.

We go into 2015 with the top four in sight, a league cup semi final and the Europa league.

As ever, come On you Spurs!!!!!

bruski likes this.
  2. bruski

bruski Active Member

Wise words as ever Matt. However grumpy I get about my beloved Lilly Whites, I believe currently we are moving forward. Mopo now needs the opportunity to bring in the players HE WANTS. Then we can truly judge him. King Kane magnificent again.
    COYS

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We were lucky not to lose this by about 4 goals but il take a point against utd quite happily.
    Still cant see what Poch brings to us and in all honesty am growing very tired of watching so many average players in our side drifting totally ineffectively through games

bruski likes this.
  4. MT82 Guest

It's quite nice to see spurs dominating the physical battle and containing Man U well in the second half. Spurs teams of old get bullied when it starts getting scrappy but this spurs team looks fit and up for the fight. Something which is reflected in our last minute wins away from home. A good foundation to have for a team To have and I'm feeling a lot more confident now than I was earlier in the season.

5. I think we done quite well holding Manu. But I think we do need a couple of players at the front & in the middle of the field,today we liked but of itancit in the mid of the park,but it was good point for us in the busy period of the Christmas I well look forward for Chelsea game with great faith.come on u spurs

6. big fran Guest

Defo a team made of stern stuff reminiscent of Gerry Francis mid 90s side although not easy in the eye. Rode their luck first half but done well 2nd period. Shame they didn't perhaps go for it in the latter stages by leaving Andros on and entering soldado to match utds 442.

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button