Tottenham End of Season Awards (14 nominations!!)

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, May 11, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I have to say that when I was asked about writing an awards piece for Tottenham Hotspur, my first reaction was not exactly ‘cheers, thanks, I would love to.’

My first reaction was what on earth can I give awards for, but then I took a deep breath and though that there have been some pluses, and do you know what, let’s have a bit if fun as it is the end of a long season, filled with promise, ending with not a great deal.

I hope you enjoy this and find time to see it is a bit of fun as well.

Player of the year

Even the chairman has made it clear that the players have not exactly done the club proud this year and to find one player who deserves this award is tough.

Adebayor was frozen out under AVB and I thought he was done at Spurs, but Sherwood brought him back and in the majority of games he has delivered. He has dropped off again in recent games so my award does not go to him.

My Matt Award goes to......Christian Eriksen. It did take him time to settle, but he has worked hard, shown some real, moments of class and his goal against West Brom was a joy to see. A real talent and sure to become a Spurs legend. Well played my son!!

Most improved player

Oh my. What a category this is! I have looked and looked at this and do you know what, I have struggled to justify a player for this award. O I have looked at our loan players and my Matt award goes to... Jake Livermore.

At Spurs, I have seen flashes from him but under AVB, he looked lost and static. I have watched Hull on a few occasions this season and he has been working from box to box, chipped in with the odd goal, got stuck in and could even finish the season with an FA cup winner’s medal.

I hope he can bring his form back to Spurs next season and if he stops the Woolwich Wanderers winning a trophy, job done agent Jake. Well done lad!!

Youngster of the year

Ooh. Now then, help me out folks! He may not have played all season and may not be the most glamorous of footballers, but for his sheer endeavour, the odd goal and for showing more passion that some of the multi million pound mob, my award goes to Harry Kane.

There could be a hurriKane if he is still at the lane next year. Good efforts young man.

Unsung Hero

This player has got us points, saved us points and been a real plus this year and not got as many man of the match awards as he perhaps deserved. My Matt award goes to....Hugo Lloris. Let’s hope that he is still in between the sticks next season. Nice keeping Hugo!!

Goal of the season

It was away at West Brom and secured is a point. He took the ball beautifully, gave himself time and finished with style. My goal of the season and second Matt award of the season for the same player is Christian Eriksen. Class goal fella!!

Game of the year

Not too many that stick in the memory but I am going for the game that I felt showed us playing at our best with good wide play, good passing and some pace and attacking prowess. The game that I give my award to is... Newcastle Away. Just a shame it appeared to be a bit of a one off.

The home game against Sunderland was also a plus.

Best Moment

I have to go with what made me laugh folks! Whatever we may think about Tim Sherwood, I just loved Adebayor’s second when we hammered Sunderland and Ade saluted the Spurs bench. Seeing Tim, Ramsey and Sir Les all saluting back was simply class. So for that moment alone, Gentlemen, I salute you all!!

Flop of the season

What do you mean I can only choose one? You hard taskmaster you!!

Blimey, there have been so many poor performances from players this year, which has truly been a flop.

Lamela crossed my mind, but to be honest, he has been injured so often, I decided it would be unfair to give him the award. I have looked at all of the new players and the other player that has come close is Paulinho, but I don’t think either manager has really played him in the right position constantly and when he has played in a forward roll, he has chipped in with the odd goal like today.

So, after all that my award goes someone who has found himself out of position on too many occasions, has looked sluggish and punch drunk in numerous games, has crossed the ball out for throw ins more often than found team mates and is frankly, in my opinion, one of the laziest players have seen for a long while at the Lane. Stand up if you can....Danny Rose.

Villain of the season

Dead easy this one...the award goes to Daniel Le.....No wait! Don’t shut down your PC, I am just kidding. Actually, I am giving this award to the man whom I think is not needed at the Lane, has rarely been seen at too many games recently and is responsible for a lot of the cash that went out of the door in the summer.

The Matt award for Villain of the season goes to....wait for it....Franco Baldini. The DOF role is intended to bring stability and continuity and I fail to see how he has done either.

Take your award Franco and get yoursen’ down the road a peg or two!

Harry Redknapp award for excellence

This award goes to Tim Sherwood, not for footballing reasons but for mastering the ‘Arry twitch. Well done!

Most Pointless decision of the season

This has got to go to the idea of scrapping the ‘Y’ word which saw three Spurs fans arrested and cleared as common sense finally prevailed. The idea of banning the word was never filled with any sense.

I would rather be anywhere else but here award

Other than nominating fans for this one who were at Liverpool, City, at home to Liverpool etc, I have to give this award to someone who has ability, skill, but when the going has got tough, has shown a poor attitude and simply not looked like he wanted to play for the team or the club.

I hope he stays and proves his worth, but for now, this award goes to the player whose injuries will disappear in time for the World cup no doubt. Step forward Mr....Jan Vertonghen!

Not that old cliché again?

Football is full of clichés and this season I think we have possibly heard them all, but one man has used the same phrase so many times, I started to think it was the only sentence he knew! So, for the now immortal words, ‘We have let the fans down and must bounce back’ the Matt award for ‘Not that old cliché again’ goes to Michael Dawson.

Change the record for next season please Daws!!

And finally...... Chant of the season......

I have heard may chants at games this season and as usual, the majority have been amusing and made us smile in times of woe, but I want this award to go to an amusing ditty that recognised as fantastic man, a brilliant actor and a top Tottenham Hotspur fan who simply loved the words ‘Audere Est Facere’ If you haven’t yet guessed, the song is ‘He’s only got one broom’ sung with gusto at Southampton in recognition of one of Spurs’ very own, Roger Lloyd Pack, alias Trigger from Only Fools and Horses.

And so my friends and loyal Spurs fans, that is my Matt Awards for the season 2013/14. Not too many highs, plenty of lows and as always plenty of laughs and debate along the way.

See you all soon and as ever....COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!

2. Trigspur Guest

At last a light read and very funny. Just for the record and to be padantic it was Swansea away when we sang he's only got one broom! But I'll let you off. Tottenham till I die!!

Kid-e1 likes this.
  3. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Oh aye. Slipped up on that one!! Begins with the same letter!
    Well spotted but you ain't getting one of my prestigious awards!

Kid-e1 likes this.
  4. Kev Guest

Very funny & well thought out. Totally agree about Vertonghen & Rose, shame Naughton & Fryers didn't get a mention in the plus dept !! Three wishes for next season are 1, Baldini & Vertonghen gone, 2, Lloris stays, 3, We start giving Soldado some proper service !!

Kid-e1 likes this.
  5. Trigspur Guest

Bugger!! On the line of funny chants/things said at football. I remember being at notts county in the league cup mid 90's and losing 3 nil and I shouted at dean Austin to F off back to Southend and bloke behind shouted "Southend. He can't even find right back!!!priceless!

Kid-e1 and Mattj78 like this.
  6. Kid-e1 New Member

loved the whole page, very amusing and a great ending to the season, especially liked the bit about D.Austin. Just hoping next season is eventful!

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

player of the season LLORIS fearless, heroic, please stay. Best game MANU away, I thought they were going to run us over in the second. edge of the seat stuff. brilliant.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button