Vertonghen happy at the Lane and ready to work with… Pochettino?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, May 25, 2014.

Share This Page

1. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Agree to a point that young players need patience and encouragement, any player new to a club or even the country needs time to adapt, sometimes up to a year or more. Unfortunately if they are not performing they often get criticism and sometimes abuse. But what can we say its a tough league, the toughest in the world and any player that wants to be part of it must adapt mentally as well as physically, if not they will be found out. there's nowhere to hide on a football pitch, you are either good enough or you are not good enough.
    Look there are often mitigating circumstances that can go unnoticed and overlooked, a player brought back too soon after injury, a player playing out of position, maybe the club forgot his birthday cake.
    Ramos - in the case of Rose you ask us to consider a few mitigating circumstances such as did the lad fully recover mentally from his toe injury, did his confidence suffer, its only his 2nd full season, expectations weighing on his shoulders. Well with all things considered I have to ask is he really good enough ? for me its a no. He is not a kid, 24. especially when he's English and he's been at the club for years. He doesn't need time to adapt to the league he should be there by now. most of the issues you mention are real issues but they are problems that all players have to deal with and only they can overcome them with inner strength and yes, support and encouragement from the club, but ultimately its up to them to fill their potential. However sometimes they are just not good enough for a team with aspirations. The biggest problem for Rose in my opinion is that he's not a LB. Its not a natural position for him. Its a failed experiment that has cost us this year, weve put too much faith in Rose as our only real option as LB and we have been carved to bits over and over on the left. The club want him to be something of a wingback but his go forward is mostly not good enough and his positioning and awareness is terrible. He's just not good enough for this club. I agree with a few others Cole would bring some much needed stability to the defence and the left.

Felon82 likes this.
  2. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

I agree that LB isn't his natural possession but I do think it could prove to be his best! At 23, Rose is relatively young and when you think about the amount of games the kid has played (93 senior CAREER apps since joining Spurs in 2007) it is EASY, when you think about it, to understand why his progress may NOT be at the level of other players of a similar age.

Compare that to Andros Townsend for example, a player one year his junior, who has amassed 121 career apps (at domestic level) and you can see how much Dannys development has been stunted.

Add the fact the kid has recently had his career turned upside down with a switch of position, and I can't help but have sympathy for the lad.

Do I expect MOST supporters to consider these things before judging a player? No. But perhaps they should....especially when it's been highlighted for them.

Like I said, Rose enjoyed a GREAT season up in the North East, working for a manager and set of supporters that would have afforded him the PATIENCE, SUPPORT and ENCOURAGEMENT that is not always evident at some of the bigger sides in the league.

And Rose was also VERY impressive BEFORE he suffered his injury this season, capping some bright early season displays with a fantastic strike in the Europa League.

The hardest part of his transition to LB would of been learning things which he had NEVER had to contemplate during his career before, including his positioning and awareness in relation to a back four. These are NOT easy things to grasp for players who have spent their ENTIRE careers as defenders (like Jan Vertonghen, David Luiz and Steven Caulker) let alone someone who is a converted defender.

Lets remember the level he is operating at, the obstacles he has to overcome and the promise he has shown. Instead of simply remembering the times he has struggled.

Rose has made some KEY contributions for Spurs over the course of the last campaign and given the right kind of guidance, preferably by Mauricio Pochettino, he will go on to make many, many more.

3. notnats

We have to judge a player on his overall performances over a year in a given position even if its not his fault that he's been put in a position that is not his natural and preffered role.The fault belongs to the club for not sorting out the LB problem that has been glaringly obvious for a few years now. Instead, and for some reason that I cant fathom the club decided to dump BAE for the season and go with the unproven DR as our no 1 LB. There have been a few poor decisions this last year but for me this one was a very costly one indeed. As I said before a faild experiment.
    Im not so sure that Rose will improve as a LB he's either good enough or he's not good enough. Im not that interested in mitigating excuses about his sore toe or time to adapt. He's had three years in the role in this league so how much time does he need? and what if he doesn't improve to the required level, simple, we continue to get carved up on the left as predictibaly as last year. Risk factor ? or do we get in a proper LB I dont have a problem with someone of coles abilities and experience and im certain that not many would have a problem with Luke Shaw either.

4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Im hearing a lot of excuses again about an average player, and how we should be the team that sticks with him while he puts in little effort and contributes to conceding goals in the hope that 1 day he may realise that as a full back your supposed to keep an eye on the winger. Poor little Danny how harsh of us to expect a proper LB in a team that 'claims' its aiming for top 4 and honours.

5. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Matt, why is it that your the FIRST person to dish out a bit of 'banter' (as I see it), but when I do it, you get your knickers in a twist, play the victim, and claim I'm some sort 'bully'? I mean how does your latest remark have ANYTHING to do with football, eh?

And yet I have NO problem with it at all.... but I would suggest that if you can't take it, you PROBABLY shouldn't dish it out!!! ;)

Guys, I just think it's about taking a longer-term vision when looking at players. Are you saying that there is NOTHING about Rose's game which you find impressive?

Personally, I would take Danny over BAE EVERY day of the week!!! The most frustrating thing about Benoit was his tendency to stand about 5 yards of the opposing winger, and simply allow crosses to come into the box.

Didn't Kyle Walker endure a difficult 2nd season after bursting on to the scene?And he bounced back to have a good season last term. Why can't Danny do the same?

Notnats you keep adding on an extra year to bio/cv of DR, but the truth is that was ONLY his 2nd FULL season at this level, and in that particular position.

Look, I'm not saying that Rose is some sort of wonderkid or that he is the best player in that position that Spurs can get.

And, if Spurs do want to provide Danny with some good competition, or simply want an upgrade in that area of the field, then Felipe (Atletico Madrid) Alex Sandro (Porto) or the HUGELY talented young Spaniard, Alberto Moreno would all be realistic, and exciting, targets.

6. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I was never a great fan of BAE as a defender but when he got forward he offered more than Rose. Maybe he has become complacent with the lack of competition but although his positional sense may be due to playing in an unfamiliar position, that does not excuse the number of occasions when he just stood and watched and failed to track back. It looked like he simply could not be bothered. Pochettino may well be able to get the best out of him and will be showing the exit door to anyone who doesn't pull their weight.
    We need another left back anyway, but whether that be BAE coming back as cover with Rose first choice or vice versa or an additional signing, we shall see. I think we can probably rule out Cole and Shaw though.

7. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We are being sold down the river keep fielding these below par players. We are being charged serious money to watch a team that talks about being a top 4 side but doesnt invest any money into achieving it. The club over the last few years has lost the plot big time, we are a big club that shouldnt be fielding weak players in any positions, you should earn the right to pull on the jersey not get games because theres no one better. To be a top 4 or cup winning side you need a winning mentality, every player must be efficient minimum of their job and contribution to the team and cause, succesful sides dont make endless excuses they persevere and make things happen by not accepting sub standard. This whole be patient get behind them is bs when the quality is not there clapping a donkey will not turn it into a race horse!

8. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Felon you NEVER disappoint in your readiness to appear negative about all things Spurs!;)

Indeed, I don't think I've EVER seen you write something remotely positive/uplifting about the club, which makes you wonder why exactly you bother 'support' ( I use the term VERY loosely) Tottenham Hotspur, at all.

Like it, or not, Spurs are where they are in regards to the clubs development. If your SO unhappy about it why don't you decide to support a club that matches your ideals/ambitions? It REALLY is that simple...

Players are human beings in case you've forgotten, not robots. They will suffer from self-doubt, a lack of confidence and having a few off days just like many other people. Because the are getting paid x-amount, or playing for a big club unfortunately doesn't change those things.

Look at the form of a Mesut Ozil if you need evidence that ANYONE can suffer from a dip in form when confidence is low.

I was actually saying the same thing about Ade when the VAST majority where slaughtering him for an apparent lack of effort/form last season.

Players feed of CONFIDENCE. Some are able to generate that confidence, themselves, from within. Others require a good run of games, or a reassuring word directed in their ear. etc, etc

The MENTAL side of football is just as important as the TACTICAL and TECHNICAL aspects of it. Unfortunately, that is a side of the game that often goes overlooked by the average punter.

9. notnats

Ramos- I stand corrected, I did actually know that DR was 23, I should have said nearly 24, july I Believe. I never said he had had more than two full seasons. He has had two full seasons and a few years in the squad playing the odd game and coming off the bench. It was also during this time that he was slotted in as cover for BAE in the LB role, anyway I dont care for stats at the moment I still dont buy this long term vision with Rose, look he's not a LB and he's not good enough in my opinion, however im happy for him to prove me wrong. Id take BAE over Rose all day but id rather someone better. This isnt wishful thinking, this is an area that needs fixing. players will go out, players will come in, hopefully one of them will be a competent LB

10. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Ramos your blind optimism is ridiculous did you actually watch any of our games last season? If you genuinely think fielding players like Rose and Naughton regular is going to bring us any actual success you are extremely deluded.
    The point I am making is that Spurs are a big club and we as fans are being short changed with these below standard players weve needed a solid LB for seasons, A 20 goal striker, a solid CB pairing that play consistantly together, wingers that produce etc.
    We currently have no manager, having sacked 2 last season, weve finished a place lower 2 years on the spin, our GD was worst in top 8 by far, we recieved some of the heaviest beatings of recent times, after a supposed 100 mil of 'talent' brought to the club these are all real actual facts Ramos with out this vomit enducing rose tinted twist you seem to have on anything Spurs please explain the positives that i should be so happy about?

11. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Felon- Doesn't every team want/need those things and oh, we have finished a WHOLE place lower!!! The club has had a disappointing season and have suffered our customary hammering by a few of the big boys...:(:confused::(:(:confused::(

Get a grip, my friend, Spurs are NOT the finished article by a long shot, and while the club attempts to find a MORE 'successful' formulae, we as supporters have two CLEAR options:

1. Whine, bitch, moan, complain, cry, sulk and poison/infect the club we purport to love/follow from within.

Or

2. We could actually do what we all CLAIM to do, and SUPPORT the club (through the highs and the lows, the good and the bad, ups and downs, through thick and through thin).

Crystal Palace supports are a prime example of the latter option with their COMMITMENT, FAITH and BELIEF rewarded with their teams impressive end of season form and survival in the top-flight.

Even the majority of the Arsenal support have shown INCREDIBLE faith in Wenger despite their trophy 9 year wait for a trophy. And we all saw how they were repaid a fortnight ago at Wembley.

I'll you this Felon, the BEST kind of FAITH IS BLIND...as it means it originates from an internal source/a feeling that isn't EASILY swayed/ clouded by external influences...

So I suppose you could call my faith in Spurs blind, as many did 15, or so, years ago when I said Spurs would become one of the biggest/best clubs in Europe.

Like I said Felon, if your NOT happy, content or optimistic about your lot, why don't you do the NOBLE/DECENT thing and take your NEGATIVITY to another club (preferably any of the sides above us). I can assure you that you would actually be doing Tottenham Hotspur a favour, and your 'support' WONT BE MISSED!!!

Here's a snippet of what two of the LBs I have mentioned have to offer:

Alberto Moreno would be a MAJOR coup as he is emerging as one of the BEST young talents in Europe and has already been included in Spain WC squad. Felipe is a seasoned professional who at 28 would offer Spurs a HUGE amount of experience having played in both the EL and CL finals.

Either player would represent a quality addition to the Spurs ranks.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  12. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Ramos

I want spurs to be a success by winning cups and taking part in the CL, you are happy with us selling our best players, fielding sub standard players and falling short all the time while you make excuses and wear failure like a badge of honour.

And you say im the negative one. Striving for the best is not negative its what winners do.

Mattj78 likes this.
  13. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Signing quality players is all very well but we need to keep them as well. Spurs should be in the top four. Joe Lewis has plenty of cash and we have improved since Levy came in but as I have said before the last three or so seasons have shown levy to have some strange ideas of how to move the club forward from this point.
    I will support Spurs no matter who is manager or who runs the club and will get behind the team I have supported for thirty odd years, but I do expect to see a team with Joe Lewis amount of money doing better than they are.
    Booing in the ground never helps the team but the negative atmosphere around the Lane this season, and it has been a truly awful atmosphere apart from Ledders testimonial, has been caused by levy failing to back his OWN fans over the Y word and fans having to try and enjoy a game without knowing if they will get thrown out or not!!!
    Positivity has to come from the top and when I look at Mr Levy I rarely see any positivity and as for his pointless statements.
    Once Pochettino is appointed, the statement from Levy will be along the lines of Spurs need to play the Tottenham way and drive forward in a new direction. And he will no doubt drivel on about how Spurs fans are the life blood of the club even though he rarely treats as such.
    As long as the negativity stays outside of ninety minutes, then there is no issue with it at all.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button