Team news and expected line up against West Brom - 21/09/2014

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by James McC, September 20, 2014.

Share This Page

1. James McC

James McC Member

Twitter:
    JMcCarthyLIVE
    Alan Irvine’s West Bromwich Albion visit White Hart Lane this weekend as one of only 5 teams without a win so far in this season’s Premier League.

The Baggies are feeling sorry for themselves down in 19th place, held above the dreaded bottom spot only thanks to Newcastles -6 goal difference.

Meanwhile Spurs have travelled over 2,100 miles back to N17 following the midweek bore-score-draw away at Partizan Belgrade, where the side were subject to an intense atmosphere and the club experienced sickening anti-Semitism.

Mauricio Pochettino’s side are without a win in their last two thanks to last week’s 2-2 draw away at Sunderland, with Christian Eriksen and Nacer Chadli striking at the Stadium of Light. They will be desperate to make amends for their last home performance, a 3-0 loss to Liverpool.

Team News

Andros Townsend is the only casualty from the midweek clash with Partizan, where Hugo Lloris criticised the pitch in our opening Europa League game.

Townsend suffered an upper-leg injury which is set to see him miss the visit of Albion this weekend.

Meanwhile, Kyle Walker remains unavailable as he continues his rehabilitation from the injury which saw him miss a large chunk of last season as well as the world cup, so Eric Dier is expected to fill back in having sat out on Thursday.

Benjamin Stambouli impressed in his cameo at Sunderland and his 72-minute performance against Partizan, so could be pushing for a start next to Etienne Capoue, while fellow debutant Federico Fazio also put in a decent shout for a starting place.

What They Said

'Andros has a problem with his leg,' said Pochettino after the game. 'It could be his glute, and Friday we'll know if he's available or not.'

'It was Fazio's first game, like Stambouli, and they play for the first time. It's always difficult to make your debut but I'm happy with the performance.'

Meanwhile, Harry Kane – who scored in this fixture last year in our 3-3 draw at the Hawthorns – is hopeful that the Spurs boys can emerge successful. That is, dispite the talent of fellow England u21 striker Saido Berahino.

“He’s a good player, he scores goals and is a good finisher,” said Harry. “I’m sure he’ll be a threat for them but we’ve got good players to deal with that and we’ll be looking for the three points on Sunday.”

"Hopefully we can do that and put in a good performance.

“I’ll tell the other players anything I can about him that will help the team but we know what we’ll be up against and what to expect. We want to get three points on Sunday and take momentum into the game against Nottingham Forest next week too.”

Expected line up
    Lloris; Dier, Kaboul, Chiriches, Rose; Capoue, Dembélé; Lamela, Chadli, Eriksen; Adebayor

2. big fran Guest

I go spurs to sneak this 2-1. Lloris naughton kaboul vertonghen rose dembele capoue eriksen chadli lamela adebayor..

Whereas my side would be lloris naughton dier verts rose dembele eriksen lennon lamela adebayor soldado in a 442 v such poor opposition at home

3. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I would like to see a fast paced attacking display this afternoon. One thing that Spurs must learn is to kill teams off and not sit back once they have a lead. Against Sunderland, we were very quick out of the blocks, but then slowed the game down far too much, something that caused Southampton to drop points last season.
    West Brom are a poor team who will be fighting relegation this season and if you do want to try and get into the top four, then these are games we simply must win.

4. paul Guest

I know some people may disagree, but I seriously think the problem spurs have is that our squad is too big. For example, when Harry was in charge, our midfield was basically set in stone. Parker, Modric, Van Der Vart, Bale and Lennon, they had the confidence of the manager and it helped their performances.

5. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Fazio and Stambouli not even in the squad???? Chiriches starting??? Very odd. Very, very strange indeed.

6. burnt Guest

All joking aside , this is brutal stuff .. Jeez give us something lads , this is the same turgid s**t we,be been watching for 18 months ..Change something poch .. Do something ..

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. burnt Guest

Welcome to Tottenham poch .. now ye see the real spurs .. Could write an essay on that shambles but what's the point .. Its all been said + written before .. Shambles from the team selection onwards ..

We more or less used 2 diff teams in space of a rewards days & managed a grand total of 1 , yes 1 shot on target in more than 180 mins of football , against 2 damn ordinary teams .. look at what Liverpool did to us a few weeks back , the only decent side we,ve played this season , and subsequent games have shown that they,re not at it at all this season , yet anyway .. This is bad lads .. Going to take some turning around im afraid .. Sick ..

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button