Transfer latest, Norwich preview and expected line-up

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, February 1, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

After successfully negotiating our way past Colchester in the FA cup on Saturday, Spurs return to Premier league action this week with the visit to Carrow Road.
    Norwich have been shipping goals for fun recently, whilst Spurs have netted 14 times in their last 4 games. Whilst we have certainly found our shooting boots of late, I still believe a striker needs to be found by 11PM tonight. Son can do a good job for us and he has started to show that, but there is little doubt that we need a quality striker.

The Berahino saga looks set to end in tears again and I can't see Spurs paying over £21 million for him.
    Alex Pritchard joins West Brom on loan.
    Fazio to Sevilla on loan.
    Werder Bremen sign Vejlkovic
    The Dembele deal seems dead in the water so we will have to see what Jim White and his banana skin clad co hosts can do for us throughout today.

Team News
    Ryan Mason returned to full training with the squad on Monday/ Jan Vertonghen (knee) and Clinton Njie (knee) are out.

Pochettino on transfers:
    "There are a lot of rumours and I am not going to comment on them."
    "I will come in the morning for training. Then in the afternoon I will be at home and having a siesta."
    "Then I will be watching football, maybe some game from Spain and go to bed early because we have a big game against Norwich."
    "Daniel Levy will be at the training ground until 11 or 12 with three or four phones!"

Earlier he said:
    “We are always trying to improve. We have Lloris, Dembele, Jan Vertonghen, Danny Rose, Walker, 25, 24, Chadli, Vorm, I think we have a very good balance of player.
    “We started to build the team a year ago. Now it has started to play the way we have wanted it to.
    “The most important thing is balance and with the experience players to create the winning mentality so that we have a squad hungry for winning titles.”

Wimmer said:
    “In training sessions, Vertonghen’s a big defender, I learn a lot from him and maybe in a few years I can be as strong as him.
    “Am I ready to play in the Premier League? I think so. I’ve already played a few games in the Europa League and in the FA Cup against Leicester. I’ve seen that with good performances from me it’s also possible to play in the Premier League.

A win tomorrow will further cement our top 4 position and also keep those title ambitions bubbling away nicely. Pochettino certainly seems quietly confident that we are in the race without going over the top about it.
    With Norwich fighting for survival, so Spurs will have to work hard to break through. Dembele is set to return to the starting 11, as is Son.
    I can't see anything other than a Spurs win.

Predicted line up
    Lloris, Trippier, Alderweireld, Wimmer, Rose, Eriksen, Alli, Dier, Lamela, Son, Kane.

Come on you Spurs!

Nomadico and Jonesy like this.
  2. Stu Guest

Blimey 4-0, don't think it's gonna be easy, I'd take a 1-0 to b honest!

3. Ncfccanary Guest

Norwich fan: we won't be parking the bus at home thats for sure. But do think you boys will edge it.

4. Big fran Guest

Sneak a win I reckon. Tough game away this for me.

Nomadico and Jonesy like this.
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

I think it is a tricky fixture tomorrow. However, it is a match we must win if we want to challenge "properly" in the PL this season.

As for transfer activity, it appears a slightly odd and all too frequent situation. I think it is clear Levy is biding his time. It wouldn't surprise me if the priority is to revive the Dembele deal with a bit more cash and bring him to the Lane from the off; there really is no point/value in loaning him back to Fulham. We need options/cover for the remainder of the season, simple as.

Should the deal remain dead, then I think we will return for Berahino and end up paying top dollar. Interesting we are entertaining a loan deal with the baggies for Pritchard isn't it.... Berahino has reported for training this morning. Watch this space.

Daniel: FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBT, WE NEED A STRIKER NO LATER THAN 11.00PM TONIGHT...

Last edited: February 1, 2016
    Nomadico and Deggsy56 like this.
  6. Nomadico Well-Known Member

All games in the PL are hard, but this one has the smell of danger,they are fighting for the points to avoid the drop so we will have to be on our toes.COYS

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

5 hours Danny Boy, 5 hours!!!

Get a move on.

8. guesty Guest

fecking Sky Sports News must have had a party earlier today.
    Guardiola saved their transfer deadline day boredom

I don't expect any business in. we have a good squad that is all 'together'

COYS

Nomadico likes this.
  9. Lee2 Guest

Hoping for the moussa deal to be revived. I can see why Fulham don't want to sell their only hope of avoiding relegation.

C'mon Levi pull something out the bag! Offer them oduwa on loan, send a bunch of flowers or something.

10. Mattj78

I think it's pretty clear that there will be no new signings. We are in a good place and as much as we need a new striker, I think we have to accept its not happening in this window.

Nomadico likes this.
  11. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

It's 20:30 on Deadline Day, Eastenders is done and so are we......
    Can any real fan, that watches us week in, week out believe that with 2 1/2 hours to go we have not moved for a striker. If we don't, then DL is the only person on this entire planet that thinks it is not IMPERATIVE that we add a front man.
    We totally f****d up in the past, but this year it is SO different. Speculate to accumulate makes sense to everybody but our Chairman.....ffs.
    COYS

Nomadico likes this.
  12. Mattj78

I believe, with or without a new striker, Spurs will finish on the top 4.
    However, this is a season where the title is a possibility. It really is. Silverware is a real possibility.
    Top 4 is a must.
    Not winning the title would not be failure.
    Not winning a trophy would be concerning but not ultimate failure.
    Failing to finish in the top 4 would be abject failure this season.
    If not signing a striker costs us, then the blame can only lie at one door and it isn't Poch.
    If Kane gets injured then Son will have his work cut out.
    This could be the most telling transfer window of Levys reign. Do we want success that is waiting this season or not?
    Come May, we will find out.

Nomadico likes this.
  13. Big fran Guest

Fantastic window for Levy £12+ million in the bank ching ching

Nomadico and Felon82 like this.
  14. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Well its not a disaster like previous windows its just a gamble.
    Other windows weve desperately needed particular players in particular positions.
    We're now reliant on Kane staying fit and sharp.
    With Jan out n the Faz gone an injury to Toby could be bad aswell.
    But these are ifs rather than needs and its now down to Poch to make something of the rest of the season.

Ideally we should've bought a striker just to ensure we've covered all bases re injury/form/options.

Having said that, failure to make top 4 minimum now would be a real kick in the b0ll0cks this season.

Just need to hope theres no burn out from here on in.

Nomadico likes this.
  15. Big fran Guest

Five points off the summit and going well in both cups. Just felt the injection of a new player to inject a few more goals pace buzz momentum and vigour not to mention competition for the front four would have been nice. Just feels like a missed opportunity for me!

Felon82 and Nomadico like this.
  16. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Fran your talking from a Success starved fans point of view, of course we should've shown some intent. A new quality striker was every sane supporters wish.

Our problem is being the Spread sheet off field success Champions is all that matters to the owners.

Bazza47, Jonesy and Mattj78 like this.
  17. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Well, no surprise then - disappointing.

But it certainly isn't worth buying for the sake of it and being left with an average player we didn't really want; been there, done that! In any case, this is a calculated risk which must pay off now.

One can only assume that Fulham would not let Dembele come across until next season and that Peace would simply not sell.

We move on and must ensure an injury free win at Carrow Road tonight. COYS

18. Bazza47

Those weasily words early Jan told it all. The Moussa2 false dawn came and went. It may have been predictable, but it makes little or no sense.

For the life of me I can't believe the DL Risk Assessment forms added up to an answer that says "no striker" would be a risk worth taking. The Silent One strikes again......

COYS

Felon82 and Jonesy like this.
  19. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

I will never understand why we have chose not to acquire another striker - it is suicidal.

We have got away with it so far and perhaps this is how Danny boy rationalises his decision???

In an ideal world, we would/should have bought in the summer. Anyhow, what do I know...

Bazza47 likes this.
  20. Bazza47

Indeed, what do we know and what do we know about what he knows, thinks, anything. Does he speak.....I've never heard him. I must try to get a set of the accounts, to see what the cash balance looks like, always assuming they file separate accounts.....

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button