The Year of the Rooster/Cockerel apparently

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Felon82, January 1, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Firstly Happy New Year Spurs fans!!!

2017 is the new year after a bizarre 2016 so what lays ahead for Spurs?

Currently 5th in the league, Still in European competition and the FA cup so still plenty to play for.

It's been a very stop start season thus far but I'm hoping (I know it's the hope that kills you) that we can now fully focus on a strong 2nd half to the season.

Let's hope as a New Year's Resolution we banish Spursy related performances to the archives.

We have the early game against Watford to get the year off to a bang, with a chance to leap frog both Le Scum and City early doors. City on GD and put pressure on Arsenal before their clash with Palace.

With Utd breathing down our necks after a turn of results it would be nice for us to keep the advantage and let the others know we are to be taken seriously.

A good result away to the Saints and a decent bit of rest/recoup time we really need to be collecting the 3 points today.

It will be difficult but having read that Watford could be without up to 9 first teamers we must take advantage with the better quality of players. It's games like this that rely a lot more on attitude than finesse so we need to turn up with a no nonsense approach and win.

Without Jan, Walker (and Toby uncertain) we need good performances from the stand ins however Poch wants to do that, but more importantly we need our match winners to create and take chances today.

I'm hoping for a comfortable 0-2

On to the Cups I'd sacrifice 1 to have a good go at the other it's all down to preference which. For me I would like us to give Europa a proper go with it being a European Cup and the added bonus of guaranteed CL qualification, as I feel regardless of contract renewals it would avoid any unrest failing a top 4 finish.
    But of course I'd still take an FA cup win all day.
    Just wish we'd show a bit of ambition to either in all honesty, they're not beyond our capabilities we just need to have more conviction.

So will it be the year of the Cockerel 2017?

COYS!!!

Bazza47 and burnt like this.
  2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

We have more points, more wins than this time last season. And we are now turning on the floor more.

3. Big fran Guest

Was really really impressed for 60 mins and went proper flat which is understandable considering the fixture schedule over Xmas,job was done and Chelsea looming.
    Was disappointing to lose clean sheet but more so that Jansen wasn't given at least 40mins or so to get his 'goal'. That would have been my priority once we got the fourth I'd have gone 2 up top and battered em good style. Thought Son was extremely greedy and wasteful ..
    Nice to see the moose get a much needed rest, wimmer and trippier very positive run outs and winks was brilliant I felt. On the up COYS. Top four felon???

Bazza47, burnt, Jonesy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mick

Mick Member

Great performance against average side. The 1 negative for me was Son who played selfishly I thought Example 85th minute should have slipped Janssen in who desperately needs a goal but chose to go alone , no long term future at club in my opinion Good to see Trippier play so well

burnt likes this.
  5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Of course I hope we make it think the coming Chavs fixture will tell us more.

I must say how refreshing it was to be done n dusted by half time, I too was saying to a mate we needed to get Janssen involved earlier was perfect opportunity.

We gave away our customary goal but over all we got a win at a canter that cudv been a banana skin.

burnt and Jonesy like this.
  6. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Another important 3 points and it was nice to see a clinical performance again. Not SPURSY.

I thought Trippier was excellent today, along with Wanyama - solid (as ever), Alli defintely on his way to last seasons' level and Kane firing on all cylinders - long may it continue! Agree Son was far too greedy and incredibly wasteful, whilst I certainly would have put Janssen on a lot earlier; he needs confidence (with minutes and goals PDQ). All in all, an almost perfect performance, with Watford's consolation goal the only blemish. We move on.

Now, if we have any real title aspirations we absolutely have to beat Chelski. Top 4 is more realistic though and a draw wouldn't be the end of the world - though not desirable!

As others mention above, we will get the measure of where we really are after Wednesday's game. IMO, we are missing that one top quality player that can open up teams and change tight games with individual skill etc. One day Jonesy, one day...

COYS, we would all absolutely love a comprehensive win Wednesday!

burnt and Felon82 like this.
  7. burnt Well-Known Member

Happy new year all ..

Great way to start the new year , look they were awful but we still had a job to do and we did it properly and professionally ... Lots of plusses to take from it but as was mentioned above weds eve is the real barometer not a Watford side who weren't at the races ... There seems to be a big gap now appearing between the top 6 and the rest , none of the 6 seem to be loosing to anyone outside the the top 6 so ( stating the bleeding obvious ) , these games are going to define everyones season .... On to the next one , as always we live in hope .... C.O.Y.S ......

Have to mention some of Ali's finishing over last few games , absolutely top class , keep it up kid .......

Felon82 likes this.
  8. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Reading through the above, the mood is really good after six points and 8-2 on the road, and why not. Okay it could have been better today, Son my son, but that's being picky.

Not giving Janssen game time was disappointing....not the hardest decision to have been made Poch.

Wednesday a testing time. No silly early bookings and a fair share of the luck that's going, and the rest of the night will be down to our lads. Onwards and upwards.

COYS

P.S. And a Happy New Year one and all.

burnt likes this.
  9. Big fran Guest

At the halfway point were above champs elect city who would have thought it five games in???
    Its been a stuttering first half of the campaign tbf and are well placed for a top four spot again. I hope the recent form doesn't paper over the cracks that are obvious for all to see that we need a real game changer to be signed in this window asap to consolidate our current position and hopefully if we beat the chavs on weds get us into an unlikely title race. Hopefully the 3 points will tempt Mr Levy into gambling a few quid into a title push again.
    The problem is who do you sign and who is available. If we could sign one realistic target who would it be and why? Zaha was poor again yesterday,Barclay has talent but is inconsistent, Isco is an unrealistic target for me and also plays more central than what we need. Thoughts anyone?

burnt and Bazza47 like this.
  10. Bazza47

Morning Fran. You would hope for a game changer, but I suspect the ticket price of somebody as supporters we fancy, is beyond what DL would be prepared to pay.

Zaha was poor, you're right, but I do fancy a left sided player to provide balance, as I'm not a fan of inverted wingers, unless they are a top player. If the money is sensible, then I'd probably say yes to him....worry is he's another Andros.

If we went for a central player I'm not sure who he'd displace, as for me Alli and Eriksen are in good enough form to be starters, and top players don't come to warm the bench.

May we live in interesting times 'eh, starting with Wednesday.

COYS

burnt likes this.
  11. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Isco (loan deal realistic IMO);
    Marco Reus (the most unlikely!); or
    Dimitri Payet (would be very useful but nearly 30yrs old).

Agree we need some pace / width and believe there is a player in Zaha but he needs some proper man management. Still think N'Koudou needs to be given more minutes in the PL.

Last edited: January 2, 2017
    burnt and Bazza47 like this.
  12. Bazza47

Better known as N Kou Who....wouldn't recognise him if he ran me over Jonesy....

13. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I want Daniel Sturridge.

Happy New Year, Tottenham LIVE!!!

14. Big fran Guest

Don't see any reason why we could not afford Reus. He's quick versatile and gets goals. Would cost around 35m and 80-100k per week. Its the next step if we are to consolidate as a regular top four club and compete for major honours

Bazza47 likes this.
  15. Big fran Guest

Notice today martial was an unused sub and rashford was preferred to come off the bench on the left side. Utd paid a reported 36m for him before add ons.
    Just turned 21 can play wide right and left also CF. Got a very good strike rate in his career and is as fast as you like.
    Would utd take a 6m hit on him given he's down the order and would mean they don't have to pay the add ons? Spurs known admirers mmmm?

burnt likes this.
  16. Felon82 Well-Known Member

It's nice talking/dreaming about Quality next level January signings to help us achieve something and then theres reality in the shape of Ming.

17. guesty Guest

IMO....any decent offers for Nkoudou and Janssen and they will be sold. just not good enough. ....yes Janssen is a hard worker...but for his position its goals he needs not assists. ....as for Nkoudou......hasn't shown he'd even make a championship player

I'd get Siggi back....Swansea look pretty dire and I bet he'd jump at a return
    and I still think a cheeky Fabregas bid. ...no denying his quality (just have to get over his history). plus it would move Dembele up into the 3 behind Kane

NB - I thought we were looking at the Brentford lad....Hogan?? I have a Brentford supporter mate who rates him highly.

18. burnt Well-Known Member

Quality finisher for sure but he's made of glass ala Anderton , Ledley , Woodgate , all class players on their day but getting them on the pitch for any prolonged period was almost impossible ... You just know the odds are he'd get injured when we really needed him ..... Pity , but I'd leave him alone because of this ...

Felon82 and Jonesy like this.
  19. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Sturridge is a natural finisher but a bona fide sick note!

As I say, Isco or Reus is the type of player we need; although Reus wouldn't be do-able until the summer window IMO.

20. Bazza47

Now you're talking - good player.....dangerous.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button