Thoughts on individual performances... and thank you to our Chairman

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Bazza47, August 21, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Let me open by thanking our Chairman for what turned out to be the best seats in the house at Wembley. As a person of advancing years I and my cousin qualify for concession pricing, given the extra capacity. We’d had a good journey in (rare) and enjoyed the roof top bar at a very local hotel, then stepped out to mix with all of the fans finding their way into the ground.

It so reminded me of that balmy September evening we all did pretty much the same for that first Champions League game against Monaco. Fans in good humour, nice day, then we headed into the ground. The OAP pricing proved to be an attraction. We’d opted in the end for Club Wembley, went to our block then got ushered to our seats. Wow, thank you DL. They were and are amazing. They were a few rows back, behind a railing, and right behind the TV cameras, and for less than we’d paid at The Lane. All good up until now……then the referee blew the whistle.

Whilst the performance wasn’t too bad, the result says it all. Failed again, and at our temporary home. I’m really going to enjoy everybody looking to put one over us, from the best seats in the house!

I’ll keep the player ratings nice and simple:
    • Must do better – Hugo, Dele and Victor
    • Did okay – the back Three, the full backs….I’ll come back to that
    • Better than okay – Harry, Moussa, Christian
    • Subs – too little too late.
    Hugo looked like the Weetabix goalie from the TV ads all those years ago for the first and wtf was he doing for their winner.

Dele was pussy footing it here and there, some good, some not so, but largely absent for me.

Victor looked good to start, but as he tired his touch got even worse, then that fateful pass to give away their winner. If you watch it back, he should have tracked the full back into the penalty area instead of appealing for offside. Possibly not match fit, but this was not good enough.

Thought the back three were okay, solid as ever. Trippier needs to understand he’s a defender first and foremost, then an overlapping full back second…you can see I’m really old, you don’t hear them called that any more do you.

Thought the Mousse looked strong and I, like many, would like to see him drive forward more at times, interchanging with Wanyama in doing so. Eriksen was probing, if short of his best and I felt Kane worked his socks off, turned them well on numerous occasions and always looked dangerous, best Spurs player for me.

So I’ll have the delights of being able to watch us take on teams for the 18 remaining Cup Finals in the PL, from those awesome seats. Thanks again Mr Chairman.

COYS

P.S. And we so lacked pace…..this needs to be solved, particularly in the wide open spaces of Wembley.

2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We've been here before aye Bazza a good day ruined by the result.

To me it's the lack of experienced players driving us on to the win at all costs and the glaring lack of pace and options.

The business achieved so far has done nothing to improve/remedy this therefore same old same old.

MikeD likes this.
  3. MikeD New Member

Basically agree with pretty much everything that has been said. Playing our home games at Wembley this season will only be an issue if we let it become one. With the exception of the first 20 minutes yesterday we were the better side and a draw would have been a fairer result. As has already been discussed, some players had a poor day and unfortunately when one of them is your goalkeeper it is always likely to cost you. Wanyama didn't look match fit to me and I was surprised that he was not substituted.

I like many others still feel that the squad is a bit light and would definitely like to see at least two or three more players coming in before the deadline. The caveat I would attach to that however is, they need to be quality additions, not just a panic buy at 11pm on the final day of the window. Moussa Sissoko, need I say more.

One thing I find slightly worrying is the fact that we seem to be looking at bringing in at least two more centre backs. We've already signed Sanchez and if the reports are to be believed, Foyth is also close to signing. Are we preparing for Toby Alderweireld to jump ship? The apparent impasse with regard to a new contract has to be of concern to all of us who consider him to be the best CB we've had at the club since Ledley King.

I guess we just have to wait and see how the remaining days of the window pan out. One things for sure, it's never plain sailing following Spurs!

Nomadico, Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  4. Niven Frey New Member

Very good article.
    Getting a little tired now of Poch's "That's football" cliché and 'they were clinical, we weren't' review.How many times have we heard the same with losses to Chelsea - we had the possession....we dominated... Yes, but you lost and keep doing so. So why as a manager, who is so lauded, aren't you finding a way to win? Why as a manager are you not stringing them up for giving free kicks away on the edge of the box for the likes of Alonso and Willian to punish you for. Why have you not managed to get in to their dim heads that mistakes cost football matches despite all your possession. More or less every goal we concede to Chelsea is gifted in some form or other. What is your aversion to pace - N'Koudou, Lennon, N'Jie, Walker.... Very strange indeed!

Felon82 likes this.
  5. Oldjdub Guest

Not a bad performance, but again we failed to capitalise on all that possession and territorial advantage against a side that was missing several of their better players.
    For me we have now reached a point where most of the first team are automatic choices, as our squad is not strong enough to challenge them. This is not a healthy situation.
    We lack pace and the tactic of keeping possession at all costs, means we pass, pass and pass again often without any penetration, meaning teams can sit deep, crowd the centre of the pitch and play us on the break.
    I find it odd that we have failed to strengthen up front. I know we we did manage when Kane was injured, but we are crying out for another forward to support him.
    Poch's substitution do seem odd. Wanyama was obviously struggling with his fitness, but Dier, who did nothing wrong, was brought off, meaning a change to our formation with the introduction of Sissoko. Has anyone seen him show anything to justify a mere portion of his cost? Did Poch really think he was going to be the one to change the game? To give Janssen only 2 minutes plus injury/stoppage time was ridiculous. He obviously doesn't rate him either. Both subs smacked of desperation due to no other alternatives.
    I also cannot understand, why when the Premiership is so tight, with arguably 6 or 7 sides fighting for the top 4, Spurs can commence the season without their squad being finalised.
    Failing to bring in players earlier enough to get them acclimatised and used to the clubs style and other players, will lead to dropped early points which can be all so important at the end of the season.
    The Wembley thing will be a disadvantage, not because we cannot acclimatise, but because other clubs will raise their performance playing at the stadium. For some it will be their only ever chance to play there.
    All in all, whilst it is obviously very early in the season, there is both optimism and pessimism for me and a lot will depend on the next week or so what we do in the transfer market

Bazza47, bruski and Felon82 like this.
  6. Muhoo Guest

As mentioned above the fact that where loooking for defenders is a bit of concern are they hoping to build a wall and just rely on erikson/Kane to create ther own chances,

Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  7. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

I normally watch the end of the game and the analysis on Sky when I get home, but a local power cut ended that ritual. I was shattered after a long day and the loss, so I saved up MOTD until today.
    Watching the mistakes by Alli giving away the Alonso free kick, Wanyama losing the ball to Luis then failing to track Alonso's run, followed by Lloris's mistake shows how fine the margins are against the top sides.....and you have to score to win and we didn't, they did.
    JJ's analysis showed how we were choked in midfield by their three holding players and with our two full backs lacking in confidence to get down the flanks, we were tactically behind Chelski all game. A worry, for sure. For me we need to be able to revert from 3-5-1-1 to 4-4-1-1 if the situation demands, with pace replacing overlapping full backs. Why not NGD on the right wing pushing Alonso back.
    We need a response next Sunday, and it will be Burnley's cup final for sure.

Nomadico likes this.
  8. bruski

bruski Active Member

Very good article my friend. I concur with everything you have written, especially our main challenge that every 'home' game will be a cup final for the opposition.

9. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Great job, Bazza47.
    I think Poch was wrong making changes to XI that beat Newcastle last Sunday. Trippier, and Wanyama looked not fit and slow in their reactions. Those should have been substituted first and earlier. However, if Hugo was not asleep and the tie was the result the conversation would have gone in different direction. 4 back was a must. Ideally, 4-4-2 is the best configuration against 3-4-3, but we do not practice it, although tried after all substitutions. Anyway, what have seen was a better team losing. That's football. But, I have to admit that loss in similar contest 5 years ago would be a norm. So I am looking at it in time context. COYS!!!

Last edited: August 24, 2017
    Nomadico and Bazza47 like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button