Vertonghen happy at the Lane and ready to work with… Pochettino?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, May 25, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Jan Vertonghen turned out to be a bit of a pantomime villain last season. He is undoubtedly a top defender, but his attitude at times was poor and it appeared his relationship with Tim Sherwood was somewhat strained. His ‘injury’ picked up in the defeat at Liverpool enraged many Spurs fans as it seemed more like he just didn’t want to be on the pitch, and maybe it was his last game for Spurs.

Sky sources

Sky is now reporting that Jan is not looking for an ‘escape route’ and he would be happy to work with our new manager, whoever that may be.

"I've got a couple more years at Tottenham and I'm happy, and I want to stay there, so it doesn't matter who the manager will be," Vertonghen said.

Negotiations

Although sources have been quick to link Vertonghen with the fact he has worked with De Boer before along with Eriksen, Vertonghen’s comments could be seen to suggest that a managerial appointment is close to be being completed,

"He (de Boer) is a good manager but there are other good managers as well so, again, the chairman will make a good decision."

Vertonghen seems to be confident that the chairman will make a good decision and one wonders if perhaps the players already have a good idea of who that man will be and despite recent rumours that Pochettino may be ready to ‘snub’ Spurs, the bookies are certainly of the opinion that the new manager WILL be Mauricio Pochettino. (current odds 2/5 @ all time low)

Future is bright

It will be positive for the new manager to have players committing to the club while he tries to rebuild and turn an already talented group of players into the winners that they should and must be.

But whoever the new manager is, it looks like Jan Vertonghen will be at the heart of our defence for at least another season along with Sandro, Lloris and Eriksen.

As ever, come on you Spurs.

Ramos43 likes this.
  2. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Jan didn't enjoy the best of seasons last year, and to be honest, I DON'T think he is the world class player many billed him to be, BEFORE he even kicked a ball at WHL.

With that being said, though, he HAS got the potential to push himself into that bracket providing he cleans up on a few areas of his game. Most notably his AWARENESS and TRACKING of RUNS.

Personally, I don't think Jan enjoyed his football, much, last term. The team appeared lop-sided, unorganised and failed to play with the style/fluidity many of us have come to expect from a Spurs side, and those things WOULD have had a knock on effect on the club as a whole.

After a encouraging start to the last campaign, in terms of both results and performances, the team struggled to maintain any sort of consistency, leading the remainder of the season to become a bit of a roller-coaster for us all...including the players.

Make no mistake about it, the players WANT to be part of a side that is free-flowing, confident and renowned for playing attractive football, as much as we want to see one. And when that is not the case, it is easy/understandable for CERTAIN individuals within the team, as it is for SOME supporters, to feel dejected, discouraged and disenchanted with life at their club.

But EVERY summer, brings with it new horizons. And with The Chairman's pledge to bring in a manager that will be faithful to the clubs traditions (with regards to STYLE of play), I have no doubt we will see a more ENTHUSED set of players.

Great news on Jan, though. Despite him appearing EASILY replaceable on the back of his performances last season, keeping a player of his UNDOUBTED ability, and status, will send out a STRONG message to EVERYONE connected to the club...Including those within the dressing room.

What we need now is Vertonghen, Sandro, Rose and Lloris all to put pen to paper over news deals, and focus on helping this GREAT club of ours enjoy the season of our dreams next year!!!

Last edited: May 27, 2014
    VASpur likes this.
  3. Mattj78

I would rather Danny Rose put pen to paper elsewhere. He is one of the worst players I have seen in a spurs shirt since Dean Austin.
    Levy has indeed promised a manager that will play with the traditions of the club in mind so does that no that beg the question as to why he appointed AVB on the first place. His Porto team played containing football. In fact other, than Redknapp and Hoddle, levy hasn't really chosen managers known for exhilarating football. It seems odd it has taken him 13 years to work out it would be good to have a manager that fits the clubs traditions.
    I hope this time he is true to his word.

4. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

I think that Danny Rose, like the rest of the team, struggled last season, after making a promising start to the campaign.

We should remember that this was ONLY his 2nd full-season in the EPL, and his 1st campaign as a REGULAR starter for Spurs.

I agree that his game requires PLENTY of refining if he is going to succeed at a club like Spurs, but I have seen enough of Rose to suggest that he has the potential to go on and become a VERY good LB should he choose to put in the necessary work.

Lets NOT forget that he played his ENTIRE career at LM before switching to LB, and that is NOT an easy transition to make considering fullback is PROBABLY the MOST demanding position in a football team in the modern game.

Full-back is NOTORIOUSLY a old/experienced man's position, hence the reason there are so few world class players in that area of the pitch, under 25.

At 23, Danny, with the right guidance STILL has time to develop his game and become more of a polished player in that position.

I would hardly of called Juande Ramos or Martin Jol defensive managers, as both have shown in their respective careers a inkling to field attack minded teams.

I even think AVB TRIED to do this at Spurs. But what he ultimately failed to appreciate is that attack-minded and free-flowing football is based upon having a COHESIVE, FLUID and EXPRESSIVE TEAM, rather than fielding a 'team' based on INDIVIDUAL players goalscoring records .i.e. Paulinho and Dempsey.

Redknapp did well because he understood the basics, worked with good players and was kept from creating our very own version of 'Dads army' by Levy.

All this talk of 13 years is ABSOLUTE NONSENSE too, and is just another bandwagon for people like yourself to jump on!!!

Spurs have come on LEAPS and BOUNDS in those 13 years so PLEASE don't attempt to insult my intelligence, by talking about 13 years to me.

In 13 years, Tottenham Hotspur has gone from a club that would be happy with a top 10 finish and a decent cup run, to a club that is disappointed not to finish in a CL spot and regularly houses some of the best talent in Europe...Not bad for a Chairman who has failed to hire men fit the clubs traditions, eh?

It could ALWAYS be worst Matthew, so instead of CONSTANTLY focusing on the mistakes Levy has made, why don't you TRY focusing on all the good he has done too!

You never know, you might even surprise yourself with how much Levy has contributed to restoring the clubs reputation to where it is today.;)

VASpur likes this.
  5. Mattj78

I have ALWAYS made it very clear that Levy has done an excellent job in regard to our finances off the field and that he has taken us from a top ten team to being a top five or six. The point regarding housing some of the best players in Europe, as I have said before is pointless because Spurs have always had talent signing for them so I simply do not buy that levy has suddenly transferred us in that regard.
    You used the phrase about insulting your intelligence but that is rather egotistical and you seem to be suggesting that anyone who does not accept your views is wrong and that is not true.
    We can call the facts or opinions but no one's views are any less worthwhile than anyone else's on this blog or any other. We will of course disagree but that is fine.
    You talk about a bandwagon but actually the point is that some Spurs fans have become disillusioned that Levy has started to stall when moving onto the next level. He said that Redknapp had taken us as far as he could, fourth twice and I believe he may have taken us far as he can as a chairman. The new training facility is amazing, I have been to it although sadly they wouldn't allow photos, but if we do not move to the next level, then the team can train on plastic for all the good it does.
    The stadium does need upgrading, we all know that but the point is that a lot of spurs fan believe we will be in that stadium by 2017. They believe that because levy said we would be in the stadium by then, that it is true but he actually said that it is feasible we will be in the new stadium. That is very different.
    Levy hides behind his statements and seems to try and sat the right things but just ends up patronising the fans.
    It was levy who failed to back his own clubs fans over the ridiculous Y word incident where three fans were arrested but then correctly cleared.
    I maintain that Daniel Levy has done a lot of good but I also do not think he can take us any further until he stops firing managers at the drop of a hat and selling our best players.
    I hope as much as anyone that he proves me wrong and will be delighted if he does so. I will admit when I am wrong, not a problem.
    In regard to 13 years, we have moved five places but I also accept that the Premier league has changed in that time due to the amount of money the bigger clubs have.
    Levy has done a good job but some of his statements about the stadium and the special relationship with Real Madrid have been smokescreens and he has to accept that he has made mistakes.
    If in13 years I took a business from being average to being good, that would not be seen as being success by the shareholders.
    I respect your views but have not insulted your intelligence and it would be good if you could perhaps give your views without having to tell me and other contributors that you are always right.
    None of us is right, we all just have different opinions and views.
    We all love Spurs and want the best for them but there are always going to be different views on how people think things should be done. I am not necessarily right and I am afraid, neither are you.

6. DomTFC Guest

I think if you look at any of the Tottenham defenders individually if you base your assessment on this season you could say the same about most of them, the only consistent performer attacking or defensive was Loris, he was the best defender by far and had to play sweeper cleaning up all the garbage they let in, considering the changes of manager, lineups, and systems and that no outfield players were that consistent I think that it would be wrong to crucify Vertonghen or Rose, particularly Vertonghen he has shown he is Tottenham's best defender, his talents were not as clear this season for the above mentioned reasons, but his previous debut season showed what he is capable of, writing him off would show a serious lack of judgment.

7. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Agree Dom. Hopefully Spurs will be able to field a more SETTLED, and BALANCED team (in key areas) next season that will afford the the ENTIRE unit more confidence, cohesion and reassurance.

I think we all believe Jan could be a MAJOR player for Tottenham if he is FULLY focused on his development and on the field issues. The thing with Vertonghen is though, I am not COMPLETELY sure he has that aggressive/determined nature that a lot of the best CB around the world possess. Sometimes the Belgian boys in general, can appear a little too LAID BACK.

I mean, I have seen on certain occasions where Jan goes into a 50/50 challenge, be it in the air or on the deck, looking less than convincing about his desire to win the ball.

And ,hey, listen, I understand NOBODY wants to get hurt. But I just wonder if his style isn't better suited to a league where his good looks, and health may be at a reduced level of risk! lol

Any how, if he can IMPROVE upon the form he showed during his 1st season at the club, then Spurs will have some player on our books.

I am curious to know, though, how much effect Tim Sherwoods remarks about 'people playing like they were doing the club a favour', etc, etc on Sky had on Jan's decision to apparently come out and clarify his position at Spurs?

Because I think it was fairly obvious as to who Tim was referring to when intimating players were not pulling their weight, and perhaps even feigning/milking injuries so not to be selected.

MAYBE Vertonghen will feel like he has a point to prove next season....

As far as Rose is concerned, I forgot to mention that I think the kid WILL benefit from having some PROPER competition, at LB, next season.

Danny strikes me as someone who needs to be pushed MENTALLY to get the very best out of him, and with all due respect to the likes Fryers, I am not sure that having a developmental prospect as your direct rival is REALLY going to motivate you to keep aspiring to reach new levels in each game. Perhaps the same could even be said about Walker at RB, although Ryan Fredericks looks like a young player who could SERIOUSLY push Kyle for that RB position should he be given the chance.

Might sound crazy but Ashley Cole, anyone?

VASpur likes this.
  8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Everyone of our defenders are suspect in one way or another individually and even worse collectively, they were an utter embarrassment this season. We will never seriously challenge for anything with the inconsistent sick notes half hearted clueless error prone donkeys we have at the back.

9. Mattj78

Vertonghen can be brilliant if he wants to be and last season I think it was clear that he was one who Tim was talking about not pulling h us weight. His response was to sulk which for a grown man is simply pathetic. He does have a point to prove and I hope he proves it.
    Rose is lazy.

10. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Jans first season was brilliant and had future leader written all over it. Last season we saw a much different Jan, head down and the sulks. He really doesn't like playing LB does he. I dont want to give up on Jan just yet and id like to see him back to his best. Maybe he needs stability at his club to be at his best, he obviously wasnt at his best under Sherwood. I hope that Jan and Lloris stick around a while longer to build a defensive unit. Cant say the same for Rose unfortunatly, I dont see him ever being a top class player in any position, he's certainly no LB and although it can be said he didnt have much support on the left his positioing and reading of the game is woeful. If you want to call him a WB then his go foward isnt very effective even though he had one or two OK games near the end of season, overall he was not good enough and doesn't look like he ever will be.

11. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I expect any player to pledge allegiance to the club they contracted by. Any pro knows how make himself liked by fans. One must stick to two points only:1. I love being here; 2. I am terribly upset by the way l played, but I intend to work hard to improve in order to rich the top level I am capable of.
    I value the words very little. Once deeds become apparent I may consider to change my opinion of player that was quite disappointing this past season.

12. DomTFC Guest

Ramos says

I think we all believe Jan could be a MAJOR player for Tottenham if he is FULLY focused on his development and on the field issues. The thing with Vertonghen is though, I am not COMPLETELY sure he has that aggressive/determined nature that a lot of the best CB around the world possess. Sometimes the Belgian boys in general, can appear a little too LAID BACK.

I mean, I have seen on certain occasions where Jan goes into a 50/50 challenge, be it in the air or on the deck, looking less than convincing about his desire to win the ball.

My reply

Fair point maybe he is a bit scared of messing his neatly parted hair up, (an increasingly common trait in the modern footballer) he is a ball playing centre back rather than an old fashioned bone crunching tackler (I am the latter so maybe I respect the finer skills he possesses)

Ramos says
    As far as Rose is concerned, I forgot to mention that I think the kid WILL benefit from having some PROPER competition, at LB, next season.

Danny strikes me as someone who needs to be pushed MENTALLY to get the very best out of him, and with all due respect to the likes Fryers,

Might sound crazy but Ashley Cole, anyone?[/QUOTE]

My reply

Again this is a fair assessment, I see that Rose has a bit of a chip on his shoulder similar to Lennon (both small and try to appear 'nuggety' they both have a bit of a hot head (more so the younger Rose) and an expectation of expecting calls to go their way, 'a strong sense of entitlement' perhaps?. And many Spurs fans would crucify me for this, right or wrong, I have to actually agree, I would take Cole on a heartbeat he is a proven success at LB on a free, in a position of dire need, not signing him would be more negligent.

13. DomTFC Guest

OK I am not saying I believe any of this, as there is so much BS and false information created to drum up interest in lets say football reporting or blogging (as its clearly not journalism as they fact check with several key trusted sources) but I will let you read it for yourself,

The key comments are below about the confirmation of Poch, by again a blogger (which may equal zero credibility) could be complete B.S (likely), however I don't know. The context is the situation how the Tottenham staff that apparently leaked the photo or confirmed it was at Hotspur lane, have been fired and a Soton are livid that this was an illegal approach to M.P by Tottenham. It could be just smoke and mirrors to support their own lies? it could be true?

http://theboyhotspur.com/the-mother-of-all-meltdowns/?

Darren lake May 25, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Pochettino I’m told is 100% done and we will announce it this week. I don’t get in the know but I live near southampton and get told some really good stuff from that end. It’s a case of settling the compensation with saints, he intends on bringing his whole support team.

Harry Hotspur May 25, 2014 at 9:02 pm
    Cheers Darren! How many are in his entourage, do you know?

Darren lake May 25, 2014 at 9:07 pm
    At least half a dozen and he himself works close with youth players, he’s always at the u21 & u18 matches. I live in Shirley Southampton and all my family are saints fans. Saints are offering him everything to stay but he’s made his mind up. I don’t know nothing at our end but for sure he’s agreed to come 3 year deal worth around £10.5 million.

14. Felon82 Well-Known Member

As much as i dnt like Cole the bloke does know how to defend, maybe he could teach the rest of our defenders this art.

15. Mattj78

I would expect Saints to first announce they have allowed Pochettino permission to speak with Spurs or vice versa first of all. Mr levy making an unofficial approach is unthinkable....Ramos, Hoddle, Redknapp!! Lol. I would be amazed to suddenly see Pochettino announced as our new manager before he has even resigned from the Saints etc.

16. Fatspurs Guest

Yeah I got the same news pooch had a meeting with the spurs big boys explains why verts doesn't mind staying hopefully it's all done and levy hasn't scared him off.

17. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

I am NOT saying would should sign a 33 year-old Ashley Cole, but if there is a BETTER player from which Danny Rose could learn from, I am struggling to think of them!

The FACT that Cole is nearing the end of his career too, would mean that Rose is likely to find his long-term future at the club under less threat, and be more happy to make the most of having arguably the best LB of a generation available to him for advice/guidance.

I DON'T have a view on Cole the person as I don't know him personally, but always strikes me as someone who has been popular amongst his team-mates. And there is little doubt that those within the Spurs dressing-room would RELISH the prospect of having someone of Ashley's know-how, experience and cultured in the art of winning integrated into the group.

He would automatically get the RESPECT of his peers, and I can't help but think that players such as Lloris, Vertonghen, Sandro (well the whole squad in fact) would see this as a BIG/ IMPORTANT signing for the club at this stage in our development.

We have seen the kind of impact that a world renowned, EXPERIENCED, player joining Spurs has had in the past, with the likes of Edgar Davids and William Gallas both helping to move the club forward with their respective approaches to the game. Perhaps, Ashley could do the same....providing he leaves his air-rifle locked away, safely, at home.

I have NO doubt that Levy would have given a potential short-term deal for the former England LB REAL thought. But I wonder if his wages are likely to prove a stumbling block given his age and his recent fitness issues.

I also find it interesting that Adam Lallana's 'rubber-stamped' move to Liverpool has gone pretty quiet over the last few weeks, coinciding with Spurs' intensified interest in hiring MP as our new Head-Coach. The same could also be said about Luke Shaw, a player who enjoys a VERY close relationship with Pochettino, proposed £27m move to Man Utd.

I know it is EXTREMELY presumptuous to suggest, given the FACT that Pochettino has not even signed for Spurs, yet. But could one, or in fact both deals be linked with the destination of their HIGHLY regarded mentor?

Lets be honest, Shaw is NOT a £27m player by any stretch of the imagination, but should Spurs sell a few players (namely Paulinho who appears to have little appetite to play for Spurs, for a fee of £22m), Spurs COULD quite easily afford to bring in both players for the reported £50m it would take.

If Spurs bring in Pochettino, that's GREAT. But if Spurs could bring in MP, Shaw, Lallana and Fabien Delph, three player that WILL form the nucleus of the England team/squad for the next Euro campaign, I am CONVINCED we will be looking at yet ANOTHER shrewd piece of business by Chairman Daniel Levy.

Walker/Fredericks Kaboul/Fryers Vertonghen/Chiriches Shaw/Rose

Sandro/Capoue

Dembele/Bentaleb Delph/Carroll/Holtby?/Paulinho?

Townsend/Lamela/Lennon Lallana/Eriksen/Chadli/Sigurdsson?

Soldado/Ade?/Kane

The ? marks represent all the players that I would be open to allowing to leave in the summer (for various reasons) in order to help fund any new signings.

Alongside the likes of Naughton, Livermore, Falque and Dawson

VASpur likes this.
  18. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Ramos -

Ever thought Rose just isnt good enough? For a totally unproven player his atitude is appalling. He shows no desire or hunger, his positional sense is the worst ive seen, he offers nothing going forward or defensively. We deserve better and should be looking for a serious long term LB, in fact we should be looking at a serious long term defence while were at it.

Mattj78 likes this.
  19. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Felon

Wouldn't you agree that he was VERY impressive whilst on loan at Sunderland? And don't you think he enjoyed a GOOD/PROMISING start to the last campaign, before he got injured?

Because I do on both accounts!

Granted, when he came back from his toe injury his form was inconsistent at best. And yes he looked at times to be slow to recover his position on the pitch. Naive, at times, defensively, and hit-and- miss in attack, Danny did NOT enjoy the best end to the campaign. I AGREE with you.

But, for me, there are mitigating circumstances as far as Roses end of season form is concerned, but I have seen enough of the kid to suggest giving him MORE than one season to adjust to life at Spurs.

People keep talking about Levy sacking managers too soon. But the SAME people are just as quick to write off (young) players... It's extraordinary when you think about it.

What would of happened if Liverpool sold Henderson after a MEDIOCRE/POOR first season or two at Liverpool?

Or how stupid would Arsenal, and their fickle supporters, of looked had Wenger caved in to the fans demands to get rid of Ramsay?

Young players NEED time and patience.... yet what using a forum such as this has taught me is that fans have JUST as much regard for those two concepts as the owners they criticize!!!

Take young Rose for example. Does ANYBODY bother to ask themselves:

• If the lad has FULLY recovered physically/mentally from his injury
    • Was he rushed back too soon
    • Had the effects of playing in the EPL, EUROPE, and the C1C caught up with him?
    • Did his CONFIDENCE suffer as a result of certain sections of the 'support' getting on his back, and/or a couple of mistakes he committed
    • In ONLY his 2nd FULL season at EPL was he STILL adapting to playing in a relatively new, and VASTLY more demanding, position for him.
    • Were the expectations of being a REGULAR at a club like Tottenham weighing on his shoulders.

I could go on, but I won't.

My argument is that young players need PATIENCE, ENCOURAGEMENT and SUPPORT from all sections of the club.
      They also NEED to be taken out of the firing line from time-to-time to allow them to recharge, refocus and regain their momentum (alla Sterling).

Sometimes a players apparent attitude can be as a result of them being TOO HARD on themselves, and I think Rose is that kind of individual. You can (usually) tell his commitment to the cause by the way he throws himself into challenges, but sometimes as a young player when things aren't going so well, there can be a tendency to WANT to hide (although I am NOT suggesting, necessarily, Rose does that) and not be quite as involved in a game as you could be.

The kid has potential, of that I am SURE. How much? Well I suppose only time will tell, but like EVERYONE who pulls on that shirt, or ANYONE who plays an active part in the success or failure of my club, I am inclined to believe in them.

After all, as a supporter, shouldn't that be my MAIN focus?

VASpur likes this.
  20. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Were a team trying to get in the top 4 and challenge realistically in europe, we will never achieve these playing no hopers like rose and naughton regular in our starting line ups neither are good enough why should we put our position and the ability to keep our better players in jeopardy keep plodding along with these clowns. We are not short of a penny why havent we invested in 5 years in a better standard of players ffs we only ever buy from selling our best replacing with not as good quality to add to these limited jokers.

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button