Spurs improvement a myth

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, May 15, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Gareth Guest

Great season but the loss at Upton and draw with gooners. Sent my alarm bells ringing
    Simply our lack off depth cost us the title and 2nd . The teams gas tank has been running on just fumes at the end and losing dembele and alli wrecked our last few games.
    Mason was woefull in the game but him Carroll, Bentaleb and Chad all need to be sold they are ok players if 7 th is your teams ambition at start off season , but not good enough for top 4 club . And for f's sake we need a back up striker Harry can't be expected to carry whole load . Need a destroyer to back up Dier a top player to fill in for Demble( hope Saul rumours are true) and a winger last if if we can afford it ( Saul can do both )
    Either way if u told me we would challenge for title beat man city at home and away beat Man U at home , and get a champions league spot at the start off season I wouldn't believe it so pretty damn happy

2. Stevespur New Member

Think it was a good season and def would've snapped off the opportunity to finish third at the start of the year but clear signs that we just have a first team. Mason is awful. We've been able to play teams off the park because we simply outmuscled them with moussa dier and alli bossing the midfield. Without those 3 playing we haven't looked good all year.

Pochs done a great job but agree that he has some clear faults. Favouritism for Jan and no clear plan b if we can't overpower teams (seen at the loss to West Ham). Since jans come back we've defended awfully, after wimmer looked so solid the entire time.

Need a squad big time. Hopefully with champs league money levy might open his cheque book.

Huge respect for poch though. He's turned at least our first team into a really decent side that I think could beat anyone on its day.

All that aside, what a horrible day!

3. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Totally agree Feri. Just drained the energy from my body.

4. Bazza47

Thoughts......

I couldn't watch yesterday....feeds, highlights, interviews, now't.

3 from 12 was not too much to ask, as a thank you to us fans having followed the team through generations of pain. I've lauded your performances, but this was totally, totally unacceptable.

If you're listening lads I love Spurs to bits, but you let the fans down these last two weeks, and so badly.

I don't know what to make about the prospects for next season, in fact the thinness of the squad concerns me more than at this stage last season. Can DL and Poch help allay my fears.....mmm

COYS

Jonesy likes this.
  5. Music Muppet Guest

It's not the loosing but the hope that really hurts.
    I've watched Spurs for 45 years and this group of players have played at times some of the best football I've ever seen...but it's not enough without having a degree of intelligence and common sense to see that others are goading, or baiting and trying to get a reaction, which they did.
    True, at the start of the season, I would have been delighted at 3rd, but as the season has progressed and with 5 games to go, surely 2nd as we are seriously challenging for top spot, but no, a total capitulation and allowed the filth to "steal" 2nd spot. It's not the total emptiness in the pit of my stomach, the ugly silence over dinner last night as we all follow, the refusal to watch MOTD, listen to Talksport or Media of any kind, because you just want to block it all out. It's the hope that hurts most.
    COYS.

Jerry Shoolbred and Bazza47 like this.
  6. Dom K Guest

A good article and sums up totally that performance. They single-handledly destroyed all the good will in one foul swoop yesterday. It was truly shocking. I'd like to ask every single player, why it mattered so little to them, you all still had a job to do, that alone marks the level of unprofessionalism that exist within the ranks. Don't give me this nonsense that they played well till they lost the title, as Leicester had that won weeks back. the lack of pride displayed yesterday is galling.

We have almost qualified for the CL by default, we achieved 72 points under AVB and finished fifth. After witnessing the last four games. a CL outing will be reminiscent of watching a Dr Who episode as a kid for us fans. We have played good football at times, when we were allowed to do so, WBA stopped us playing, Chelsea got under our skin, and the other two games are not worth mentioning. Yesterday summed up perfectly all that is wrong with us, the old ways are still there and it will take a long time to get rid of this sour taste, are these players capable of restoring the trust, we shall have to see.

7. burnt Guest

Well it's not so long ago that Mason and Bentelab were being championed by some as our future midfield , now they don't even get a mention as cover for Dembele or Ali , now all of a sudden we don't have anybody good enough to cover these two .. You couldn't make this stuff up , oh sorry some people do make it up , as they're going along ...... Absolute poppycock if you ask me ........

Felon82 likes this.
  8. Bazza47

Burnt, if I watch the team week in week out, PL and EL, see the likes of Carroll, Chadli, Mason, Bentaleb, Fazio, Davies, I think I know in my heart of hearts that they are just not good enough.

We aspire to CL and rightly so, but have achieved 3rd, with a very thin squad, with no game changers off the bench, not one. When this season have I seen a sub change up the game......never.

We have a golden 10 1/2 and that's about it and whilst Hugo is a top keeper, Captain Fantastic he has not been on the run-in to this season's end.

I'm not changing my view or my tune. It now requires some early and positive purchases to make the squad credible for next season. We really did pay the price for the no-shows in the January window. We pushed the squad to its very limit and beyond, and finished up falling short of what we deserved, Runners Up and ahead of Arse N All. Somebody was to blame for that. We all know that. Perm any two from three....

This is/are not new views, just what sits in your head from watching Spurs these past 50 plus years. Time to dump a view or two, to ease the pain.

COYS

Jerry Shoolbred likes this.
  9. Big fran Guest

There have been some average performances soon poor ones any some great memorable ones. There was one embarrassing one in an entire whole season so not very spursy at all really eh? Forget about the league not being as strong as normal,or the failings of other sides nor how our points total would not guaranteed CL in seasons gone by.
    The team is by far and away we have seen in our premier league era. Now I think its taken as a given that we all agree that the failings at the death of a season in which we HAVE BEEN IN A TITLE RACE (read that again sounds nice yeah) are that the players that came in were not upto the task. If the club address that issue and keep our star players I see no reason why we cannot compete at that level again....
    Sissoko I agree would be a great addition with his pace,energy and versatility to play two or three positions. A right sided centre half, a goal scoring wide attacker sadio mane and a CF Laczarette would be fantastic acquisitions.

10. burnt Guest

Don't ever remember you championing either of them Bazza , wasn't firing that at you at all ... I heard more names being mentioned as cover to some of our midfielders ( which we all know we need and we always did ) but no mention of the cover we already have , lads that were being championed not so long ago by these same people ...

11. Josh B Guest

Endless amounts of negativity. I can't bear it. You support a team through thick and thin and if you don't want to support Spurs when Spurs are Spursy, go and support the scum over the road.

Yes, performances in recent weeks haven't been great. But there's obvious explanations for this - lack of appropriate cover that, as Felon said, disturbs the playstyle. This means that we either have to play first teamers in games that squad players could feature in, and when it gets to crunch time we have to throw away games.

I also don't buy the Chelsea argument. According to my dad, who's three times older than me, we didn't use to compete physically with big teams. The team showed fight, if not game management, away at Chelski, and I for one loved it. That's how you should go out, not like Everton this year. Better angry than pathetic.

HUGE step forwards have been made this year. The defence has, in large places, been heavily improved, with a significant positive goal difference for once! The football's been excellent at times, and lest we forget - this isn't Pochettino's squad, not really.

Of course, being a supporter and being a critic are not mutually exclusive. Lloris for me is overrated. Not bad, but overrated. I'd sell him IF we could get Jack Butland in from Stoke, big fan of the latter. Rose has shown vast improvement so is worth keeping for sure, Davies is average but whether we could replace him is debatable. I think we should sell Trippier or Walker, keep the other and bring in another RB. Trippier doesn't really fulfil a function and Walker doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.

Criticisms levied at Verts are warranted BUT you forget that him and Toby were immense for the first half of the season. Wimmer came in and did a great job so maybe could cover for Dier, but with CL next year I see him playing more league games anyway.

As for the midfield, no strength in depth but we knew that anyway. Mason, Bentaleb, Carroll won't be good enough. Need cover with similar playstyle to Dembele and Dier if we are to compete on several fronts next season.

Lamela I like; the boy loves football, loves the manager and loves his role. Eriksen is lightweight at times; his magic seems to have dissipated this season. Possibly worth moving on for funding. Alli needs no words, hes magic.

Kane needs cover. He's been shattered in recent weeks. We need someone like Shane Long, or even someone like Paloshi at Swansea or maybe even Mitrovic if he can learn to tackle.

We won't get the signings mentioned, but I have faith in Mitchell and the Black Box. Get us a net gain of 3/4 players and we'll be ready to.move forwards.

Bazza47 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button