Spurs off to Wembley: Best quotes from manager, players, fans

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by GarethMcKnight, January 29, 2015.

Share This Page

1. GarethMcKnight

GarethMcKnight Member

It was more than a tad nail-biting and Spurs rode their luck to some extent, but a 2-2 draw against Sheffield United last night at Bramall Lane was good enough to see the club with a date at Wembley!

Mauricio Pochettino’s men will face Chelsea in the Capital One Cup final, with a chance to pick up the club’s first piece of silverware since 2008.

Christian Eriksen was the hero on the night, with the mercurial Danish playmaker scoring both of our goals to get the job done.
    The former Ajax man showed incredible composure to score his second and admitted he can’t wait for the final.
    “I just wanted to get it on target and luckily it went in,”Eriksen told the club’s official website.
    “It was a really nice feeling. It’s after you score that you get all the thoughts that we’ll be at Wembley next.
    “We started well, fought hard and got ourselves in a good position but they came back and put us under a lot of pressure.
    “But we've showed that we can play under pressure and we did it again - it’s not the first time we’ve scored in the last minute!
    “I’m really happy and excited to play at Wembley, happy to score twice and delighted we’re on our way to the final.”

Manager Pochettino was brave in continuing with under-fire goalkeeper Michel Vorm, and stated in the game’s aftermath that we deserved our place in the final.
    "I am very happy - happy for our players because they deserved it. It has been a big effort in all competitions, in all games, since the beginning of the season,”the Argentine said after the game.
    "I think that if we analyse the two games, the first and the second leg, I think we deserve to be in the final. But in football you need to kill - this is a lesson for us. When you create a lot of chances you need to kill.
    "Afterwards the game changed and sometimes it happens, what we saw today.”

Kyle Walker was playing against his former club and admitted via the club’s official Twitter account that Spurs made the job hard for themselves.
    “I wanted to get to Wembley with #THFC and we're there. We did it the hard way.”

Jan Vertonghen is also looking forward to facing London rivals Chelsea again and has out 5-3 drubbing of the current Premier League leaders in mind.

“We're looking forward to Wembley and hopefully we can beat them like we did at WHL!”

Michel Vorm and Ben Davies also took to Twitter to express their delight with short messages.

Former Spurs goalkeeper Ray Clemence even got in on the act, praising Spurs’ attacking players on Twitter.
    “Looked like extra time then brilliant pass @hkane28 and calm finish by Eriksen #Wembley”

The White Hart Lane faithful have taken to Twitter to express their delight, optimism and pride in the side’s efforts, with some of the best tweets below.

FYI Man City V Sunderland final both clubs will receive an allocation of approximately 31,500 tickets…..

Jake Waloschek
    Frantically checking my @SpursOfficial loyalty points, desperate to go to another Wembley final...2008 lives long in the memory #COYS

Nick Gill
    Harry Kane for Prime minister/president/king #COYS

Maria Lopeza
    Trophy over top 4 anyday #COYS

Stephen Wheeler
    SPUUURRRSSSS ARE ON THEIR WAY TO #WEMBLEY! Feels pretty sweet to be awake early for once - more time to bask! #COYS

Sarah Bassett
    I'm all kinda excited to face #CHEL53A again, but goodness they are gonna come at us guns blazing. #thfc #coys #SpursAreOnTheirWayToWembley

Stephen McGrath
    You can stick 4th place. REAL fans know it's all about the glory of trophies #gloryoverprofit #WeAreGoingToWembley #coys

Mark Nelson
    Excitement will be building until the final on March 1, but the focus must be on important Premier League games against West Brom, our unmentionable North London rivals and Liverpool in upcoming weeks; not to forget the Europa League clashes with Fiorentina.

To win a trophy would be a massive achievement this season and it is clear that the club is making progress. Some fans will naturally focus on the fact it was a tougher journey than it needed to be, but lets just enjoy the fact that we are off to Wembley. COYS!!!

stevethespur likes this.
  2. stevethespur Active Member

The Spurs tribe will once again gather for a wembley final ! Buy train tickets, hustle a tout, book a monday off ! Or sit among friends in a Spurs pub to watch us face the behemoth that is Chelski, its all good, if tinged with a little fear. We've done it before and can do it again ! Coys.

Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  3. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Should Poch have chosen Lloris for both games, we would be talking about how lucky Spurs were to get relatively weak inferior opponents on the way to Wembley. But our HC figured "Spurs way" very fast. COYS!!

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. The Blades keeper,

'I thought it was a cross'...

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button