Spurs v Madrid player ratings

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, November 2, 2017.

Share This Page

1. bigfran

bigfran Member

[​IMG]
    Spurs cruise into knockout stages.

In what was a supposed group of death Spurs have qualified with two games to spare and look favourite to top the group for a favourable draw.
    It was almost comfortable until it got a little somewhat "Spursy" once Kane went off and conceded soon after but we stood firm and were good value for the win. Would have liked to have taken them to the cleaners but hey ho this is the European champs just dismantled.
    Here are my ratings feel free to disagree.

Lloris 8.
    Relatively quiet night for the skipper but made some decent long range saves,took the pressure off when coming for crosses and footwork exemplary.

Trippier 9.
    One of his best games for Spurs thus far defensively sound and put two fantastic volleyed crosses in one of which was an assist.

Jan 9.
    The Belgian was absolutely fantastic on the night especially when things got a little rocky the last 20mins. Some great tackles blocks and interceptions..

Davies 8.
    Turned into a real steady Eddie and although he didn't offer much going forward last night didn't put a foot wrong at the back. Defends the far post really well and senses danger. Can't see a way in for Danny Rose such as the Welshman is performing.

Toby 7.
    Was very concerned when he pulled up but didn't make a difference on the night. We should be able to cover his absence but hopefully its not long term.

Dier. 8
    Switched from centre mid to centre half with ease and was solid and composed in both positions.

Sanchez 7
    Was good to have his pace added to the back 3 that got exposed last week v Man Utd. Very good on the ball and read the game well. On occasions he needs to get touch tight when crosses come in.

Winks. 8
    Seems to be getting better and better. Was a very mature performance against some of the world's best. He's composed and so confident in his own ability and to receive the ball in tight area's under pressure. Key pass for one of the goals too.

Eriksen. 8
    Much better than his last outing worked hard looked after the ball well and got a deserved goal.

Alli 9.
    Back to somewhere near his best and caused havoc in between the lines for Madrid. Be gutted no to get an hatrick against the world's best but has seven goals already in a quiet start by his standards.

Kane 8.
    Not sure if he was not fully fit or was worried over his hamstring wasn't as mobile as normal. Played a key role in leading the line and you could see Ramos and Nacho were nervous over his presence. Great assist for Eriksens goal. Gutted he didn't add to his five CL goals already especially against Madrid.

Sissoko 6.
    OK performance but was surprised he was introduced rather than Dembele. Can only presume he's not fully fit. Wasted another goal opportunity.

Dembele 6
    Not much time to impact but steadied the ship a little.

Llorente 6.
    Again offered nothing. Too slow and static. Missed a great chance.

Last edited: November 2, 2017
    Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  2. ard1 Guest

to me you're 100% corret... i'd say JVertongen is our player of the season and mom last night

3. CharlesCrawford New Member

Disagree on Llorente. He was brought on in good part to help defend Madrid corners. As he did with great aplomb in the closing minutes.

4. barney Guest

I've said on other sites that I liken Harry Winks to the young Steve Perryman when he came into the spurs team I think we have a star in the making hopefully

5. Chris #2. Guest

+1, ratings are spot on. Also, Verts has been great the last few games - I agree.

6. johnnyhrvat Guest

Pretty much agree with the ratings. I think we missed Trippier against manure - Aurier and Sissoko together was like having one's right arm in a sling.
    A good comment in the Guardian today - 'football is sometimes not about trophies, but about the moment. I think last night would top any League Cup final win.
    You forgot Poch - it has to be a '10'.

7. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Well bigfran such a great all round team performance there is little to disagree with....apart from a 6 for Sissoko.
    I watch him closely, always. He clearly has Poch on his side, otherwise he wouldn't have been first change when Dier moved into the back 3, but by any criteria, he is shite. He's not good enough. Missed another sitter with an air shot. Is it me or does he not look like a decent footballer......I'm interested to hear opinions on him.....

burnt likes this.
  8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

So we put Madrid to the Sword last night!

A great dominant Performance.

Yet we still have Fans that say we can't win trophies or compete with Man Utd/Chelsea/City etc?

What it comes down to is the want/drive to win when you have enough quality, last night we showed that.

Winks is decent he's no world beater again Spurs fans get carried away, thought we instantly invited more pressure on us when Kane was swapped for the Cart Horse as there was no need to be wary anymore at the back for Madrid.

9. burnt Well-Known Member

I found this a really strange game because we just beat Real Madrid 3 - 1 and played some great stuff at times but also it shouldn't mask over what we did wrong either and for me we did plenty wrong ... Our selfishness and lack of awareness in the final third was so frustrating to watch , luckily for them I might add ... Sissoko was back to his best in terms of being shite and Dembele was like a raging bull when he came on , very lucky not to see red ... Crazy stuff from him ..

Our defending can be so narrow at times , even with a flat 5 the space we were giving their fullbacks was suicidal but luckily for us and unlike them they didn't utilise it at all ... We handled it fairly well overall , up until Harry went off and they scored ... Got a bit hairy for a while then , especially with the West Ham game still on the mind but we got through it .. It was Real Madrid so even on a bad day for them you're going to be under the kosh for periods of the game ..

Toby getting injured is a nightmare , and there's talk today that Hugo is injured aswell ... Not good ... Glad to see an international break coming for a change , give the lads a couple of weeks and see where we are then ... C.O.Y.S ....

10. burnt Well-Known Member

Well he was so bad last year the only way was up really ... At least he's shown he can play a wee bit this season , in fairness he's been decent in a few games but he was starting from a really low base so the fact he'd shown he could actually play football at all was something ... Was back to his shite best last night unfortunately ... Look maybe he needs to play center mid full stop , I don't think Dier or Wanyama would be too impressive in the final third either but Sissoko's not one of them either is he ...

Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  11. Spurporter Well-Known Member

This will last the lifetime!
    10.0 to all. (N/A for subs). Winks was better than Modrich. Luka also didn't have the secondary assist Harry had (first goal).
    This was the best football I have seen from Spurs. 30+ years I was following.
    COYS!!!!

Last edited: November 2, 2017
    Bazza47 likes this.
  12. Dace Member

Give the team a 10 from me..
    Fantastic result and effort.
    Hope it continues.

Bazza47 likes this.
  13. Bazza47

you're not wrong bigfran .......... and we couldn't trust him in the holding role. I guess I hope, just hope, that there he might just thing he's in a French shirt and takes on everybody in a powerful run before hammering it into the roof of the net.....I wish.

burnt likes this.
  14. Bazza47

Whilst I saw some of the Double side, the games were few and far between, and I for one can't remember a better Team in the Lilywhite of Tottenham Hotspur.

burnt and Nomadico like this.
  15. Bazza47

Moussa looked so slow and how he stayed on the park is beyond me. I laughed it off as we were 3 up, but on another night............

burnt likes this.
  16. Pickleman1967

Pickleman1967 Member

A tremendous team performance, Pep can shove his "Harry Kane team" where the sun doesn't shine. I would agree with the ratings, but damn we needed Alli to fire this season and it seems he saved it up for this game. Like most fans in Lily White I'd have happily taken a draw; a pretty emphatic win was brilliant, surely now we can bury this "Wembley hoodoo" ****.

I was gutted to see Alderweireld go off, make no mistake he is a rock in the centre of our defence, and Llloris is reportedly out for two weeks as well. I think Vorm is decent, but he doesn't instil the same confidence between the sticks as Hugo. Just hoping they are both available after the international break.

Lets hope Sunday is not "after the Lord Mayor's show", lets stuff Palace and keep the title (or at least top four) contention on track. COYS.

Bazza47 and burnt like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button