Term 'Spursy' just an excuse to hide an underlying problem

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, October 26, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Josh Bolton

Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    Words can’t describe games like today, and I’m under the impression that the word ‘Spursy’ doesn’t remotely cover it anymore. There is very much, an underlying problem at our football club.

Against Newcastle last season, AVB’s defensive-driven Spurs, forced the Magpie’s Tim Krul into making a PL record of 14 saves, today he only had to make two.

So let’s dissect the dish of this poisonous performance at WHL today…

Forward line looking backwards

Today, Newcastle moved up to within one point of ourselves in the PL table, but didn’t we make it easy for them!

While Krul was only tested twice, Newcastle’s back four were merely bystanders, while commentator Danny Murphy, at one point, said that left-back Paul Dummet: could’ve “sat back and lit a cigar during this second half”.

Today’s game defied Poch’s appointment that hoped to bring attacking and intelligent pressing football. Our front four had a total of 227 touches of the football between them – only making six key passes and one shot on target combined.

Not only is there a lack of cohesion in terms of when the four are in possession, but their pressing-game lacks purpose and wit; it’s sometimes equivalent to toddler’s football – whereby everyone chases the ball without any positional awareness!

Eric & Erik – not right down the right

Both Lamela and Dier didn’t impress today, and what makes it worse, is that both players are playing in a position that requires the pair to work in unison.

The first issue is the familiar problem of an inverted winger combined with a fullback that doesn’t overlap. This problem narrows the field of play when we are attacking, before dragging other players out of position, to fill the gap that neither Lamela or Dier have taken up, when the opposition counter down the right.

Where Dier is still learning his trade at right back, in one of the most challenging footballing leagues, in front of him is Lamela, a player who has been unable to combine moments of magic with the simple stuff.

The more frequently Lamela loses possession in these attempts of the spectacular, the more Dier is left exposed and required to defend.

All Rosey at left-back

Today Danny Rose was without doubt our best player on the pitch– predominantly in an attacking sense.

The positive is that Rose has often come under fire for his lack of a ‘footballing brain’ when in the first and final third, but today, his composure was brilliant I thought.

Our only negative in relation to Rose (nothing of his own doing) is that, our left-back, was at times our best and only attacking option! No matter what changes are made in the coming weeks, Danny Rose has to be one of the first names on Poch’s team-sheet.

Poch’s pick = bewildering

I know we comprehend the magnitude of Poch’s task at WHL, and have to stress that patience is needed, but that doesn’t mean our manager can’t be questioned!

I have faith in Poch’s style, his tactics and his capability of being our manager, but the only thing that I doubt after today’s game – is his selection policy.

Poch had stated, in the past, that players are picked on merit rather than name, but today’s decision opposed that. After Soldado’s promising link-up (however goalless) performance last Saturday, and Harry Kane’s hat-trick in midweek – picking Ade didn’t possess any justification.

Strikers live and thrive off confidence produced by a consistent run in the team, none of which our three forwards have had.

Booing from the home support was heard at the final whistle today, but after Pardew’s Newcastle picked up their first PL away win since March, also without difficulty, who can blame them!

2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Poch is proving to be out of his depth.
    The atmosphere is non existent, the football is woeful and attendances are dropping.
    Worrying times.

eriks rabona likes this.
  3. eriks rabona New Member

Poch is useless. Zero passion or urgency from the players. Its shocking to witness how far we have dropped off since the Modric/Bale era. Back to the tedium of mid table nothingness of the 90s if we are lucky. Relegation could be on the cards if we don't sort it out! Gutted

4. jlospur Guest

have to say the chairman needs to look at himself very hard and ask why he sacked Harry, when we were going somewhere.Three managers later and we are going backwards, I can take the defeats against top four sides but Newcastle and West Brom are not going to win the league. Southampton must be rolling with laughter sell half the team and loose their manager, only to be stronger than last season - did they know something we didn't.
    Its clear we need a striker who can score 15 - 20 goals per season, currently we have three who combined will struggle to hit that amount. Is Glen Hoddle still on standby?

Deggsy56 likes this.
  5. no defence,no shape to the team why dont we buy a striker n give harry a run?

levy please go now!

Deggsy56 likes this.
  6. Pete Guest

Two words sum up todays performance, passionless and spineless. We are heading back to mid table mediocrity at an alarming rate. I've always supported levy but he needs to listen to the supporters just for one. Baldini needs to be got rid of as soon as possible, he doesn't have a bloody clue what he's doing. Poch needs to play the players in form, regardless of their name and he needs to get them playing for the club not their over inflated salaries. If Spurs aren't careful they'll be in a relegation fight for the rest of the season. I say play the kids for the remainder of the pointless Europa league and get shot of it as quickly as possible and concentrate on getting the league form sorted out!

7. ultrapunch Guest

Pochettino had one reasonably good season at Espanyol, but was sacked the following season when they languished at the foot of the table. He had one good year at Southampton; no doubt he left before being found out this season. He's no improvement on either AVB or Pochettino. He's just another RAMOS; an overrated foreign coach. Spurs have had their fair share: Gross, that French bloke whose name escapes me, AVB, Ramos. Pochettino is no Mourinho. Compare their CV's for starters.

I'll be surprised if he is still at Spurs next season if Spurs are mid table mediocrity at the end of the season, or even worse, in a relegation fight.

Deggsy56 likes this.
  8. Martin Bigg Guest

I have not seen such **** in all my life,I put a lot on Levy for this as a lot of the current squad do not deserve to wear the Lily While shirt.Todays performance was garbage I did not think the standard could get any lower but the Spurs players (that's a laugh)proved me wrong again,

Deggsy56 likes this.
  9. homer57 Guest

the chairman wants champions league but wont spend unless he can sell at a profit! if he had club at heart he wouldnt think that way! go u little weasel and give usour spurs back!

Deggsy56, Mattj78 and eriks rabona like this.
  10. Hotspur24 New Member

The best team we have had for a long time was under 'arry , champions league for the first time and he got sacked. Arry would love to manage the likes of lamela, eriksen, chadli and soldado and im sure he would do a better job than any of the last 3 managers. Although, Sherwood did get the best out of Adebayor. AVB dropped him and was castigated, but he has been totally vindicated in that decision. How can we draw against Sunderland and lose to bloody Albion who havent won at WHL for years, and Newcastle who have been woeful for weeks. Im afraid there are hard times ahead for the faithful. We may as well try and win the Europa cup and get in the Champions league this way, cuz we have no chance of reaching the top 4 this season or any other season in the future.

Deggsy56 likes this.
  11. burnt Guest

Europa isn't a pointless competition in my opinion .. I never got the diff between playing thur + sun & playing wed + sat if your in champs lge .. All this nonsense talk about cant play thurs + sun has got into the players heads and given them another excuse for gutless displays .. Surly its good practice for champs lge , where everyone wants to be .. On top of that there's a champs lge place for the winners this season so its the most important cup comp we are in this season in my opinion .. This season we,ve more or less played 2 diff teams in each so cant be used as an excuse .. How much do the barca,s , the madrids , or munich,s rotate .. Barca in their hay day played messi, xavi ,iniesta and most of the other first 11 all the time and went to the end of every competition for years on end .. They also went to the finals in every international comp for 3 or 4 years during this period so got very little rest even during the summer break but guess what , they never got tired .. In England there tired in September for gods sake .. In the last few weeks we,ve had a situation where a 19y/o couldn't play for his country because he was too tired .. lol its embarassing and its nonsense ..

Deggsy56 and Hotspur24 like this.
  12. Waylon New Member

Not surprised by todays result, we are heading backwards big time. I'm afraid we are looking at a terrible season, with avoiding relegation being a real concern, to me there are only two teams clearly worse than we are. The real concern is we are not improving, and have a squad full of average players who seem ill equipped for a relegation dog fight.

13. Howard Guest

It seems to me that not enough research was done in the Bale-money signings. Footballing skill is not the only consideration - how will they adapt to a more physical league? What sort of personality does a player have? What motivates them? Would their family settle happily in the UK? Many of the players we bought appear to be journeymen, happy to pick up their wages but not prepared to bust a gut for our Club. The ones that show the most commitment have come through the Academy.

14. Mattj78

I felt that poch was a good appointment and that he would need time, but I am surprised that we are struggling so much. The excuse of players taking time to gel is simply not valid any more.
    If Koeman can get his tactics across to Southampton so quickly, then poch cannot use that excuse any more. It simply doesn't wash.
    If you look at the players we have, they have individual talents but are simply not playing as a team. Every game we keep playing with inverted wingers and it just doesn't work.
    It's all very well beating second rate teams in Europe, but it is in the premier league we need to see a vast improvement in form and the way we play.
    Lamela scored one of the best goals I have ever seen on Thursday, yet today he couldn't do some of the very simplest things on the football pitch.
    Kaboul and Vertonghen looked lost at times and defensively we are inept.
    Dier is still learning but he looks out of his depth at times and he needs to get forward much more.
    Harry Kane would quite rightly have felt aggrieved today to not get a start. Yes, Adebayor scored, but his all round play is not good enough.
    Soldado should also have started in my opinion. You look at a managers team selection and poch' s is just baffling.
    It is not just on the pitch that we should be concerned though. The attendance was poor on Thursday and was a thousand short of capacity today and the atmosphere was again non existent.
    The fans are apathetic and the team are bordering on pathetic.
    We are eleventh and have now had the worst start since Ramos start when he was then sacked. Surely that is worrying.

Time is still needed but levy must go. I know that I am accused of not thanking him enough for how he has transformed my beloved team into a forward thinking club, but you only have to look at Spurs to see that there the club is rotten. Rotten from the top down.

I hope I am wrong but I look at Koeman at the saints and poch at Spurs and wonder which manage is totally out of his depth.

Deggsy56 likes this.
  15. Phil Guest

Why did we get rid of Harry, this new so called Manager is a standing joke. Great tactician haha, what has he achieved please let us all know. I have always loved Tottenham and hate the fact that we are very poor at the moment with very little motivation shown by the club. We have obviously tried to manage spurs as cheap as possible as we certainly have not got what I would call a pretty average manager. Pay peanuts get monkeys that thats all we have at the moment.

I think its time to get shot of this so called Manager and get somebody in that knows what they are doing, also somebody that can pick a team.

Mattj78 likes this.
  16. Mattj78

But levy is the one who keeps getting it wrong. He must go.

17. Phil Guest

I can understand what you mean about Levy but unfortunately unless somebody with some cash is about we are stuck with him. Just bring Harry back at least he can motivate the players and if he cant they go.

18. homer57 Guest

as fans of our great club its time to stop the silence and acceptance and let they who are dragging us down know exactly how we feel! its our club not urs levy dont take the fans as mugs,if you want a buisness as a plaything,buy archway metal and sod off somewhere with it!

Mattj78 likes this.
  19. StevieS.COYS New Member

I'm not sure too much blame should be directed at Poch. Yes some questions over selection but first half were any of us questioning it too much, we controlled the game, dominated and if I weren't a Spurs fan I would have been thinking 3 points in the bag! As usual, we then manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Dier is not a right back and has been thrown in on a full time basis when he should be blooded in this league but with our other RB's injured we have little choice, although a lack of concentration gave them an equaliser, which is why we need a leader at the back and we don't have one! Rose was best player today, followed by Ryan Mason & I can't fault Hugo. The rest apart from the subs, need to start playing with some guts & passion! I put the blame firmly on them. They are the consistent factor, AVB, Sherwood & now Poch, are asking them to play a certain way, and they consistently under perform. I don't care if Lamela scores with a "rabona" against a little known Greek outfit called Asteras Tripolis, and we beat them 5 - 1, unconvincingly by the way, score line flattered us & covered bad defensive errors. What matters is doing it against tough opposition in the PL, and apart from a bad QPR side he hasn't. Newcastle are struggling and we still can't get a performance out of these overpaid hyped up players. If we have a couple more like Mason & Kane, drop the so called stars and play them! These players need to look at themselves and take responsibility!

Deggsy56 and Mattj78 like this.
  20. Mattj78

Sadly the majority of Spurs fans haven't got the balls to stand up to levy.

Baldini. Levy. Lewis. Ruining our club.

Felon82 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button