The Real Erik Lamela will be on show for Tottenham, insists Argentine himself

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by George S, July 22, 2014.

Share This Page

1. George S

George S New Member

Erik Lamela is enjoying a new lease of life at Tottenham Hotspur and is more confident than ever that he will have a successful season with the club.

The Argentine attacker moved to White Hart Lane for £30 million last summer but endured a different first season as a Spurs player.

A lack of form and injuries restricted his opportunities but he is insistent that Tottenham fans will see a much better player this season.

The Argentine is determined to impress

Lamela spoke to The Sun ahead of the new Premier League season, Sky Sports quoted the winger.

He said: “I am getting in good shape and am determined to show Tottenham fans the real Erik Lamela this season.

“I have recovered from my injuries, we have a new manager and I cannot wait to play. I am confident you will see a much better me this season.

“Last season was a frustrating one all round for me. It took a while to get into the team and then I kept getting injured, which meant I was overlooked by Argentina too.

“Moving to a new club is always hard but it is even harder when it is in a new country and you are not able to play.

“A footballer always feels lonely when he can’t play for whatever reason and I felt very lonely at times last season. There have never been any problems with my team-mates, they have been there always.

“But now my injuries have gone and we have a new manager who is the same nationality as me, I feel as though I have a new lease of life.”

Former Roma man never considered leaving

On several occasions Lamela was linked with a return to Italy but he is adamant he never thought about leaving the club.

The Argentine also felt bad that he couldn’t play and show fans of his talents but he can’t wait to start doing well for Tottenham this year.

“Leaving Tottenham never once entered my mind, not even when I was feeling at my lowest,” Lamela said.

“I wanted to play but, unfortunately, my injuries meant I couldn’t. That made me feel bad because the club had paid a lot of money for me and I wasn’t even able to get on to the pitch.

“But I never wanted to leave. I was determined to stay at the club and show everybody — my team-mates, staff and the fans — that I was a good player.

“Now I feel better and my mind is 100 per cent focused on doing well for Tottenham, like it has always been.”

Everyone will be hoping Lamela can enjoy the type of season fans expected when he moved to the club last August.

A positive sign is the youngster talking so confidently about the 2014/15 campaign and under the tuition of countryman Mauricio Pochettino, we could finally see the real Erik Lamela.

2. Trigspur Guest

Refreshing to hear a player talk so openly about wanting to play and feeling bad that the club paid a lot of money for him. Would be very easy not to commit to the club and do what a lot of players do which is say we'll see what happens. Ok he hardly played so it's hard to judge but hopefully we will see what the lad can do. Football may be played on grass but a lot of it is played in the head and if you have no confidence then it's an uphill battle no matter who you are. Good luck to him and the rest of the squad when the season starts!! Come on you spurs!! Tottenham till I die

Dexter likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button