Tottenham's best lineup

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by dnoll5, September 5, 2016.

Share This Page

1. dnoll5

dnoll5 Member

With the transfer deadline day in the rear view mirror and league games against Stoke and Sunderland sandwiching our Champions League season debut against AS Monaco, you’ve got to think that Mauricio Pochettino has to make some changes week in and week out. Add in an away trip to Moscow after that, and we should see some major changes each week. So, what is Tottenham’s best lineup and when should they employ it?

First off, the defence is rather set. Barring injuries or suspensions, the back line is as stable as any part of the Tottenham lineup. Ben Davies, Kieran Trippier, and especially Kevin Wimmer provide adequate stop gaps for the typical back four. They proved it last season.

But the midfield is where the most additions and subtractions were made in the summer, so it stands to reason that we’ll see a variety of different combinations out there as the fixture list gets heavy.

The “Original”

This is the midfield of Eric Dier, Mousa Dembélé, Erik Lamela, Dele Alli, and Christian Eriksen. This is the lineup that Spurs rode up the table last spring, and the ideal five to play the style that Poch wants to implement. I suspect that we’ll see this midfield with Kane up top in the Champions League opener at Wembley on 14 September. If Poch feels Dembélé has been training well and can slide right into the starting XI, this will be the team that gets us three points to start off the campaign.

The “Pace”

Son Heung-Min was spared in the transfer antics and he should feature quite a bit this term. In his debut season, he sparkled at times and was also stricken with the injury bug, but his potential is massive. He can play right under Kane or Janssen and his pace allows him to feature on the top of the formation as well. Given the qualities that Sonny provides, he could and should feature weekly for Spurs.

Lamela or Alli would also be added into a lineup that is going for pace, but the wildcard is newly acquired Georges-Kévin N’Koudou. The pacy winger from Marseille brings a bag a tricks and a reputation for being a dazzling dribbler, so the Frenchman could see time on the pitch for Spurs if we decide to outrun the competition. He might be a little too raw for a significant amount of time yet, but how scary would Lamela, Son, and N’Koudou look if any two of Dier/Dembélé/Wanyama/Mousa Sissoko were anchoring the midfield. With Kane or Janssen, Spurs would have the pace to beat defenders in any league.

The “Power”

There might be a time when Spurs need to crush an opponent into oblivion; a time when they need to let the opposition know that they shall not pass. Imagine a midfield of Dier, Wanyama, Sissoko, and Dembélé where Eriksen can run free in the middle and with Harry Kane up top. You’ve got the brick wall in back, plus with Dembélé and Chris, you’ve got dynamite passing. It would be an interesting lineup if for nothing more than holding a two goal lead.

The “Wildcard”

Let’s get weird. What if Spurs just wanted to show off? Go forward and be creative with little regard for defending? Dele Alli has shown that he is a willing creative force on the field (see England in Euro 2016 when he was literally the only one), Lamela is known for his creative prowess (Rabona, anyone?), and Eriksen can be magical if given time and space. Add in the multi-talented Sonny to the mix and drop Harry Kane into an advanced midfield role, and you have what might be the most creative team that Tottenham can field. Vincent Janssen should be licking his lips if these four are slotted behind him on the lineup card.

Any or all of these lineups could be seen throughout the year. To me, it’s great to see potential lineups without the obvious “least talented player on the pitch” that we saw with Ryan Mason and Nabil Bentaleb. No offense to those guys and their skill sets, but Spurs have moved on to bigger and better things in the midfield. This group is set to be multi-faceted at any moment. Even though my “best lineup” for Tottenham is still the one listed at the top of this article, we’ll have many games in many competitions to account for and with this squad, we look ready. It’s a great luxury.
    COYS.

Nomadico likes this.
  2. Nomadico Well-Known Member

All great teams have many formations,and for the first time in many years Spurs have a squad that if used correctly can go a long way.I am sure there are many fans who have there own take on what team is best,the formations you have made Dnoll5 are strong IMO the only weak link would be Vert,he has not been his self so far may be change with Tripper/Wimmer,we all wait and see what Poch decides for Stoke,it will be interesting.....COYS

3. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

The best thing about having such a good squad with lots of depth is that now, Poch can just adjust according to the competition or they way he feels gives us the best options. Example, if we face Madrid or Barca; I can see Dier and Wanyama playing together on the pitch....we'd need that front line defense to protect our back four. I'm just excited to watch Poch go to work! COYS

Nomadico and Deggsy56 like this.
  4. Big Fran Guest

For me the back six pick themselves. Hugo walker jv Toby rose dier dembele...
    In front of that it gets interesting. For 30m outlay I'd like sissoko to start wide right which would mean lamela goes wide left. From there I would like to see alli and eriksen bring the best out each other for the no 10 and also jannsen forcing Kane into the no 10. That would give us more pace out wide and natural width rather than the inverted nonsense we've seen so far.

Nomadico and Felon82 like this.
  5. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Thoughts....

The really good news, aired and shared by many above, is that we have quality options for the first time for a long time.

No Chadlie, Mason, Bentaleb..more like Nkoudou, Sissoko, Janssen, Son.

In general Dier and Dembele are favoured in the holding role, away from home certainly, but I wonder whether this weekend, given Moussa's final 6/6, that we might consider this:

Hugo if he's fit, normal back four, although Wimmer would be my number one at left sided centre back, holding Deli and Wanyama, Sissoko right, Lamela left, Eriksen as the 10, Janssen up front on his own. Nkoudou and Son on the bench to add more width.

Why no Dier and Kane?

Firstly to give them a break, for at least part of the game, and because they still look leggy to me. Harry's touch is poor and Dier is weighed down by too much hair. He looks far more the part with a number 4. Joking apart, we have to rest players on a regular basis this term. The three CL games need a top start team, so against the likes of Stoke we should take the chance to rest players and for me these two need resting.

Just some thoughts..

COYS

Nomadico likes this.
  6. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Lamela is back late so will not play, apart from that it is a good team Bazz, and Stoke should not give us any problems we can not handle, may be try Nkoudou in place of Lamela, with the Manchester clubs playing against each other we have a chance to gain points on them both if they draw. COYS..

7. guesty Guest

Lloris
    Trippier Aldi Wimmer Davies
    Wanyama Dembele
    Sissoko Alli Eriksen
    Janssen

Rest – Vertonghen, Walker, Dier, Kane & Lamela for the CL game

8. burnt Guest

For me , play the strongest team for next few games and try and get up to speed ... It's early in the season and I wouldn't be too worried about rotation just yet ... We,ve been ordinary to quit poor so far , let's try and move it up a gear or two over next few weeks ... Play strongest side , try and get a few wins , get the confidence up and settle down into the season proper ... Saying that a lot of ours aren't really firing yet so I'm not sure what the strongest line up is at the moment but that's the way i would be thinking anyway .. C.O.Y.S ...

Nomadico likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button