The Unjustified Dismissal of Tottenham Hotspur

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Socrates, August 12, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Socrates

Socrates Member

I normally meet the disrespect that we’re shown, and the disregard and dismissal of Tottenham Hotspur as, actually, a pretty good side, with the level of insouciance that it deserves, but I saw a poster a few weeks ago that really pissed me off.

“They’re coming for you, Claudio,” was the caption - something to that effect anyway.

Claudio Ranieri was the spearhead of this particular poster, and behind Mr Ranieri were 5 managers: Guardiola. Mourinho. Conte. Klopp. Wenger.

Anyone of note missing? No? The mastermind of this particular poster - I’m pretty sure it was Sky Sports - didn’t seem to think so.

We’ve already been written off. “Tottenham Hotspur – 6th place,” seems to be the general consensus.

But why?

The majority of the media are displaying a quite staggering level of idiocy and ignorance in two key areas.

First, they still, unbelievably, invest in this myopic belief that big names + big money = big prizes. While I’ll acknowledge that Chelsea and Manchester City would serve as pretty solid evidence for that particular argument, Man United’s expenditure under Van Gaal and Leicester’s remarkable achievement last season go some way to undermine it.

Secondly, as a result of holding that specific belief, you consequently drown out the following one: a young squad can gain experience and, y’know, improve.

And that’s really worth repeating. Despite having last season’s best attack, best defence, and playing arguably the prettiest football, we still can, and will, improve.

So why is no one mentioning this? There’s not even been a discussion about it. While I forgive the media for lacking the prescience to predict our title challenge last year, I cannot look past those who have lacked even a semblance of foresight to bring up the incredibly plausible scenario of:

· an even better Lamela;
    · a more experienced Alli;
    · an improved Dier;
    · a 30 goal a season Kane;
    · a better Tottenham Hotspur

And that’s what’s been fuelling my rage, my anger and my frustration, and we’ve not even lost to Everton yet.

But while the media are blind to our incredible potential, I’m not.

Our two summer signings so far have been shrewd, plugging the squad’s two biggest gaps, bringing in Premier League experience in the form of Victor Wanyama and the Eredivisie’s top scorer last year in Vincent Janssen – both have been impressive in pre-season.

Others, such as youngsters Harry Winks and Cameron Carter-Vickers, and to a lesser degree Marcus Edwards, have impressed too, while Erik Lamela looks as confident as he’s ever been in a Spurs shirt – I feel this could be the season where he truly begins to justify that £30m price tag.

I could go on, but there’s no need. You don’t need me to tell you that Harry Kane, Danny Rose, Toby Alderweireld and Mousa Dembélé are outstanding players – you already know that.

And you don’t need me to tell you that our manager, too, is among the elite – you know that too.

What I will tell you is that I can’t see us finishing outside of the top two.

We still have issues, sure. The winning mentality, as we saw in May, is not quite there yet, with our inability to control our emotions when it counted most a big question mark, but we are still the best team in the league, and ‘team’ is very much the operative word here.

We’ve a team that fights for each other, with a harmony both on and off the pitch.

We’ve a manager who is professional, tactically astute, with the mentality of a winner.

We’ve a young and hungry squad, driven by an English core, and a deluges of home-grown players ready to make their mark.

And, despite what everyone else will have you believe, we’ve a team that will only improve game by game, and while Guardiola’s City or Mourinho’s United are still finding their feet, we’ll continue to make significant strides forward, until somebody, anybody, decides to step up and take notice.

2. smiley matt Guest

I believe we will be even better next season and will hit the ground running unlike city , united, chelsea who have new managers and players to gel. The main reason we didn't win the league last year was because Mason and Carroll simply arent good enough to rotate with Dier and Dembele - tbh it really erks me when I see either of those two starting or coming on as substitute.

For me I would sell Mason, Carroll, Bentaleb, Yedellin, Chadli
    Then simply buy 2 players Sissoko + Boufal
    Happy to see Winks, Onomah, Edwards, Walkes, Carter- Vickers, Harrisson get some playing time also

I would also like to make the point that I am very very happy that we finished 3rd rather than 2nd - despite bragging rights

if not 1st - 2nd / 3rd no real diff for me but I believe had we finished 2nd above arsenal ..They would have possibly moved Wenger on and appointed a real World Class Manager , Who would have undoubtedly wanted to get his own players in - they spent the sort of money that United and City have been spending got in some real quality players!
    Instead they finished 2nd , not really bought anyone of immense quality - Giroud is still first choice striker, Sideways El ninni will start, with rooted tree mertasacker as captain - Also if Spurs finished 2nd , Pochettino might actually think Mason and Carroll are good enough to rotate and start and would not have felt it necessary to buy Wanayama - Also Son being back up striker ..where as finishing 3rd we have got in Jansson who looks class - ideally suited to the premiership.

Im saying count your blessings and believe ..we are the best TEAM in the premier league and spending money isnt the same guarantee of success as before - Team spirit , Philosophy we are the bees - Sissoko and Boufal would help with the CL challenge also haveing 2 real teams of quality on rotation

COYS

3. JustASpur Guest

Funnily enough I was thinking about this yesterday and at first was getting pissed off. Especially after seeing a football365.com poll asking who were going to win the league and Spurs weren't even on the list. But then I thought about it and realised I was actually happy that we're going to start the season under the radar again. And, as a footnote, it's obvious that predictions are largely based on how much money the likes of United, City, and Chelsea have spent. Which suggests no-one remembers how well Spurs and Leicester did last season without spending silly-boy money. Or how "well" Louis van Gaal did after spending a quarter of a BILLION pounds!

Deggsy56 likes this.
  4. simon Guest

Couldn't have said it any better myself... The title is ours for the taking premier league look out The Spurs are coming!!! COYS

5. W. Churchill Guest

Now that sir is a speech!!!

6. Cheshuntboy Guest

Completely agree that money doesn't HAVE to equal success, as Leicester certainly proved last season, but can't share your apparent belief that our players and the team HAVE to get better - there are any number of players who've started-out like world-beaters and then tailed-off (Bentaleb, anyone?), while our history is littered with teams who've looked set for success and achieved nothing - would anyone have expected in 2011 that the next five years would have brought a succession of failures and embarrassments, and not a single trophy? Pochettino might eventually prove able to break the cycle of disappointment, but so far he's won nothing, and the coming season looks set to be a much tougher test of his abilities than was last (and remember how that ended!). I remain to be convinced.

7. Spursius Guest

Good point. I'll go so far as to say we've got a 70% chance of getting into the top 4. The fact that Man U and Chelsea do not have CL football these coming months will be critical in determining if we can make it whilst getting somewhere in one of the cups.

8. Patnevin Guest

Like others have said, the fact that we're being overlooked for the top 4, let alone the title, doesn't bother me when I think about it. My first reaction is to get the hump over it but after calming down I realise it's a good thing. I just read an article with the manager where he's saying it wasn't a physical problem that caused our collapse at the end of last season. He said it was a mental thing. I tend to believe that. I don't think for one moment he'd sacrifice his integrity, reputation and game plan just to pay lip service to Levy being a tight arsed penny pincher (the only problem I have with levy btw). He even said that levy offered him money for a DM'er but chose to play Dier there. That being the case...if he can change the mentality of the players into one of thinking the title is theirs to win, he won't need to spend millions upon millions on exotic names and the fighting spirit of the players will rise to the challenge of not being considered as title contenders. Role on Saturday!!!!!

9. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

..... Not forgetting Liverpool and Klopp will be better too!!!

10. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Thing is, Ibrahimovic and Mourinho are serial first time winners. Most managers who have ever done Madrid usually are, as three years is about the expectancy of their manager'stwnure. Ibrahimovic has only spent.more than three seasons at a club once, at that was four at PSG. United could finish 16th and still attract big players, big managers. They truly are too big to fail. I'm not backing them for the league but they will finish top three. I'm not sure you can contest this - Mourinho, Ibra, Pogba, Martial - they're too good to write off.

City have the world's best coach. They have a fantastic side who, player for player, are better than us, with the exception of Lloris for Hart and Alli for Sterling. This isn't me being pessimistic, this is my view - it was an unmotivated squad who looked lethargic last season and Pep will sort this out. They should win the title.

Chelsea under Conte - out of all the bigger sides, I doubt them the most. I'm just not sure Conte can play the system he wants with so many older players having vital roles. Not up to scratch but if Conte gets Hazard playing, they'll be a f*cking irritating side.

Liverpool are also so strong now. Klopps instilled in them a winning attitude, he's got a system that works and if Origi has a big season they'll do very, very well. Still defensive frailties, but will push for top four.

Leicester looked pretty done in the Charity Shield. Mourinho proved that if you don't give them anything, they won't score goals. Obviously doesn't help with Fellaini. They won't be challenging in the league.

Traditionally midtable sides like WHU, Everton, Soton always seem to be improving. We will seriously have to scrap for every point next year.

And that brings us onto us. I'm a tad worried that we have nothing *different* about us, that's all. Maybe we don't need to improve as much as other sides, but great teams never go sideways in transfer windows. I'm worried that teams will be able to sit and defend a 1-0 lead at WHL for 90 minutes, or blunt our attack by playing two deep lying banks of four. I am by no means writing off the season, however. I have the feeling last year wasn't a one-off; Verts, Toby, Hugo are a fantastic trio. Rose excels in the system, and Walker's physical ability is brilliant - it almost makes up for the fact he doesn't have a brain. I think he'll get found out in Europe, however.

The additions have been necessary but not spectacular - our strongest starting XI for Everton will be the same as last season. Of course, players will improve.

One final thought - IF Erik Lamela has the season of his life, we will win the title. I really believe it is that simple - he's come on so much, he looks so confident and I really believe he can be similar to Mahrez next season. I have big hopes for the argentine.

11. Nomadico Well-Known Member

I am never concerned about what the so called experts and TV pundits think about us,but the disrespect shown to Spurs from our own Fan base is a concern,we drop a point and suddenly it is season over,Poch out,Levy must go,Fan blogs are full of it.As Spurs fans we ALL wish to win the League,FA Cup,I live in hope, I watched them do it once and to see them do it twice in my life time would be fantastic.Big Bill Nicholson told a group of school kids "learn to play football and then learn to win"as a 6 year old it meant a lot to me then and it means more now,WE ARE SPURS..

12. blueporsh Guest

There's obviously something going very wrong behind the scenes which has to eventually reveal itself with poor performances on the pitch or in the dugout.

13. Keng Guest

First, let me say I thoroughly enjoy reading every article that you and everyone post here. Some I agree on, some not, by nonetheless I admire all the real Spurs supporters.

My 2 cents here is that I like the picture and depiction here. Whether intentional or not, it don't matter. I actually thrive on us being somewhat outcast. It makes or our work and play much more free and steadfast. If you notice last season too much talk and speculation drove us astray. We are a young and industrious team, let us be cast offs if you must, we don't need the spotlight. Just taking a moment to reminisce from the last, we all remember the best statistics in the league - and by a big margin. So lest not forget and build, for if you ask me. We perform like last year plus the W and J and Lamela the coming of the wonder. It's Ohh Moussa Dembelee , Ohh Moussa Dembelee ... all over again, plus a lot more.

#Coys

14. Kev Guest

It was always gonna be us (Spurs) being left in the shadows, going quietly about our business awaiting the start of the new season. With Utd & Mourinho shelling out so much money on Pogba, the press for & against Jose will have the headlines already for the back pages over the coming weeks. With City doing little business & Gooners as usual praying to the football gods for Wenger to somehow lose his arrogance/ stubbornness and buy players that they so badly need, I'm quite happy Poch has kicked on and shown just what a great job he did last season and how ultimately he wants that No.1 spot come May next year. Yes there's pressure on us to finish better than last season, but fans, the press and most importantly the boards of Utd, City, Liverpool & Chelsea will be expecting far far more. Under Poch we will prove yet again there's no substitute for an experienced young squad, who provide the type of entertainment and winning ways that us fans crave, sit back and enjoy Wenger with his quilted 'nightie jacket' losing the plot when his team lose another match and his zip won't do up. Enjoy Jose & Pep renewing their relationship on the touch line whilst we push on and leave the pundits scratching their heads at why they didn't see Spurs making winning an art form week in week out !!! COYS

Nomadico likes this.
  15. Felon82 Well-Known Member

5 minutes into the season-

Everton 1-0 Spurs

The 1st half has been a piss poor continuation of the end of season slump.

Its been like watching England play, no creative play, ambling around all waiting for someone else to do something.

Although i agree we are often dismissed as contenders for anything and especially behind liverpool is laughable.
    But we bring it on ourselves we are universally renowned as chokers/bottlers because thats what we do.
    So until we break that trend we'll always be seen in this light.

Nomadico likes this.
  16. burnt Guest

Have to agree with Felon here , we are perceived as a soft touch , a team that will always let you down when it really matters , and unfortunately for us we spectacularly lived up to it again at the end of last season when presented with a massive opportunity , possible a one in a million ... There's only one way to change it I'm afraid and until that happens , that's the way we will always be perceived .... Ultimately it's just opinions anyway and it will have no bearing on what happens between now and next May ....
    Over to the game , awful first half really , looked an uninspiring midfield partnership on paper and that's the way it turned out but it was like that all over the pitch to be fair , then to top it off by giving away an awful goal and the keeper getting injured , only good thing at the break was we were only one down ... Got a bit better after the break especially when we took off one of the workhorse midfielders and brought on Jansen .. We finished the stronger and prob should have nicked it in the end but our first 45 mins today didn't merit 3 points ... All in all a decent point but an overall performance that wouldn't be getting you too excited about the season ahead ...

Felon82 likes this.
  17. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I think after game is over you must have your mind changed, Felon82.
    The goal against was a Lloris mistake. The second mistake was Poch's. He prepared to break the opposition through the middle, while Koeman built a fortress there. Once he directed his fullbacks to go wide in 2nd half and cross the contest has entirely changed. By now the overall impression is positive and the complain should be shifted to Spurs fail to win, while being a better team on the pitch.

18. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Hi Spurporter, there was a big improvement 2nd half i had only posted on what id witnessed in the 1st half.

In relation to the thread though and your last sentence, this is exactly why we arent viewed as serious contenders.

Nomadico likes this.
  19. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Good Afternoon to you all, welcome back to our stress release site for another PL season.

Thoughts....
    - what I saw of Janssen and Wanyama, they will be key additions to the squad
    - the closed season transfer activity remains predictably thin, given our impending CL campaign
    - yesterday we were awful for 45, with the reason we looked like England is we are England. That was worrying.
    - second half was so much better, but despite dominating the game, we failed to close it off. These are must win games.
    - I thought that there were three worryingly below par performances, namely Lloris, Eriksen and Kane. Hugo should have got the goal. He made some key blunders last year that cost us. He just didn't look sharp. Christian was extremely lightweight, never won a challenge, always went for the easy option, nothing penetrating. Harry is adopting a new style - not going in the box. Only two touches in the match...that is shite!
    It's great to be back lads.....
    COYS

Spurporter and Felon82 like this.
  20. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Great article. Personally I'm delighted we are being dismissed and ignored. It takes some of the pressure off and to be honest I don't really care about what the press thinks because they always want the likes of City, Chelsea, United at the top. The press hated Leicerster winning the title last season. Their paymasters want only certain teams to do well and it has been that way ever since the inception of the Premier league.

As the seasons goes on, we will get more attention because I fully expect us to finish in the top 4 again, hopefully higher.
    I think the players brought in will be good additions and allow for some rotation in key positions.

I would like Poch to change to 4-4-2 because with Jansen he is a perfect foil for Kane.

Yesterday we were slow to start but in the second half were much better and I am enjoying seeing the continued improvement of Erik Lamela.
    We dominated posession but as last season we didn't take our chances. We need to sort that out sooner rather than later but I'm happy and confident that we will have another good and progressive season.

Nomadico and Spurporter like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button