Vorm is a good keeper, but Lloris must play tonight

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by GarethMcKnight, January 28, 2015.

Share This Page

1. GarethMcKnight

GarethMcKnight Member

After dropping a clanger against Leicester at the weekend that resulted in Tottenham being eliminated from the FA Cup, Michel Vorm looks set to be thrown back into the breach tonight as the side play Sheffield United in the Capital One Cup.

The Netherlands international was given a vote of confidence by Mauricio Pochettino at his pre-game press conference, with the Argentine’s comments suggesting that Vorm will be given the nod to play at Bramall Lane tonight.

Personally I have confidence in the former Swansea man and feel that he is more than good enough to do a job for Spurs in a potential banana-skin fixture.

He has shown during his time in the Premier League that he is an international standard goalkeeper and Tottenham are lucky to have a goalkeeping back-up as accomplished as Vorm.

However, the word back-up is key in that sentence.

It is no reflection on Vorm’s abilities that Hugo Lloris is Spurs’ first-choice, as the France international is one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

In such an important game that could see Spurs seal a date at Wembley against London rivals Chelsea, surely Pochettino must play his best team.

United may well be a League One club, but they have shown their battling qualities at White Hart Lane in the first leg and eliminated top-flight opposition on the way to the semi-finals.

Spurs’ players can expect an intimidating atmosphere at Bramall Lane and are 90 minutes away from a shot at silverware – fielding a weakened side or holding anything back at this stage doesn’t make sense.

Lloris is a match-winner, in form and very confident – he simply must play.

Vorm is a great goalkeeper but not as good as the Frenchman and must have had his confidence knocked after his mistake at the weekend.

If Spurs do make it through to the final, Chelsea will be fielding their top starting XI – is Vorm going to get a game at Wembley just because he has played in previous rounds?

Taking the league standing out of the equation, Spurs are in for a real battle against United.

Playing the club’s best players such as Harry Kane, Jan Vertonghen and Christian Eriksen seems likely; Lloris should be in the team too.

2. peter Guest

I too have read the reports this morning that Vorm will start.....why??? absolute madness why we would not play our best player when we are one game away from Wembley

notnats likes this.
  3. sheikh352 New Member

My worry is that if Pochettino doesn't show confidence in Vorm (who is usually a sound keeper), then we risk having another Gomes on our hands. A good keeper who was never allowed to forget a few howlers - and whose confidence was then shot to pieces. If that were to happen AND Lloris were to leave - we'd be far worse off, in the long run. By Poch wrapping his arm around Vorm's shoulder and telling him "I've got faith in you, have faith in yourself", the player is far more likely to respond positively. You can begin to see it at the other end of the pitch. Soldado may not be scoring - but in the last two games, he has gained assists, by winning penalties for the side.

Where we SHOULD be concerned is at left back. If Davies is selected, then Poch MUST pick Rose to play in left midfield. Davies was totally destroyed by Jamal Campbell-Ryce in the previous leg. A large part of this was down to the total lack of protection he was given, by Christian Eriksen. Rose, like Lennon, is capable of providing width in attack and fast enough to provide support to his full back, in defence. If Poch is unwilling to select Rose in midfield, then he must play him at left back. Campbell-Ryce cannot be afforded the time on the ball and the space to use it, to the degree he enjoyed at White Hart Lane. I believe that is the most crucial selection decision to be made, tonight.

4. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Poch simly has to select the strongest team to win the game tonight so that means no Vorm.
    The team has to be;
    Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Fazio, rose, Mason, Dembele, Eriksen, Chadli (if available) Kane, Soldado.

Soldado was bought to score goals and for that he had proved poor, but if he can continue setting up chances, something we failed to against Leicester, I would give him the call tonight.

I, however think that Poch is stubborn and will pick the same team as last week. If he does, we will be out.

notnats likes this.
  5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Vorm is prone to gomes moments, he was playing second fiddle at swansea because of this when we signed him.
    We are in deep sh;t when Lloris goes he has been like superman between the sticks especially with the calamitous defence hes had.
    We should be putting out a full strength side including Lloris, sheff utd will b at it from the off and the spotlight being on vorm if he plays may be too much.

notnats and Mattj78 like this.
  6. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Lloris is now first choice captain and we have performed better with him on the field as our best player and captain so given that this game is arguably our most important so far this season it would be utter stupidity to not play our best team and to put this one away.

Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  7. Are you listening to yourself. Vorm only made one mistake, reason being he hasn't played in goal for us in a long time. Vorm should start. Lloris shall start against Chelsea in the final. COYS

8. Our very best team must be picked tonight so lloris must be in goal if our manager does not pick him and we lose he should be sacked as soon as possible.

9. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Putting a second string out means only 1 thing your not taking the game seriously.

A top squad should not have a 1st and 2nd team it should have a quality 1st team standard squad that is rotated sensibly, so that the level and ethos of the 1st team is kept.
    Players do need to be rested of course but this whole A team B team approach is to OTT and brings out lengthy draining games like the whole of the Europa lg etc.
    Tonight is an important game and should be treated as such, meaning all your best players should be selected.

Mattj78 likes this.
  10. Andrew79 Guest

Lloris is not just a world class keeper and one of our best players. He is also captain and plays a unique style: characterised as the sweeper-keeper, which helps with Poch's pressing style. A different keeper coming in and not playing this style therefore disrupts the defence.
    I like Vorm, he is a good keeper, but if we are to rotate we have to maintain the style

Mattj78 likes this.
  11. Burnt Guest

He's a decent keeper .. Id play him tonight . If rest of team does their job he,ll have feck all to do i would imagine . Big If tho , i suppose .. They have to score so really have to have a go at some stage . Should dominate large spells of the game ( prob wont do a lot with it tho ) but they should be vulnerable on the break if we play with enough pace .. Id prob start Lennon + Andros for that reason .

12. Dear burnt you have got more chance of playing than lennon.

Mattj78 likes this.
  13. big fran Guest

I understand the whole league team and cup team but I'm not a great believer in it... Once u get to the business end of competitions u have to start picking your strongest available team as Chelsea n pool did
    Last nite and lloris is certainly our no 1. I would go lloris dier walker jv Davies rose lennon dembele mason eriksen Kane.

Mattj78 likes this.
  14. Burnt Guest

Spot on Mr Gerskin , doesn't gat a look in at all anymore for what ever reason . No real pace in the team bar Walker . Hopefully we,ll make up for that by moving the ball at pace .. Tempo will be important ..

15. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Heres a thought, if this was a CL game would Spurs be putting Vorm in goal? Even if it was a group stage Lloris would play let alone a semi final.
    Yet Europa, Fa & league are treated differently.
    Crazy when you think the latter 3 we have a more viable chance of winning but choose to field a weakened side.

16. Burnt Guest

Fair point but at the end of the day they have to get some games at some point .. Playing a league 1 side , we really should be able to use the squad in these games . If not , when ? ..

17. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

I think it's a nice show of confidence from Poch. As long Vorm doesn't start in the final, I'm fine

18. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Well we made it through by the skin of our teeth as usual and with a fairly strong line-up which highlights the fact that you need your best team in games as important as this one was and although I didn't watch the game and have only seen a few highlights it looks as though this was very close to being a 3-1 defeat disaster and an embarrassment for the club.
    Look im one of those who believes in rotation and thinks that it is vital to play the squad in early cup games to integrate the team and to keep them keen and match fit but at this stage of the season and in games as vital as this one I still think it is lunacy to not start with our best player and captain. Luckily we had Eriksen to save us once again who for me is doing for Poch what Bale did for AVB.

Felon82 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button