Team news and expected line up vs Monaco - 01/10/2015

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by dnoll5, September 30, 2015.

Share This Page

1. dnoll5

dnoll5 Member

Spurs are off to a great start in the Europa League (they’ve played the group’s minnow, but still) and now have a real test on their hands. AS Monaco are a team with great ambition, so this fixture might be the toughest of them all.

Team

Clearly the Côte d’Azur side are the cream of the crop as far as opponents go, having missed out on Champions League qualification after falling to a strong Valencia side in the last playoff round. AS Monaco are a shockingly different side this year than the team that beat Arsenal (couldn’t help it) in the round of 16 and took Juventus to the brink in the Champions League quarterfinals last year. Gone are Dimitar Berbatov, Anthony Martial, and Geoffrey Kondogbia among others.

But Monaco have reinforced and will be anxious to get back to Europe’s elite competition again. They can do that by finishing first or second in France or by winning the Europa League, and it looks like they are building the squad to do both. They have added midfielder Bernardo Silva from Benfica on a permanent deal and have secured the services of Stephan El Shaarawy from AC Milan and Fabio Coentrão from Real Madrid on loan. João Moutinho, Andrea Raggi, and Ricardo Carvalho are notable names that remain in the squad.

Last Season

AS Monaco sputtered out of the gates last season and therefore finished third in France behind Paris SG and Lyon. Thus, they had to qualify for the Champions League and were promptly dispatched by Valencia. As stated above, they have an abundance of talent and will look to improve on their third place finish of a year ago. Look for them to do just that as they have bolstered their squad while rivals Lyon, Marseille, St. Etienne, Lille, Nantes, and Bordeaux haven’t.

Stade Louis II

Perhaps no stadium in all of Europe is more picturesque than the Stade Louis II. It is nestled right along the Mediterranean, between the sea and mountains. If you’ve been there, you know. Just gorgeous.

But while AS Monaco will be a formidable opponent, their arena is far from an intimidating fortress. Sparse home crowds are the norm in the principality, and a large contingent from London would make things easier on Spurs. It’s a quick 30-minute bus ride from Nice, so if there is a game to take a holiday, this one could be it. Hopefully we’ll see a good deal of support from London there on Thursday.

Quotes from the Players and Coaches

Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld on the team mentality after City: “We don't have to dream too much, we stay with two feet on the ground, work hard and we know we have a young, talented group of players. If we work hard and we do everything we have to do then we have the quality to make the difference."

Monaco boss Leonardo Jardim on his team’s recent woes: "Right now, my team scores more but concedes more, too. Collectively, we haven't been able to keep the lead on three occasions”

Team News

Ryan Mason and Mousa Dembélé are possible and could be returning for Tottenham. Nabil Bentaleb is still a doubt.
    Heung-Min Son suffered a foot injury against Man City.

Probable Starting XI

Spurs will make some changes to the team that dismantled City on the weekend, especially with an important fixture with Swansea on the weekend. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of the biggest contributors sat this one out until the late period of the game where they could have immediate and important impact.

Lloris; Trippier, Wimmer, Vertonghen, Rose; Dembélé, Mason, Townsend, Chadli, Clinton, Kane

This is a massive game that could break in any direction. For me, if Spurs win, they’ve virtually locked up the group, but a draw isn’t a bad result either. Getting out of the principality with something will go a long way toward winning the group.

Spurporter likes this.
  2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

A proper European tie!

Looking forward to this hopefully we dont tinker too much with the team, we need to build on the Citeh performance to gain momentum and consistency, to drastically alter something that finally clicked would be madness IMO.

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. Acton_Spur Guest

I think the ref might be having words if Poch tries to field 12 !! My team for Monaco:

Vorm
    Trippier Aldeweireld Simmer Rose
    Dembele Mason
    N'Jie Chadli Townsend
    Son

COYS !

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. big fran Guest

Don't see this as a must win really. Always think if u can win your home games plus a point on road will qualify. I Do not expect wimmer who has impressed me to start too many games alongside fellow left sider JV. I think Njie needs a start and this match is ideal v familiar opposition. Chadli may find himself down the pecking order now with the signing of son and the emergence of lamela so I'd expect him and Andros to push for a start. Kane needs resting IMO. Dembele and mason need game time.
    Lloris dier wimmer rose. Mason dembele Carroll. Chadli Townsend Njie. Hopefully no sight of fazio at all in the squad.. Kane eriksen lamela Alli as options for later on in the game if needed and one or two youngsters in Vickers Onomah winks maybe.

5. Spurporter Well-Known Member

That's only 10!! I think Fazio will start, no matter how terrible last time was he. MP has to have second CD pair set in Wimmer-Fazio. Lloris, will play, I agree. It's next to home for him. Kane to rest. Son will be in London.

Lloris
    Trippier-Fazio-Wimmer-Rose
    Carroll-Mason
    Townsend-Dembele-Eriksen
    Clinton

6. dnoll5

dnoll5 Member

This Monaco team is stronger than either team that Arsenal has lost to in the Champions League so our depth will certainly be tested. I think Monaco will really try to win this game and Spurs could certainly catch them on the break. In my opinion, Spurs should send out a really pacey side.

7. johnnyhrvat Guest

I can see the 'minnows', as you call Qarabag, grabiing their home 9 points, as the three European teams will send their youth teams to Baku.
    That means we could do with taking at least a point. I would play a defensive line up with Clinton and Townsend up front to hit them quickly on the break.

8. big fran Guest

Yeah left trippier out!!

9. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Son is injured

10. Rooster20 New Member

Son, Mason and Dembele are out.

Llorris
    Trippier Toby Wimmer Rose
    Alli Dier
    Townsend Carroll Chadli
    Clinton

11. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Actually quite excited about tonights Europa lg game for once lets hope we put in a performance, a win would be excellent!

12. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Even Plough lane had a better atmosphere!!!!

Rooster20 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button