Spurs show they are the real deal- PLAYER RATINGS: Spurs 2-0 Man City

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, October 2, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Although unbeaten in the league, Spurs have been questioned about whether they can challenge for the title this season. Today the manager and the players resoundingly answered that question with a YES!
    If you want to see how to beat a top team like Manchester City, Spurs showed everyone how it is done today.

Lloris - 7: Incredibly had very little to do but his distribution is getting worse and could cause us problems. Needs to work on this part of the game but still one of the very best.

Walker - 8: Superb performance today. Good defending, great attacking play and assured with the ball.

Alderweireld - 8: Assured as ever. Toby really is one of our finest signings over the last few years and surely a future captain.

Vertonghen - 8: I have been far from convinced with his performances this season but today he was the real deal. He was calm and confident and like the Vertonghen we know he can be. Excellent performance.

Rose - 9: Magnificent. Coming back from injury he showed exactly why Davies can only be a cover player for him. Storming performance.

Wanyama - 9.5!!!: Okay, so you can't give half points but do I care!? Absolutely not! Wanyama was awesome today. He covered so much ground, got forward, supported the attack and the defence and was just brilliant. No other word. Oh except awesome.

Alli - 8: Lovely finish for the goal and played well. Nothing fancy but did his job well and the second goal sealed it as it turned out.

Lamela - 7: Although it was a solid performance, his penalty was awful. If you are going to take the penalty when Son is after taking it, you have to take a better penalty than that. Perfect height for the keeper and lacking in pace. He also dived into a couple of challenges that were reckless and he has to be more careful.

Sissoko - 7: played well alongside Wanyama and I thought he was more convincing today than in any of his other appearances for Spurs.

Eriksen - 8
    : Looked hungry from the start. His passing was sublime and he worked the game to his advantage. A playmakers performance.

Son - 8: Son looks quick, hungry and the fact he is 2 footed makes defenders struggle to deal with him. No goal today but another strong performance and I'm sure he and Lamela will be having a quiet chat about the penalty.

Subs:

Dier - N/A
    N'Koudou - N/A
    Janssen - N/A
    : I was surprised he didn't start as I didn't feel he had played poorly but the manager got it spot on. My only concern would be how this will affect his confidence.

At least I remembered all 11 players today!!! I'm not going to look for negatives because for me, this was a superb performance. After 34 years of supporting Spurs, I am used to feeling nervous when we are 2 nil up but today I really didn't feel nervous. Going forward we were great, secure at the back and in midfield dominant. City missed De Bruyne today but you simply cannot take anything away from how brilliant Spurs were today.

As ever , come on you Spurs!!!!

2. Cheshuntboy Guest

In view of my frequently-expressed doubts about Pochettino, I'm thinking about recipes for humble pie (but I won't be eating it until the season finishes with something in the trophy cabinet!).

Bazza47, Felon82 and Mattj78 like this.
  3. bruski

bruski Active Member

Outstanding....that's it, bloody outstanding!!
    Maybe Talksport et al will start talking about us as contenders and not as a second rate team...and that includes MOTD! Put us on first for a change!!
    COYS!!

Bazza47 and Mattj78 like this.
  4. papillon Guest

Wanyama was AWESOME. I'd give him a 10 he was that good.

Mattj78 and Bazza47 like this.
  5. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

Lamela didn't deserve 7. Too fancy, and gives the ball away. I looked away for his penalty just knowing he'd miss. Son, Ali, or Eriksen should've taken it. I let him off because we won.

6. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Great Team performance bossed it from the off, great energy, commitment and purpose in our play.
    Wouldve been perfect if Coco the clown didnt rear his ugly head.

Mattj78, Bazza47 and Deggsy56 like this.
  7. burnt Guest

No Kane , no Dembele , no problem , who'd have predicted that ... Should be a big confidence boosting performance , hopefully they won't get carried away because the fact is City were no great shakes against a poor Celtic or an ordinary Swansea last week either .... Nice going into an international break after a result like that , a tough run of games coming up after so hopefully no sh1ty injuries while they're away ... Onwards and upwards hopefully .... C.O.Y.S ......

8. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

What a performancce, start to finish. Great stamina in the boys, Pochettino's tactics today were outstanding. Shout out to Vertonghen, he's form has been a bit inconsistent thus far but today; he was class...few outstanding blocks at the end there and that tackle on Aguero in the box was sublime. Our defense was the cornerstone of our success last season, and this season it looks to be the same. Great to have Rose back....It allows him and Walker to stretch the field and both were great going forward. To get all 3 points without Kane, Dembele, Dier (for most of the game)...shows how much Depth we have in the squad. We can certainly challenge for all competitions.

COYS!!!

9. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

First things first. A hugely professional, all round team performance, with the result never in doubt.

Concerns. I lost count of how many times Hugo's distribution put players under pressure. Diabolical. Lamela is just not playing well enough, gives away needless fouls and as for the penalty, I could have done better than that, no doubt.

Pluses. So may outstanding performances, such team work - you would never have thought they went to Moscow a few days ago. To a man Toby, Jan, Danny, Karl, Victor were awesome.

Overall. This was our best team performance since we beat them at their place last season. It was a pleasure to watch. Delightful.

COYS.

Mattj78 likes this.
  10. Mick

Mick Member

Agree fantastic team performance , only negative Hugo's distribution and penalty miss. Wanyama outstanding and Sissoko also showed why we bought him. Cannot believe how well we played without Dembele, Harry and Dier

Bazza47 likes this.
  11. Bazza47

What a good performance Matt wasn't it. Great to watch. I agree with all of your scores, bar Lamela. He worries me and as for arguing over the penalty. What was that all about.

Mattj78 likes this.
  12. roy scorer New Member

Very good performance today.
    However, the weakest link at the back turned in a sterling performance -Jan verts.
    I think City did not do enough to test the boys today but nonetheless our boys did not give them the chance /opportunity to play. We were hungry and in their face but also moved the ball at pace today.
    Unfair to single out a certain player since all the boys really put in a shift today. Lets try and emulate this performance for just another +- 20 league weekends in order that we Spurs fans celebrate the league title despite the big brass being in the fight(MC>MU<ARS>POOL>CHel). I prefer to win it when these big u's are fighting.
    Go you Spurs- Roy

Mattj78 likes this.
  13. Dace Member

Thought the team were awesome today.
    Much better with a faster striker like Son upfront.

Mattj78 likes this.
  14. johnnyhrvat Guest

Not sure that Toby ever puts in a performance that should be rated below a '9'. He just makes it look so easy though and lets other players get all the glory.
    Should some fans now reflect on their criticism of the last transfer window?

Mattj78 likes this.
  15. dnoll5

dnoll5 Member

So many things to take away from this one, but the main point is that Poch knew how to deal with a Pep team, and he destroyed their ability to do anything with the relentless pressure. Many of the biggest clubs are figuring this out- just check out Bayern's performances in the latter stages of the UCL under Pep as proof. But few get it as spot on as Poch did. Even fewer can implement it efficiently because of a deficiency somewhere in the squad. Not a problem at Tottenham at the moment.

I seem to remember those great Barcelona teams pressuring to get the ball back far more than City did yesterday. Granted, Xavi, Iniesta, and Messi could (still can) boss anyone around, but that tireless work to get the ball back immediately isn't there in City at the moment. It's there for Spurs.

Another note: Many of you are hard on Lamela, and I agree this wasn't his best performance, but he is a tireless pursuer of the ball and helped back whenever necessary. Sure, I would've liked to see Chris take the penalty, but it would be hard to argue that anyone works harder than Erik on a game by game basis, and guys like that deserve a goal every now and then.

Bazza47 and Remy Uwilin like this.
  16. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

I'd completely agree with you, there are too many positives from this experience; the most important being how everyone worked together as a team, Lamela played a big role in that. This kid keeps improving every year, one thing we can never fault him on is his tireless energy going forward and helping back on defense.

I saw someone mentioned that Jan was a weak link in the game today as well; I have no idea which game they were watching. As a whole, our defense was very solid today. Understandably De Bruyne not being available didn't fully test how good our defense was, nevertheless the boys all were class!

dnoll5 and Mattj78 like this.
  17. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Best Spurs performance EVER.
    Anyone would like to challenge? Please do. It is more than 134 years...
    Everyone deserves 10, except for Lamela who missed the Penalty kick..

18. Bazza47

I like the boldness of your post. Best ever...mmmm.
    I remember the days when Jimmy Greaves was in his heyday.....5-1 beating of Manure for example. That said as team performances go you won't get many challenges.

Mattj78 and Spurporter like this.
  19. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I can drop individual ratings after little thinking, but team deservers 10. I follow on and off since Ardiles arrival in 1978. The original Argentinian.

Mattj78 likes this.
  20. Bazza47

Agreed.

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button