Tottenham fail with double transfer, lose interest in Argentine and receive snub from Belgium

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by George S, July 8, 2014.

Share This Page

1. George S

George S New Member

A week ago Tottenham Hotspur seemed on the verge of making their first signing of the 2014/15 season with several players linked and reports suggesting Mauricio Pochettino was close to sealing his first new player.

Swansea’s Ben Davies was seemingly vying with Argentina veteran Esteban Cambiasso to become the first Spurs signing this summer, however neither deal appears likely now.

The Daily Star exclusively reveal that the club have pulled the plug on a transfer to take Cambiasso to White Hart Lane.

Former Inter man deemed too old

Various reports insisted Pochettino wanted to sign the 33-year-old on a free transfer but the Star now believe that Tottenham deem the midfielder too old.

Cambiasso turns 34 next month and they will not be making a move for the former Inter Milan ace now.

Meanwhile the Daily Telegraph report that we have failed in bid to bring Davies to north London, for the time being anyway.

Swap deal fails…

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is alleged to have failed with a cheeky straight swap bid involving Gylfi Sigurdsson for the services of Davies and goalkeeper Michel Vorm.

And although Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins is reluctant to lose some of his best assets, he would sell Davies and Vorm if the right price comes in which suggests a deal for Davies, at least, could still be on the cards.

Tottenham’s move for Vorm is worrying, however, as that would apply that Hugo Lloris’ future isn’t certain, despite the French keeper recently insisting he would start the season at White Hart Lane.

Lukaku looking for a move!

Finally, it appears Pochettino’s hopes to bring Romelu Lukaku to the club are falling on deaf ears as the Belgium forward is looking to play Champions League football.

The Chelsea ace has spent the last two seasons on loan away from Stamford Bridge and it now seems the 21-year-old has had enough and wants a permanent move elsewhere.

Lukaku told the Daily Express:

"What I don't want is to be loaned out. I am 21 and I have been loaned for the last two seasons. Thibaut Courtois was loaned for three seasons and will be without doubt the first-choice Chelsea goalkeeper.

"And Kevin De Bruyne has been transferred permanently to Wolfsburg. They are free in their heads - it is not my case. That would free me totally."

Various clubs have registered an interest in Lukaku but the Express believe Tottenham are the only team to put a bid on the table.

But Belgian eyeing Champions League club…

Spurs have offered £20 million to Chelsea for the services of the Belgian, however further comments from the 21-year-old suggest a move to White Hart Lane won’t materalise.

Lukaku added: "I don't know - there are several clubs that are interested. I need to make a good decision to reach the absolute top so that I can score a goal like Higuain against us.

“I want to show what I can do and play in the Champions League with a big club.

"The decision will soon be taken. I have some ideas but we will have to see what is best for the clubs. I don't want to negotiate before the clubs have come to an agreement."

So it seems like Pochettino and co need to go back to the drawing board as several transfer targets that seemed set or likely to move to the club have gone cold.

We still await Tottenham’s first signing of the new season…

2. Danspurs Guest

Here we go again why listen to who the manager wants to bring in to fit his system and style of play, Levy knows best he will bring in who he wants regardless of Mauriccio's preference. January comes new manager again. Wonder who will be next. If levey continues to not listen to his manager why doesnt he take over the management and coaching as well.

Felon82 and Mattj78 like this.
  3. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

“I want to show what I can do and play in the Champions League with a big club".

That quote (from Lukaku) is what we will have to accept from most of our targets - which is why we won't get the like s of Lovren at Spurs. Second best will have to do. We can't offer CL and are not seen as a 'big club'. The result of being a 'selling' club. ie Bale, Modric, Berbatov. Until Levy convinces players we have big ambitions and are going places pays the big money and inflated wages, we will remain a top six club and will not attract the best players. We will probly end up with Remy - who really wants Arse but will come if they don't bid and that we NEED a striker albeit no better than Adebayor. That's the way it is at spurs. Dont expect 'big names' at Tottenham! It Ain't gonna happen!!

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. Rob Mchobnob Guest

Spurs fans shouldn't get to wound up by these journo stories. We have been linked with almost every available player in this close season. Fact is, there isn't that many players needed to push on from last season.

Lukaku, although still a bright prospect, hasn't made it at Chelsea and wasn't an automatic starter at either of his loan clubs. A £20m deal for Lukaku is a massive compliment for the boy, who, after all, is still only a prospect. He is not the full article at all, as shown in his performance at the World Cup.

Better to spend money on cover for Walker me thinks.

Ramos43 likes this.
  5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

I dont know what people are complaining about we won a league cup in 2008, we are financially sound, and if you take all the big ambitious clubs out the league we'd win it every season i mean what else do people want? Weve gone from 4th place finishes to 6th from 1 point outside of the top 4 to 10 points but its all part of the bigger plan. Patience theres still loads of time until 31st august to panic buy Levy always backs his managers once hes sold their best players.

6. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I think Pochettino will try and get the best out of what he has got. Levy stated that there would be no massive overhaul of the squad this summer. The press seem to link Spurs with every player, every Summer. I think if you believe any big name players will join Spurs this summer, you are going to be very disappointed.

7. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Couldn't agree more with, Rob.

People may start panicking as a result of what Liverpool and Man Utd (mainly) are doing, but what SHOULD be remembered is, Spurs done a lot business last summer, which perhaps didn't appear, particularly, fruitful due to a number of mitigating circumstances - not least of all bad management.

I expect Spurs to spend, and to spend big (should/when the right targets present themselves).

I imagine, ONCE MP has had a chance to FULLY assess his squad, that Spurs will sell at LEAST 3/4 players ( on top of the Livermore transfer, and expected sale of Dawson) and replace them with a similar number of new signings.

Sometimes you need to read between the lines in this game, and given the fact that Levy has given Pochettino a 5 year deal, in what could EASILY be described as his MOST important managerial appointment ever, The Chairman will be just as eager to see this managerial tenure be a success, just, as much as all of us! Therefore he WILL back M. Pochettino with finances, in the same way he backs all of the managers he appoints!

Personally, I suspect players such as Falque, Assou Ekotto, Naughton, Sigurdsson, Hotlby, Paulinho, and, even, Adebayor, will all be made available (for different reasons) should good/reasonable offers come in, leaving MP to promote the likes of Bentaleb, Carroll, (perhaps) Kane, Fredericks and (hopefully) Pritchard to the first team squad, as well as use the the money recouped to add to the kitty he was already likely to have been given.

So for arguments sake, lets say Levy has guaranteed Pochettino a budget of £30m to spend, and grants him any money the club manages to get from sales of players.

If I am right about the players likely to exit the club this summer, Spurs could EASILY have upwards of £60m/£70m to spend on 3/4 new signings!

Think about it, does anybody REALLY think that a talented, intelligent and fiercely ambitious young manager, whose stock is CLEARLY on the rise, like Mauricio Pochettino, would leave a club who CLEARLY have/had ambitions of their own, to join a club who was going to ask him to work with a group of youngsters, and a bunch of players who aren't his own - all whilst assuring Spurs finish at LEAST in the top 4? ...REALLY???

Listen, sometimes people who run/manage clubs/teams say things to take the spotlight/attention/ pressure off whatever it is they are trying to achieve.

For example, Mourinho said last season that Chelsea WEREN'T in the title race, despite them being in a position to challenge up until the last month of the campaign.

Brendan Rodgers referred to Liverpool as 'a little horse' (or something to that affect) for as long as he could, until it became apparent that Liverpool were anything but in the context of last seasons title race.

So why should Daniel Levy saying their won't be a summer of major upheaval/changes be any different? I suppose it all comes down to what you would perceive major upheaval/changes to be, right?

But one thing is for sure, I would be AMAZED if Spurs didn't sell, and buy, at LEAST 3/4 players, respectively!

ps. 'Big signings' DON'T necessarily make a good team, but CLEVER transfers, as well as good/astute management do!;)

Last edited: July 8, 2014
    tommitoomuch likes this.
  8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Signings like davies, vorm and cambiasso are not gona get us top 4 anyway, all of the top 4 have a number of top players that are consistantly good at what they do individually and collectively. We sell all our top players, the only 2 we have currently are Lloris and Eriksen that is nowhere near enough to challenge on any front and a pathetic net spend of 700k over 5 years is not good enough or realistic enough to progress. To say that top 4 is the target you need to buy epl top 4 standard players else your selling a lie which is what Levy does every season.

9. tommitoomuch

tommitoomuch New Member

Firstly! Hello, just joined this site.

I don't feel it's a failed signing with Cambiasso. He is too old now for spurs and there are far more exciting players at spurs at the moment with regards to the youth.
    Carroll has just come back after a season with 'arry at QPR and I would love to see the pint sized playmaker given a shout. But then again , it is right to risk a relatively inexperienced player in the PL in the starting lineup. But, (once again) then again, if we don't give these players the opportunity then they are never going to gain the experience to push on and excel and to even break into their national side.

So... We loan them out... And then you get the quotes from Lukaku, "been loaned for the past two years" "I want to feel free."

So really we are in a bit of a lose/lose situation.
    So I think we need to risk sometimes, give the kid a go, and not just for a Europa league game against some Ukrainian C division side. Put them in against the Arsenal's, the Chelsea's. The high pressure games. Give them that edge, and the feeling.

Agreed we do have some dead wood at spurs that needs to be shifted and put in the compost heap. Benoir Assou-Ekotto, Sigurdsson, Dawson, Adebayor, Kaboul.

It's all wells and good talking about the strikers needed. But our defence scares the living day lights out of me! The only one I would keep is Walker, but then he needs to learn what defending is, Kaboul, heart attack in the making, vlad chiriches... Too slow for PL. Dawson, I loved but too many mistakes are coming into his game. It proves again what a bloody huge mistake it was to get rid of Caulker!!

I could go on and on here, but then I would have nothing else to add to other topics! Thanks for listening and nice to meet you all!

notnats likes this.
  10. Mattj78

Having just watched the World Cup final......sell Paulinho!!!! Good grief he was poor.

11. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Lol...Funnily enough, Matt, I thought he had one of his better games!

See, by the time he came on (at 5-0 down) Germany had stopped playing their pressing game, and given TIME and SPACE Paulinho can look decent. It's when he is denied these things that he REALLY struggles.

The MOST frustrating thing I find with the Brazilian though is his apparent lack of urgency, work-rate or desire to do anything but score....and lets be honest he isn't very good at that!

I DO think there is a player in there somewhere, but I'm with you Matt if someone comes up with a 'get your cash back' offer tomorrow would be inclined to take it!

I thought Paulinho would offer Spurs a good engine, the odd goal and a competitive edge in midfield. And while he HAS done those things on occasion, he seems to be a player who likes to pick and choose when he is going to show up, often appearing as dead weight.

His (largely) POOR displays were a BIG part of why AVB got the sack. Well, that and the Portuguese refusal to drop/manage him.

Paulinho DESTROYED Dembele last season with his naive, lazy and cavalier approach in midfield which ultimately left Mousa wary of doing anything but sit deep, as he did NOT trust Paulinho to offer ANY kind of resistance to the oppositions attacks.

Not only that, but the amount of times I watched Paulinho leave the central midfield area early to move into the no10 position (and ultimately clog up the space the ACTUAL no10 and striker had to work in) WITHOUT so much much as a backwards glance behind him to see who was there (be it Dembele OR the opposition) beggared belief!!!

And this was after 2 MONTHS of the campaign when the guy was supposed to be doing his utmost to impress. Instead, he became a liability.

I remember flagging up all of these things on this and other websites and getting pelters left, right and centre by folk who had simply been seduced by the prospect of having a Brazilian International in the side, but the truth was Paulinho was doing little to warrant the title.

Now he has taken the SAME form into the World Cup, making his flaws/deficiencies clear for all to see.

I DO believe there is a TOP-CLASS box-to-box midfielder in there somewhere, but it is going to take a LOT of work on the training ground, CLEAR defining of his role in the team and getting him to play to his strengths in order to see it!

Unless Pochettino does these things, I CANNOT see for the life of me how Paulinho can possible fit into the Argentines high-tempo, intense pressing style!

Fabien Delph on the other hand would be ideal as a STRAIGHT, like for like replacement for the Brazilian, if that is the road Spurs want to go down.

Otherwise a TOP-CLASS deep-lying playmaker would be just what the doctor order for a Spurs midfielder that at times lacks craft, vision and versatility.

One of Paulinhos better games:

Perfect replacement (who Hodgsen was a fool to ignore for the WC):

Ideal, and realistic, alternative to both men (as well as Banega, who would be my first choice)

12. Felon82 Well-Known Member

If we arent doing much in this window then Poch is gona have to work a miracle to get anything out of this squad, there are a number of players who dont deserve to wear the shirt on atitude and skill level alone. We completely lacked all the crucial factors last season our defence was embarrassingly poor, our 2 'world class' strikers only 1 hit double figures, our midfield has absolutely no movement or vision, and collectively unforgivably they lacked any fight.
    Crucially if we are to move forward players like paulinho, chadli, lennon, soldado, rose, naughton, adebyor, daws, kaboul all need to go, bar adebyor they all produce nothing or are liabilities. Expensive passengers need to go and there are more but i believe the others at least show they may be better if managed properly.

Deggsy56 likes this.
  13. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Gotta feel for Pauli, although in fairness he wasnt that bad himself, well no worse than his usual standard. I still cant figure out where he belongs, theres no way he's a box2box player his engine runs on idle, a traditional box2box player is someone that covers every blade of grass in a game, Pauli wouldnt do that all season. To me he seems to be a player that wants to be a no10 but he's just not good enough for that role, altho his only saving grace is that he can poach the odd goal.

Although Lukaku may not be the finished article yet he's already shown immence talent and potential in the EPL with two different clubs in as many seasons. He's strong, reliable, makes good runs and scores plenty of goals and would score plenty of goals for spurs. If the club could talk him round and offer him the peace he so craves then snap him up I say. We need a striker who can net somewhere near 20 per season but top strikers aint cheap and for around 20m this 21 year old is a no brainer. Wouldnt say no to Bony either and would happily take both and move on Ade and Soldado. Its nice to dream.

Deggsy56 and Felon82 like this.
  14. Mattj78

I think Lukaku is determined to get a move to a champions league club and I don't think Spurs can realistically promise him the season after the one upcoming I am afraid. I think Pochettino will do well given time, I really don't see that we will finish any higher than sixth.

Deggsy56 likes this.
  15. notnats

Agree, MP needs time and as much as we crave instant results and success we should accept that we are still a team in transition. Two managers in the last year, almost every player new to the first team. Poch has got a huge job in front of him for this season. If im being realistic 6th is about our level, anything above would be a huge credit to the manager.

Last edited: July 10, 2014
    Mattj78 likes this.
  16. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Levy comes up trumps again! The single most important man at the club, his VISION, PASSION and AMBITION to see this GREAT club of ours restored to it's rightful place in the eyes of world football will ensure that Tottenham Hotspur are in safe and trustworthy hands for (hopefully) years to come!

If I had my way, the man would NEVER leave....no matter what Russian, Arab or American comes calling!

VERY excited about the season/future ahead!!!.... So is Hugo Lloris by the sounds of it!

COYS!!!!!!!!!

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/new-deal-for-hugo-100714/

17. notnats

Brilliant news! this is our best player and his faith and confidence in the club and the manager will go a long way in attracting new talent to the club. Could Hugo be our next captain ?

18. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

There is no question that Hugo staying, and Mauricio joining, will help attract players to the club, BUT it is the man who attracted them both (and all of the rest) to Tottenham Hotspur FC, that will CONTINUE to sell Spurs as a big draw to top-class, emerging talent and highly coveted players around the world!

Quality players, and big sponsors, will buy into Spurs' VISION and AMBITION, without the lure of CL. That much has been PROVEN in the past. And a MASSIVE part of that, like it or not, is because they buy into Levy's vision and ambition for the club.

Everyone knows how highly I think of the job The Chairman has done for this club, and I have NO DOUBT he will continue to do what he has always done....Help the club develop and grow!

Hugo for captain? Well that's assuming Dawson ever leaves. Because way things are going Michael seems intent on outlasting us ALL!!!

Seriously though, I'd prefer an outfield player to wear the armband. Someone who:
    • can actively galvanise the crowd and those around him by what he does on the field of play over the course of a match.
    • is, relatively, vocal. I DON'T necessarily mean a screamer or a shouter but someone who can encourage, push and pull his colleagues in to the areas of the pitch where they should be.
    • adds REAL value to the first team, and is likely to play every game.
    • who commands respect from his peers in the dressing room.
    • who is outwardly proud, and passionate, about playing for the club
    Taking ALL of those things into consideration, and the fact that squad WILL change before the start of the season (which COULD alter my way of thinking) Sandro or Kaboul would be my two outstanding candidates with maybe Lloris named vice or 3rd in command.

Unfortunately for Jan I think he let himself down badly last season with his attitude and displays, and in all honesty I am yet to see the leadership qualities he was renowned for at Ajax.

I actually think Kyle Walker could be a FUTURE Spurs captain, and a decent outside bet for the role of vice captain this time round. But the simple truth is, regardless, of whoever wears the armband for the forthcoming season, ALL of Tottenham's experienced, 'big' players SHOULD be acting as a voice, example and galvanising presence in that dressing room.

That includes everyone from Ade to Friedel, Soldado to Lennon, Chiriches to Holtby, etc, etc, etc...

Great news...all that's needed now is Sandro and Vertonghen (and Rose should he be prepared to FIGHT for his place in the team) to follow suit!

No doubt Lloris signing, Mauricio joining, and (most importantly) Daniel Levy, will help seal those potential deals, too!

19. big fran Guest

Call me hyper critical but modric and bale both signed new deals only a year or so before leaving and it is a common trait nowadays to bump the price tag up a few million at many a club. I see Evra signed a deal at utd last week and is now on the verge of signing for juve!!! On the positive side I agree with a few of the above that MP should be trying to get the best out of the young talent we have in lamela walker Townsend eriksen and build the team around this core of players I see staying for the forseeable future so walker would also be my captain moving forward. I don't see many big signings due to lack of CL football and unable to pay big wages. We are unlikely to see CL for a minimum of 3 yrs until the squad has been rebuilt,confidence restored and the above young talent
    move on a notch or two. We simply cannot compete consistently with the mega rich clubs funded by corrupt sugar daddy's until the new stadium appears-which it will... Top six will be a realistic target this season for me!

20. Mattj78

Good news but don't be fooled about the five year thing. If we don't get Champions league after the coming season, which I think is highly unlikely, Hugo will be off the following summer. Tottenham have always attracted big name players so the idea that has only happened under Levy just isn't true. He does sell the ambition of the club but when we don't achieve it, the players leave. Modric, Bale etc. Hopefully this time, things will go well. I am optimistic that MP will do a really good job but only given at least three or four years to do so. Top six next season, then hopefully top four after that. Time will tell but as much as Hugo signing is great news, I really wouldn't get carried away that it is a commitment to the club long term. Contracts mean nothing. He will do one more season of course, but if we ain't in champions league season after, he will be gone. That is simply a fact of Levy's running of the club. We are an introduction to Premier League football for some brilliant players who are told of our huge ambitions. We then fail to achieve them and off they pop.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button