Why Spurs fans are in for a summer of pain

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, July 1, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

It always amazes me when the summer transfer window opens that many teams have already done a lot of business!! Liverpool seem to have not learned from last season that loads of signings doesn't make success, but we shall see.
    Sadly, I think we are already starting to see that Spurs will have a transfer window of pain. The arrival of Wimmer is welcome and the sale of Paulinho to a club at his level is very welcome indeed, but it does appear that anyone we get linked with either moves to another club or signs a new contract at their current clubs.

The latest big name linked with us, yet again, is that of Benteke from Aston Villa. Now, the whole saga regarding Spurs and him last year became embarrassing and typical of the lunacy that Daniel Levy provides to any a transfer window.
    This time round we have been linked again but Benteke himself seems intent on signing for Liverpool. We seemed to be front runners for Danny Ings, but he also opted for the lights of the Mersey rather than the wonders of downtown Tottenham.

Levy has been pronounced by the media over the years as a hard bargainer, a great deal maker, but never by me! His constant stand offs and dealings with transfers over the years has actually started to put players and agents on red alert if Spurs come knocking.
    Why go through the process of dealing with Levy when you can sign for clubs in the Champions league or teams who openly state their ambition is winning the league? People know Levy now and rather than deal with him they are heading to other clubs or staying put.

Of course, there is still plenty of time left in the transfer window, but the season starts a week earlier this season on the 8th August, so it would be nice, if just for once we had all our targets in the bag before we set off to Old Trafford for our season opener.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or even two of our current squad are facing us come that date. Yes, it would be madness to sell Kane but if fifty million pounds is offered and Kane starts to have any doubts, levy will sell. Why? Because since 2001, that is exactly what Daniel Levy and ENIC do.

In fact, levy is so shrewd he is looking potentially at losing over 25 millions this summer providing Soldado and a few others are shipped out of the door.

Come August 8th , I will already have considered my prediction for Spurs season. Last season, I predicted 6th, but they overachieved (sarcasm) and finished fifth heading for another season in Europe's second competition.

Looking at what Spurs have to offer, new stadium, no Champions league football (again) nothing to suggest silverware is on the horizon , then I just can't see Spurs having a very fruitful transfer window. (Again)

Pochettino will need to develop the likes of Pritchard and Yedlin although Yedlin is going out on loan and now it appears so is Dele Ali. Both of those decisions, I question. Why? Because if we are to rely on youth then what is the point in signing youth and then not utilising it? Get them in the team, then we can all set our expectations realistically and perhaps think about the future.

I will of course gladly eat my words if the transfer window proves me wrong. Gladly!!!!! However, if things go as I expect them to, Spurs will be in the top 7 but not the top four. (Again)

Come on you Spurs!!! Prove me wrong!!

Deggsy56 likes this.
  2. Snoopy Guest

Same old same old drivel...yawn

Deggsy56 and Mattj78 like this.
  3. kula Guest

I wouldn't get too depressed just yet, every window we get linked with numerous players in the media were in reallity there has been no interest from the club. Let's see what happens over the next week and hopefully something will transpire to enable us all to keep the faith! COYS

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. BigMc Guest

Sums up my feelings entirely. Levy is a blight on our future development. Mr Byrite has been championed as a magical deal maker. He's nothing of the sort. His buy low sell high strategy is easy to work out over time and now many parties are reluctant to dal with him. Rummaging around in the bargain bin is fine if you're planning to just about hold your own in the Premier league but if our great club is to truly challenge for the CL places then we need to take some calculated risks in the transfer market to secure those few players who will move what is a strongish squad to th enext level. What happened with Benteke last year was embarrassing and may well come back to bite us this close season. Then we had what felt like a second time in exile last season, what with Kaboul, Soldado, Capoue etc. All products of Levy's grand strategy. Some people attribute responsibility to Baldini but in truth that rests with the man at the helm. Lord knows he gets rewarded well enough what with his £500,000 rise this year.

5. Yeah get Levy out......lets get back to Sugar boy......all those lovely reglation battles.....days in court fighting tax evasion charges.......worst medical team in the league......pitiful academy.......dire training facilities ocassional top 10 finish praying to make the Europa league via the Fair play league....the 10 worst years of football enterainment in our history....... having to advertise on tv and the media in a desperate bid to sell season tickets.....you are so right it's time for Levy to go!.

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. Mclovin Guest

Don't take this wrong way mate, but you seem like a bit of a dick!

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. Mattj78

Nice sarcasm.

8. Mattj78

Thanks. I think you'll find I am just being brutally honest. Daniel Levy is not and never has been good for the club other than off field stability.
    The people who think otherwise will eventually be proved wrong. We have made strides from a being a top 12 team to being a top 7 team. One trophy and one champions league campaign in 14 years.
    Players bought, developed and sold for mega money but never truly replaced.
    If people are happy with that, you must have the same ambition as ENIC for what should be a massive club.
    Still, soon we will have a lovely new stadium to underachieve in!!!!

9. Mattj78

Levy has done wonders for the PLC. Still, we are now a top 7 team which is great and we won one trophy!!
    Oh, and had a champions league campaign.
    In 14 years.
    To fill White Hart Lane now the club sells tickets via Stub Hub for crazy money.
    Yes, let's keep levy, he has done an awesome job of.....erm..... Oh yes, an amazing job of bringing financial stability. And great success on the pitch.....evidently.

10. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

The players that would be good for us Clyne and Benteke have already chosen LFC over us ! If we can't attract players like them we have no chance of anyone better. Don't get excited, over great signings, and finishing next season better than 6/7. Like Matt said, little will change. Defeat at old Trafford on cards, particularly if they get Lloris off us. If he goes to the Mancs I will not follow the club for the whole season in protest !
    I'm not even optimistic about the season starting.

Mattj78 likes this.
  11. Mattj78

I'm not sure why they bleeped out the word 'chap'

Felon82 likes this.
  12. Mikeyg Guest

poot article backed up by *****s. The media always link us to players where no interest exists such as Benteke.Levy had worked wonders to put the club back on the map and genuine top 4-6 club.None of these haters never have an answer ad to how to compete against clubs with wage bills alone in excess of our turnover. Idiots.

13. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Football is a BUSINESS. Businesses make money. Levy is, if nothing else, a superb businessman - I'd love to see Abramovic get £10mill for Paulinho. Like it or not, Levy and ENIC have no obligation to spend huge money on the transfer market - so they won't. What they will do is give Pochettino £ X million to spend.

We slag off the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea for buying, or not having, a football identity - and yet here we are abusing our own setup for trying to create a work ethic fit to suit our historic club.

14. BigMc Guest

Judas I have no wish to return to the Sugar years. Old Sid James was a sad attempt at a chairman who only understood cutting back but at least he knew when his race was run and passed the reins to Levy. Unless Levy can up his game markedly and get Uncle Joe to risk a small amount of his fortune , I would suggest that if he's a true supporter he should identify another party who can bring real progress and hand over as soon as possible. Football clubs are in the business of winning games and getting ahead of their local rivals not declaring small profits each year end.

Mattj78 likes this.
  15. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I wouldn't jump on Levy at this point in time. Later maybe... Konoplyanka is the reason for hold up, I believe. He (or his dad-agent) dragged the deal out of Dnipro hands into free transfers, so they can inflate contract. Would you pay Evhen 3 times of what Harry makes? Yes or no? There are no other answers available... If were not going for Konoplyanka, then who? The Ukranian is equal on both right and left foot, ideal for Poch as he can play inverse wing on any side. So if we get him, Lamela may be sold. Without Lamela decision all other forward decisions are up in the air.
    We need to upgrade at right center back, but both Kaboul and Chirichesh must be sold prior. Should other clubs all over Europe to line up for those two on the first day of the transfer window? I have my doubts here... Patience is required, although we all know it does not always work.

Last edited: July 1, 2015
  16. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Another fool basing the Enic 'success' against possibly the worst periods in the clubs history.
    A period so bad we won exactly the same amount of silverware as this Levy Empire has churned out.

Mattj78 likes this.
  17. George Lewis New Member

Why do you, or anyone expect us to win the league or get top four when we have a wage cap, have the sixth biggest wage bill, and have a policy of not spending more than 15M a player until the stadium is built? What are you logically expecting? Who from MU, MC, CFC or AFC will drop out of the top four? They all spend double on their players and double on their wages and offer CL football. We can offer nothing. So why do Spurs fans think logically we can get top four? What logical reason do you have for us to break into it? There is none. We will come 5th or 6th, like LFC, every season. Deal with it. You dont support Spurs because you want to win the league. We havent done so since 61.

Deggsy56 and Mattj78 like this.
  18. Mattj78

And you think things will change once our turnover increases in the new stadium? I think not.

Deggsy56 likes this.
  19. Mattj78

Good point, I don't thinks about expecting to win the league but Joe Lewis is a billionaire and could easily invest more money. The new stadium will change nothing.
    ENIC are in investment company and have no interest in success in the pitch as long their pockets remain full.

20. Mattj78

Does anyone not know that Sugar still offers advice to the current chairman? He openly states it every 2 seconds on his Twitter page. Sugar is still in the shadows. He never went away.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button