Vertonghen set to sign new contract

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, July 28, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

If today's story in the Guardian and on Sky Sports news are true, It would appear Jan Vertonghen is about to join Hugo Lloris and sign a new deal to extend his stay with the Spurs.

Barca interest

From the end of last season, there have been rumours of interest in our Belgian centre back from Catalonian giants Barcelona, and they seem willing to pay good money for him.

“Rumours will always be there, but I just go back to Tottenham,” Vertonghen told the Belgian talk show Vive le Vélo.
    “Interest from a great club like FC Barcelona pleases me of course – this is confirmation that you’re doing well. Where there’s smoke, there’s fire, they say, but for the moment there is certainly no fire.”

Tottenham are sound financially so I don't see any need for us to be selling our best players, although we have been here rather frequently in recent seasons.

“I still had a four-year contract but I see that they have offered me a new five-year contract as a great sign of confidence,” Vertonghen told the Belgian broadcaster Radio 1.
    “It goes without saying that I would like to stay at Tottenham.”

Stay of execution

I am pleased to see reports that Jan wants to stay at Spurs and although he is ' flattered ' by the interest shown in him from abroad, he seems to feel that he can have success at Spurs and the offer of an improved five year deal will surely be appealing to the player.

I would hope he might want to show us his true class as well, as he was one player I thought was poor on occasions last season, and certainly fitted into the bracket of those ' not up to the fight. '

I also feel he was never comfortable playing in a split central defence with Dawson and when you look at him in the Chelsea game at Stamford bridge, he looked isolated and lacked confidence in his team mate, leaving him exposed and panicking.

Class is permanent

As with many of Spurs' players last season, it was confusing to see genuinely class players looking devoid of having any class at all. I still trust though that you do not become a bad player overnight and I think Pochettino will use that to his advantage this season.

In his first season, Vertonghen showed how good he is and was also strong going forwards, whereas last season, he seemed to be held back by two tactically naive managers.

Forwards

If Vertonghen does sign an extension, then we will have made two very good signings this summer and with the other talent at our disposal, there can only be a feeling that this could be a really good season.

As ever, COME on you Spurs!!

notnats likes this.
  2. Spurs man Guest

Make it four signings.

Lloris and Vertonghen signing an extension feels like a new signing. Davies and Vorm both quality first team players, well Vorm first team for Cup games.

Actually our best signin could very well e pochettino!

Mattj78 and Ramos43 like this.
  3. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Still to be completely convinced by Jan as a CB, in the EPL. But he is a player with a big reputation, good skill-set and the potential to improve further. He signature would also represent a HUGE boost for the squad, ahead of the new season, as I am in no doubt he is a valued and important member of the Spurs dressing room.

If he does sign a new deal, it will be another victory/coup for Levy, and his commitment to moving Tottenham Hotspur forward. Some Spurs fans are so quick to jump on the Chairman's case ,spouting all kinds of tripe in an attempt to tarnish his name, when things get difficult, and tough calls have to be made.

But they NEVER acknowledge the work he does year in, year out to make this club more competitive ON, and OFF, the field!

Hardly balanced/fair, is it?

When Lloris signed his contract and made a statement referring to 'The Club' several times in a positive light . He was talking about Levy!

Hugo's Statement

“I spoke with the Chairman and I know the Club is as ambitious as ever,” said Hugo. “It’s very important to feel at home at a club and for my family to feel well. I enjoy a great relationship with the Club and the fans. The arrival of Mauricio Pochettino is important as well. I have a good feeling with him. He is also ambitious.

"Everything is clear in my head and if I’ve signed a new contract it’s because I trust the Club and I’m sure we will progress in a positive way.

“Last season wasn’t the season we all hoped for but we were still able to finish sixth in the league. We know where we have to improve, the Club also knows and there is a feeling and a confident connection between the Club and the players.”

And, when Michel Vorm signed from Swansea and stated 'Talks with staff and board during my first visit to Tottenham Hotspur gave me good feeling right away. Tough competition awaits.
    “I know that the club, the Chairman and the Manager all wanted me to come here.”
    To a large extent, he was talking about Levy.

I expect Vertonghen to say something upon signing his potential new deal, too.

So, I hope those of you that are balanced, fair and well-informed in your opinions remember the positive impact that the Chairman has had on the club, on many levels, the next time you decide to voice any grievances you may have with the man.

notnats likes this.
  4. Mattj78

What I hope is that Pochettino decides on his best side very early. The chopping and changing last season was ridiculous and meant players struggled to know whether they were coming or going.
    I expect to see Soldado up front with Lamela, Lennon in a free role, Davies, Kaboul, Walker, Vertonghen, Townsend on the left and then the midfield I am not 100% surely if we wills see Sandro, Paulinho or Capoue there or of indeed he will still bring someone in. Whatever the team, I don't expect to see much rotation for league games.

5. Mattj78

Levy has undoubtedly done good work and made Tottenham more stable financially and yes, we have seen some.great players come, but my gripe has always been that as we look on the cusp of something special, he is very quick to pull the trigger and my main point has always been that I want to see the chairman Gove more time to a manger rather than the constant hiring and firing of manager he has selected.
    Levy is by no means daft and he is a well known tough negotiator, but I do want to see some stability for once as that is what in my opinion is needed to move to the next level. A consistent with team and manager is what is called for and I hope levy allows that this time.

6. big fran Guest

Probably the best signing we will make this summer world class performer. Temperamental at times yet but top players are. He made it clear that he wanted to play centre half but too often played at full bk last term..a game here and there yes
    but not half a season due to lack of depth and poor squad players. Poch needs to make him a key man as u do with egos like this.

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Keeping hold of Jan and Hugo is as good as new signings, fantastic news even if its for the short term only. Before last seasons shambles Jan was outstanding and was one of the best CBs in the EPL, im not sure what went wrong for Jan last year he was obviously very frustrated, maybe he was struggling with and carrying injuries, and maybe he was struggling with the caretaker manager. probably both. If Jan's head is right he will be back to playing his best football

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button