The 2014/15 End of season Awards (13 nominations!!!)

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, May 24, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

As another season draws to a close with a familiar feel of transition and little to celebrate at White Hart Lane, it's time for me to lighten the mood, get out a slightly stained red carpet and present (metaphorically) my awards for the 2014/15 season!

Pensioner of the season(s)

Let me start with a heartfelt award for someone who has given great service to Tottenham but also been a great ambassador to Football in general. As he finally hangs up his boots tomorrow, and how fitting would it be if he got at least a few minutes on the pitch, l give my first award to the geriatric giant that is Brad Friedel!!!

Top bloke, top keeper and now an ambassadorial role with Spurs beckons. Thanks and all the best Brad.

Most Improved Player

Now then, of course the obvious choice here might be Harry Kane, but I am not giving this award to young Harry, no Sir.

Candidates are: Ryan Mason, Nabil Bentaleb and Danny Rose.

Ryan Mason has been around Spurs for a long time and it has taken a sustained effort for him to firmly cement his place in the starting eleven at White Hart Lane. This season he has grown in stature and will no doubt be a regular for years to come.

In recent weeks, the number of games seems to have caught up with him and he has looked tired but against Hull City he delivered a superb pass to set up Danny Rose to score and he is a young man full of potential.

Under Tim Sherwood, Bentaleb came into the side and after a bright start was much criticised and seen as being ' teachers pet.' Under Pochettino, Benataleb has matured and overall has shown that he can be a star of the future, whilst being far from the finished article.

Danny Rose has had stick from all sections of the White Hart Lane faithful but the arrival of Ben Davies seems to have given him the proverbial kick up the bum he has needed. He has shown great improvement in his attacking play and his crossing has been much better. He has strengthened his defence play in general and even chipped in with a couple of goals.

So, a tricky category, but I am giving the award to the player that I believe has worked hardest to improve and therefore, most improved player 2014/15 goes to..... Danny Rose.

Pantomime Villain

Ah, yes. The award for that player who appears only a couple of times a year but always gets it so badly wrong.

There are quite a few candidates for this one.

Paulinho just for pretending to be a Brazilian footballer, Fazio for his ability to get red cards when it would seem impossible to create a dangerous situation and of course Emmanuel Adebayor. His publicly played out family issues of voodoo and magic have been bizarre and his insistence that he is happy at Spurs whilst not playing much football, have all added to his 'villainous' status.

But, my pantomime villain award goes to Vlad Chiriches. The player David Pleat calls Kiri cheese has really made some howlers this year. His inability to not see the ball coming over his head, his ability to miss the ball completely and then try and play volleyball, to his crazy red card at Stoke City just give him the edge. Come and get your award Vlad, but please try not to drop it!!!!

Underrated Player of the Year

Overrated player of the year would have so many candidates that I would be still writing this until the year infinity, so I thought I would narrow the field!!

For me this award goes to Nacer Chadli. He can be frustrating but his goals and assists have been useful this season and simply for that, I think he deserves a little praise, so have your award Nacer.

On Loan Player of the Season

Spurs have had a good few players out on loan this season, with Lennon doing a good job for Everton and and Alex Pritchard helping Brentford to the brink of the Premier league only to be pipped at the post.

Tom Carroll has been out again but is inconsistent and perhaps a player more suited to the Championship, but we will see.

One player I want to see back at the Lane next season is Lewis Holtby. I like his effort and he suits a high pressing game so I think Poch should consider giving him a chance.

All in all, for his goals and silky skills, my award goes to Alex Pritchard. I have watched him many times this season and expect him to make an impact for Spurs next season at some point.

Goal of the Season

Harry Kane against Arsenal? That header was sublime and showed maturity beyond his years. Beautiful and the fact it came against the Woolwich Wanderers makes it that extra bit special. Also his goal against Chelsea when he turned, showed strength and fired in low past the keeper was another beauty as was his turn and low shot in the same game.

Danny Rose against Hull. Great vision from Mason and a great finish by the young left back.

I have watched the Goals again and it is a goal from the Capital One Cup that takes my award. The second leg of the semi-final at Bramall Lane was typical Spurs heart attack football but Christian Eriksen's free kick gets the nod from me. To get it up and over and into that far corner was sheer class. Brilliant technique, brilliant goal!!! Get in there son!!

Should have gone to SpecSavers Award

I present this award to Danny Rose's barber! Red hair?! Honestly, have a word Danny!!!

Communication Breakdown Award

Chiriches has had one award so I will let him off this one! This award is going to be shared by the usually unflappable Hugo Lloris and the very likeable Eric Dier for their complete **** up at Stoke City. " To me, to you" in true Chuckle Brother's style and the ball ended in the net. Oh dear fellas!!! Try communicating next time!!!

The David Pleat Award for Pronunciation

Dear old David. His commentary is best with the sound off, but if you do have the patience, his pronunciation of some of our players this season has been unbelievable!

Kiri Cheese, Ugo Lloreees, Eric Dear, Lamelia, Verternongen. In fact, David, have the award yourself!!!

Game of the Season

A little step back to reality for a moment if I may.

In a season of some truly dreadful performances, which game was the best? I struggled with this one to be honest but I doubt you will be too surprised that it came down to two games.

Chelsea at the Lane and Arsenal at the Lane. Both brilliant games in their own ways.

The Arsenal game was technically the better performance as I felt we defended better and were more solid but for me it's the Chelsea game that just gets this award. It was entertaining, true Spurs stuff of legend. Excellent going forward , Harry Kane giving a Roy of the Rovers performance and some truly awful defending. It was a performance that summed up Spurs history. Exciting, exuberant but ultimately deficient in defence meaning we leak too many goals.

It was a fantastic game, a superb result and in true Spurs style we then failed to win our very next game!!!!! So there it is , my game of the season for 2014/15 goes to Tottenham Hotspur versus Chelsea.

Transition of the Year Award

This award goes to Tottenham Hotspur FC and PLC. When the new stadium is built, maybe it should be called the Transition stadium as that is where we are yet again!!! We are building for the future. Again. We will move forward. Again. Yawn.

Award presented. Next!!!

The Merry go Round Award

This is an award for a player who goes around in circles but rarely offers anything productive. 2 candidates for this one folks.

Andros Townsend is my first nominee. I get the feeling he could sit on the bench for years and Roy Hodgson would still pick him for England!! But his place in the Spurs team is hardly assured. He can score goals and does have ability but how many times does he run forward, then turn round, then turn back around and then fall over or get tackled?! Aaaarrrrghhhhh!!!!!

The second nominee is our most expensive acquisition ever. The £30 million pound man, Erik Lamela. Again, there is talent there. You don't score a Rabona without some degree of skill but he also runs around in small circles, gets bumped off the ball, passes to anyone but a Spurs player and then does it all over again.

It's a tough one this so I am going to sit my bum on the fence and let both of them fight it out between them. I imagine they will both fight over the trophy and neither come away with it!!!!!

Player of the Season

Easy. Harry Kane. Put simply he has taken the bull by the horns and been a revelation. He is one of our own and long may that be the case. One thing he will need to be aware of though, is that teams will know better how to play against him next season so we will truly see then just how good this young man is. A stunning season Harry and without you, I dread to think where we would have finished in the league. Harry, we salute you!!!!!

And so, the red carpet is now stained to the point where I need to nip out now and hire a rug doctor. It has been another season of promise, frustration and ultimately transition. Yet again.

I'm off to wash the carpet now and get ready for a stress free summer watching the Ashes. Optimism, hope, failure. Why do I do it to myself eh?

Best wishes to all bloggers who have contributed to some cracking debate this season and now we await the transfer window and a fresh dawn for the Spurs!!!

As ever, COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!!!

bruski, notnats and Felon82 like this.
  2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

1 that flew under the radar was a game where im sure every Spurs fan was watching/listening intensely, having recieved 2 losses the season prior away to Wet Sham on the opening day, Pochs 1st game, an uninspiring window, down to 10, Noble misses penalty, we dig in, then in the dying moments new boy Dier rounds the keeper n slots in the empty net.
    3 points, relief, revenge, jubilation n crying scummy Sham fans!
    Priceless!!!!!

3. The Cockerel

The Cockerel Member

Too right, Felon82! That goal cemented my love for Young Eric Dier. May he go on to become a Spurs legend!
    And, btw MattJ78, we don't do red carpets at WHL. You should know better! Navy blue all the way! Lilywhite carpets would be a bit bling!
    Looking forward to next season already, COYS!

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Prize to the Cockerel!!! You spotted the deliberate mistake!!!

The Cockerel likes this.
  5. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Fantastic moment and it was Harry that put him thru. For me its Dier for the most underrated player this year purely because this 4m kid who has come straight into the first team as well as the EPL and has been one of our most consistent all year, especially when it looked as tho we were going to stick with Kaboul. Buy of the year.

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. notnats

Most improved player of the year.. hhmm.. I think Danny Rose has been one of our best and most improved, I particularly like his attitude and courage this year and he has really risen to the challenge this year. Well done, ill be the first to admit that id written him off last year but I don't mind at all if a player can prove me wrong. However as much as he's finished off this season playing very well he hasn't been consistent all the way thru. Harry on the other hand has come into his first regular season and completely taken over the lone striker role banging in 31 goals and lifted his team with some breathtaking displays. We didn't buy any strikers and it looked like it was Ade and Soldado for the season.
    Harry to the rescue, superstar and super hero, player of the season and most improved for me. oh and best goal, Harry again v Chelsea, took the ball from the left, did it all himself, low and hard, perfection.

Mattj78 and The Cockerel like this.
  7. notnats

Just landed in Sydney, huge buzz around town, loads of Spurs here. Cant wait for kick off, 70 000 expected. Happy days..

Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button