Aaron Lennon: Past, Present and Future

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, May 1, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Aaron Lennon has just hit his 27th birthday, so in footballing terms, he should be at the peak of his game. However, this season in particular, Azza has come in for heavy criticism for some lacklustre performances. So, are these justified and what does the future hold for Aaron Lennon with THFC?

Fixtures and fit ins

Lennon joined Spurs from Leeds United what seems like a lifetime ago now, (it was July 2005) and has been pretty much an ever present since.

He has put in some storming displays for Spurs over the years and at times has terrorised defenders in the Premier league and in Europe, so why is he suddenly being treated like a pantomime villain?

Gone to Townsend

At the start of the season, Andros Townsend had a few good games and one amazing display for England and Lennon was pushed out, peripheral and it was starting to look like his time at the Lane was perhaps coming to an end.

However, Lennon got back in the team but has not recaptured anything like some of his early performances for Spurs.

He has looked slower and without wishing to be rude, he has looked a little on the heavy side this season. He has rarely gone past defenders and has hardly threatened defenders with the pace he once had.

That said, one part of his game that I believe does deserve praise is his work rate. Against Swansea away and against Sunderland, he worked back when he lost the ball and some of his passing was much better. In fact, his passing completion rate is 83% this season. Sadly though, against Stoke, he was predictable and constantly muscled off the ball, and I am surprised he was on the pitch as long as he was.

No end product

I have been watching some videos of Lennon recently to see what has changed in his game and the problem is pretty obvious. On each and every commentary, the same point is made. Lennon has electrifying pace but he must improve his end product. Nearly ten years later and that end product is still poor on too many occasions. The amount of times my TV has nearly gone through the window after Lennon has got to the bye line only to cross along the floor to nobody is too many to count.

He has played 32 games this season, scored once and provided 3 assists. For a winger this is simply just not good enough.

Effort

I do not doubt that Lennon gives his all and he certainly runs around a lot, but then so do I at five a side and I am no great player!!

I have always liked Lennon but I think his time has now come to be moved on. If you have an issue with your final ball, then you work on it until you get it right but after ten years, if you fail to get it right, you are not trying hard enough and 1 goal and 3 assists this season says it all for me.

Lennon is a player full of potential that has never truly been realised and I am afraid that is his own fault.

2. surrey-spurs Guest

totally agree except in certain games he didn't even work hard (cardiff at home was one i remember quite recently)
    he may have completed 83% of passes but 90% of them were backwards and if lucky 5% sideways.

i get really frustrated watching him now.

3. kent spur Guest

I agree this season he has been a bit off, but name me a player other than lloris who has been consistent....the lack of goals and assists are down to the way we play and the quality of players we have...Lennon was at his best under redknapp when we played high tempo football and utilised the wingers, something that has stopped since avb and dim Tim came in...walker bombing on also prevents Lennon getting into positions where he is most dangerous as he is constantly filling in for his right back. In summary he needs to stay for us to begin to play the way we used to when we were good. Get back to that style again and he and we will flourish.

4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Been saying this for seasons now Lemon is simply not good enough and has gone backwards, needs shipping out so he can frustrate a different fan base producing nothing. Cant shoot, cant cross, has pace but wont take players on, cant take a corner, no good in the air the list goes on.

5. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Agree Lennon hasnt looked the same sinse harry left. the style of play these days doesn't suit. how often do we see him running on to a ball at pace. even at his best the end product is rarely there not enough goals. aI still think this squad is better suited to play 4-3-3 in which Lennon wouldnt get a look. maybe time to move on.

6. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I think he has been a good servant but he is very predictable. I actually don't rate Townsend either and out of the 2 prefer Lennon.

7. Nigespur Guest

100% agreed...his stats dont lie. 3 assists and 1 goal from an attacking wide player is abysmal!!! Compare that to Lallana, Jason Puncheon, Mirallis, Walcott, Nasri, Sterling, Hazard..all these players who play in a similar position...
    .his return is by far the worst!!!
    Love his attitude and thats what has kept him onside with the fans for past 20 months but just not good enough any longer...Bye Bye Azza

8. gary fox Guest

Lennon cheats. Its an old trick and you have to know what to look for but its there. What I mean is that he isnt willing to lose his man when we have possession. Instead, he makes a move NEARER to his marker 9/10 times, so that he isnt an option. It is why in some games he goes 5 minutes without touching the ball. Against Liverpool away he had 12 touches in 90 minutes. Occasionally he will make a run and he does track
    back well but that doesnt justify his place. Incidentally....I would still prefer him to Townsend!

9. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

I'm reminded here that Aaron has been here 10 years. During that time I have lost count of the times he's got himself into a great position, past the full back, then dinks over one of his dreadful crosses.

At his peak, perhaps 4-5 years ago we would always miss him when he was out. He provided the vital width, complimenting Bale perfectly.

Since then the injuries seem to have got into his head. He takes a vital second to think before tasking his man on, losing that vital advantage.

His tracking back is better, but that's not what we want him for.

It's sad but I feel it's time to move on, a little value for us and a new chance for him.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button