Team news & expected line-up against Everton - 29/08/2015

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by josh_b, August 28, 2015.

Share This Page

1. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Halfway through a week that arguably defines our season, we play host to an Everton team fresh from a 3-0 demolition of Southampton - no easy feat, given the current climate.

In this game last season, a Kevin Mirralas opener was cancelled out by Christian Eriksen, and then Soldado scored a rare goal from open play on the brink of half time, in what proved to be the match winning goal.

Only 5 of the starting 11 last time are likely to feature this time around, in Lloris, Vertonghen, Mason, Bentaleb, and Kane.

With the players coming in we may finally see a high press, and a brand of attacking football that we have craved recently.

However, there is no doubt that Everton have the quality to punish us for defensive errors, so the back four and the defensive midfield must be watertight if we are to come away with three points.

Clinton N'Jie may feature but I would be surprised if he was to start; a young player still adapting to the English game is likely to struggle against a couple of the league's better defenders in Seamus Coleman and John Stones.

Instead, I expect to see a similar starting eleven to the game at home to Stoke, but for Danny Rose to come in to help deal with the physical threat of Romelu Lukaku.

Pochettino said:
    "It'll be a really tough game, .. I think it'll be a great game and an exciting game.”
    "Lukaku is playing really well and is in a really good moment, and I like the style of Roberto Martinez.”

Harry Kane has scored just two goals in his last 11 Premier League appearances.

"I'm not worried about Harry Kane, he is a top scorer and he will get the chances. Harry now is okay, and against Leicester he played very well. If you work hard, like he does, and has the quality he has, then he will be fine."

Dele Alli said:
    “Everton are a good team and it will be tough, but we’ll be concentrating on our own game and I’m sure we can pick up our first win in front of our home supporters.
    “Of course, I’m hoping to get some game time and make my home debut at the Lane, but if it doesn’t happen this weekend, I’m confident it will come soon.”

Squad news

Son Heung-min unavailable, Eriksen injured, Townsend doubtful.

Expected starting XI

Lloris, Rose, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Walker, Mason, Dier, Chadli, Dembele, Dele Alli, Kane.

2. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Good prediction. Trippier in Walker place is my only change.

3. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Width and 2 up front.

Soldado by the way was superb tonight.

4. Dan Guest

I think vertonghen should move to left back instead of Davies and give Wimmer a chance at centre back. Dier is not a CDM! Put him in at RB, I would play a diamond midfield mason holding, Chadli and Walker on the wing and Alli in behind Lamela and Kane

5. October 11, 1958. Tottenham 10, Everton 4. Can we start to find the magic combination this weekend, even without Ericksen? Let us pray, then let us play! Lick the Toffees, I say!

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. Mattj78

Four. Four. Bloody. Two.

7. big fran Guest

With a fully fit squad pick me your best 442 and tell me where eriksen fits in!?

8. Dan Guest

The the question above that's easy....a diamond formation

Mason or Bentaleb

Lamela Chadli

Eriksen

Kane Son

9. johnnyhrvat Guest

I would go for 3-5-2 just so there is one less to play keep-ball at the back - maybe have Kane as CB so he gets to see the ball a bit.
    'Audere est facere' is to be changed to 'Ludere tutum' - 'Play it safe'.
    Really hoping to see some 'football' today.

10. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Every game is a tough game when you have an average team being led by an average 1 dimensional manager.
    I expect wel be playing Pochs 'favoured' insipid winger system with 2 holding mids primed to go sideways backways and not give any protection to the defence, the only high press in football that isolates the lone striker, cbs that cant head/mark/tackle and fbs that are constantly out of position.
    Everton must be quaking in their boots

11. Mattj78

Whatever the formation play 2 up top!!!!!

12. Unfortunately, that could leave us too open to attack. Modern formations requires the no. 10 to play slightly behind Kane, but to perform a link role with him and our midfield!

13. big fran Guest

So one cm and three wingers. Interesting.

14. big fran Guest

If spurs had played all three games 442 this season we would be currently bottom with zero points. Fact. Anyone who doesn't know or understand this is clueless. Tell me one top team in Europe that is currently playing 442 with success.

15. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

4-3-1-2
    Lloris
    Walker Dier Jan Rose
    Alli Toby Dembele
    Eriksen
    Son Kane

If we are determined to play without wingers and depend on WBs then we want three in the middle, and considering most play into the oppositions half comes from the FBs, having three in the middle also helps to nulify and break up the oppositions momentum, altho at this moment we are a soft touch for any team looking for a bit of space with a ball over the top out wide. Alli looks like he's got goals in him and hopefully is our box2box and with a bit of support Harry might net a few himself.

16. Mattj78

Where is N'Jie? Is he injured? Shocking team selection. That is a team to try and draw not win.

17. Mattj78

Henry has just made the very point I keep making. Levy has sold ALL of out best players and replaced with them nowhere near good enough replacements.
    It is simply not good enough and how some people can defend Levy year after year is just beyond me. The amount we spent after bale left and the amount we have so far recouped is nothing short of a disgrace.

Felon82 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button