Team News and Expected Lineup v Gillingham

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by dnoll5, September 20, 2016.

Share This Page

1. dnoll5

dnoll5 Member

It’s League Cup time, and with the terrible news that Harry Kane is out for what looks to be an extended time, Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino has some squad rotating to do. We all knew that this tie against the mid-table League One side would be entirely different from the side that beat Sunderland and will take on Middlesbrough, but the news of Kane and the late substitutions of Mousa Dembele and Eric Dier on Sunday have called for a full on change. So while we’re changing, let’s make it clear that Tottenham strong at all levels of the team.

The first question is at striker. Vincent Janssen looks to be our fill-in for Kane and he will have plenty of games in front of him both in the Premiership and the Champions League. I see no reason risk him at all in this competition. Same for Heung Min Son. Sonny can provide some bench depth, but he should only get game time out of pure desperation.

Youngster Shayon Harrison would be the likely replacement at forward except that Poch has said that the young striker is injured. That leaves 17 year old phenom Marcus Edwards as a likely candidate even though he just finished 90 minutes in a U-23 game. Let’s see what he can do in 90 minutes against a League One team.

As for the rest of the team, it would be a joy to see the youth system at work in this match, and the midfield is stocked full. Josh Onomah is a lock to start. Harry Winks should start in the midfield with Onomah. Tom Carroll and Georges-Kevin N’Koudou should also feature, but the rest is guesswork. Poch will have to be really careful with the squad as Boro and a trip to Russia loom. If these guys can’t beat Gillingham, we aren’t as far along as I thought. Plus, N’Koudou could slide up to forward and spell Edwards if he tires after a long week.

This means that a ‘regular” would have to play at least some minutes as a starter and likely as a sub. Poch might use some regular first teamers as subs here, but the likes of Christian Eriksen, Erik Lamela, Moussa Sissoko, Dele Alli, Son, and Victor Wanyama should be used sparingly- 30-45 minutes for whoever is used whether they start or come off the bench.

As for the defense, Cameron Carter-Vickers should get in the starting XI and the addition of Kevin Wimmer would be great to see. Kieran Trippier is a lock to start as Kyle Walker is too valuable to run out there in a match where we should win handily. Who starts at left back is a great guess, but if Ben Davies starts, it can only mean that Danny Rose is on the road to recovery.

Preferred XI: Vorm; Davies, Wimmer, Carter-Vickers, Trippier; Wanyama, Winks, N’Koudou, Carroll, Onomah; Edwards.

2. Big fran Guest

I go vorm trippier Davies wimmer Vickers winks Carroll onomah lamela eriksen janssen.
    Hopeful for a couple of goals from janssen and see the introduction of GKN and Marcus Edwards.

3. Spiderneil New Member

Vorm
    Trippier CCV Wimmer Davies
    Lamela Onomah Sissoko Winks
    Edwards
    Harrison

Sub in GKN/Son/Janssen for some game time

4. Spurporter Well-Known Member

5. burnt Guest

Looking forward to seeing the young guns in action , tough call with Jansen I.m.o , last thing you want is for him to get injured in our situation , but he needs games and he needs a goal or two , damned if you do and damned if you don't ... Any news on the others who limped out on Sunday I wonder , hopefully nothing else too serious but didn't look good for a couple of them .... C.O.Y.S .....

6. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

The kids done good tonight. Thrilled to see the continuing progress of our young guns. Onomah was superb. Good result and yet more reasons to be optimistic for our long term future!!

Spurporter likes this.
  7. Big Fran Guest

Must admit I wasn't all that impressed with onomah and don't rate him from what I've seen so far but plenty of time on his side yet given his age. I think maybe a little too leggy to play out wide and could maybe made into a marauding centre mid similar to a toure or pogba. Winks impressed me very much and seemed to take the impetus up in midfield rather than Carroll despite his seniority over harry who dropped deep taking the ball off the back five dictating deep with incisive passing. Carroll for me even though he's signed a new deal will remain back up to the back up if you follow me. Vickers steady as a rock but bigger tests ahead v more mobile quicker CFs but remains a massive talent as is Edwards with a fantastic cameo nearly capped with a marvellous goal from the impish youngster who could have passed as mascot lol...
    How fast was GKN by the way wow.. Worked hard also from the off and looked tidy wearing the no 14 of a certain Thierry Henry hopefully be a good omen for us starting from inside left.
    Going into Saturday I don't think Kane's all round hold up, link up and work rate will be missed that much as janssen fits that bill perfectly but hope he can add the goals to follow up on his account now being opened last night and what HK had been lacking despite his general play.
    Future looks bright ...Coys.

Felon82 and Mattj78 like this.
  8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Good rotation, good performance, good result.
    Not one for over hyping our younger players but liked what i saw from winks last night, id like to see 1 or 2 of these talents introduced v lesser opponents in the prem from time to time to help them settle into the side and level (fergie used to do it at Utd brilliantly that way if there were injuries etc a youngster could step in and not seem like a rabbit in head lights.)
    Poor Janssen works his socks off but it almost seems Soldado has cursed the no9 shirt at times.

9. burnt Guest

Was an impressive performance from the young guns , opposition wasn't up to much to be fair but a nice introduction by some promising players and it will be interesting to see how their careers move on from here .... Certainly gives a bit more depth to the squad and as Felon says , it would be nice to see them given a chance at the right time throughout the season ... A good run in the cups would be a good way for them to get more games , it won't be easy for them to break into our League team ... And of course , when you're looking for a good old run in the cup , a nice draw helps , Liverpool away , lol couldn't get much more difficult at the moment .. Will be interesting to see what team Poch picks for that one , will he go with a bit more experience or will he stick with them and give them their chance ..... Time will tell ... C.O.Y.S ....

10. Big Fran Guest

I'd agree also that be nice to see winks get half an hour or so Saturday result permitting of course and also like to see Vickers with a start maybe at home v lesser opposition.
    V Liverpool something like vorm tripps Vickers wimmer Davies winks wanyama sissoko lamela eriksen Kane/Jansen be good to go.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button