Spurs announce third summer signing

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by James McC, July 31, 2014.

Share This Page

1. James McC

James McC Member

Twitter:
    JMcCarthyLIVE
    Mauricio Pochettino has further strengthened his squad for the new season by bringing in up-and-coming England international Eric Dier.

We reported earlier that the Sporting Lisbon star, known as “the new John Terry” was close to joining from the Portuguese side, however the club’s official Twitter feed has announced the signing as official.

Dier has scored once in his time in the Sporting Lisbon first team, making 31 appearances since making the step up from the B-team in 2012.

The 20-year-old has played for his country at every youth level since U18, making 5 appearances for the U21 side.

@SpursOfficial tweeted at just before 9PM..

“We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Sporting Lisbon for the transfer of Eric Dier, subject to a medical.”

The deal is supposedly worth £4million.

Welcome to Spurs, Eric Dier!

Mattj78 likes this.
  2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

If he plays bad, what price headlines of " oh dear!" or maybe even " calm down dear" after a red card!!!
    At least his price tag seems not too dear! (Sincere apologies for this)

3. big fran Guest

Think we still need a front line centre half in before the start of the season starts but there does seem to be a genuine shortage about especially prem league proven.. With Rodriguez now looking unlikely would like to see us step up
    Our interest in konopklanya what a player this boy is.. Both footed quick tricky can score and assist. Plays mainly from the left but also a great option as a no 10

Felon82 likes this.
  4. stevethespur Active Member

Yeah agree that a top centre back would be a huge boost to the squad. Lets hope kaboul can be fully fit this season as that would be like getting a new CB. A top quality stopper to partner a Verts that puts in100% and we'd be tough to beat. We had alot of signings last season and maybe those signings will contribute more, i always used to think that foreign players needed a season to aclimatise to the english game, but now your expected to do it in your first year. Soldado, Chadli, Eriksen, Vlad, Lamela, Pailinho etc should all be better this term after the experince of last term. Coys

5. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

They couldn't possibly be any worse really. I disagree with the rubbish about getting used to a foreign country. Bale had a dodgy start but was amazing after that. Football is football, being homesick is just a **** excuse.

Felon82 likes this.
  6. stevethespur Active Member

Ancelotti recently said that Bale would have an even better second season at Madrid after learning from last ! I think i'll go with Ancelottis wisdom. Coys

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. stevethespur Active Member

Been looking up Eric Dier on the net. He looks a fantastic prospect, sounds like Levy got around the 20 million by out clause by offering a bigger salary that cash strapped Lisbon were obligated to match but couldnt. Diers stats are amazing, hes a mixture of english aggression and portugese technique. Hes a big aggressive unit that could be just what we need. Coys.

Felon82, notnats and Mattj78 like this.
  8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Good purchase good bit of buisness, im still waiting for us to buy a couple of players that can influence the Big/Difficult games - the match winners ilk

9. Michael Guest

I absolutely agree that another CB could be brought in paving the way for one or two to be released. Chircheş I believe can do the job for us as he has the pace, passing ability, and one vs one cover that is required with our split back single pivot system. If another CB like Mussachio (sp?) is acquired then I can see both Kaboul and Dawson leave the club even though both are capable of doing a job for us. Kaboul has impressed slightly more than Dawson but is still finding his positional awareness a trouble spot in his game. He gets caught too far forward for his legs to make up the difference when the long ball is chipped over his head.

I would feel secure in challenging for a top four with only Dier as a signing. He provides depth and first team experience in Portugal which is more than we have with Vejlkovic (sp?). And he himself can be worthwhile in cup competition. His ceiling is very high.

Konoplyanka! After losing out on Greizmman(sp?) to "AtMad", which was disappointing as he could have combined with Eriksen and Lamela to set the EPL on fire. The guy I came back to is Yehven Konoplyanka. He is used primarily on the left for his club. Here at Spurs his game would flourish! He would have the freedom to move throughout the pitch switching sides to terrorize every fullback equally as much. It is so hard to get the ball off of him that he would draw so many free kicks that Eriksen would end up with the Golden Boot! I keed, I keed....but it would be just one of the many positives that he could bring to our offense. He scores goals and creates for others. In fact he scored 8 and created 23 chances in his domestic league last season. Against better competition he created 8 chances and scored 4.

This is by far a better return for a wide playmaker than we had last season. I am not counting Eriksen as a wide player because he wasn't.

Having a player like Konoplyanka would allow us to unlock a lot of defenses and we would not have to rely solely on our left back getting forward to put an off target cross into the box. The added dimensions to our offense would create a near complete offense IF Lamela can continue being a scoring threat as well. We are in fairly good shape going forward with the players we have. Unfortunately in this day and age of football we cannot afford to rest on our laurels. Lamela will be like a new signing but he hasn't had much experience against Premier League competition even though he has been with us for a year. Admittedly the time he had against that competition he was not impressive in the least. He physically appears like a new man adding a lot of strength. It will be a matter of his fighting spirit that will continue his progress as we all know he has the talent to put 12-15 balls in the net if not more. If he does become a scoring threat then it will be contagious to Soldado. If we can count on Eriksen to provide the same level of product he put out for us last year, then we can be a tough team.

Being a tough opponent is not the goal is it? The goal is to be a team that others CANNOT stop going forward. As much as I can't stand Chelski, the Puds, or the Arse'... they have had a few things in common that have given them the results that we MUST achieve. They all don't stop trying to improve their squad. To this end is why we should sign an offensive player this season. Konoplyanka is as good a player as any we can manage at this late date as 3 great targets have already been signed. Origi and Lukaku by our direct competition and Greizmman by AtMad. I don't think that Levy and Baldini are going to go for Bony but a player like Depay, Destro, Isco (on loan), or Konoplyanka would help us tremendously. I can't help to be envious of the offensive displays that the Puds and ManC's put out last year. Some of those games they were absolutely balling out of their heads!

The thing is...we have that same potential if we continue to improve and add another player that can give us some great performances.

If not for the sake of our offense, we should sign Konoplyanka to keep him out of the overbearing mitts of Big Sam and the Hammered hoolis. How horrible is it when we go up against players we had a shot at? Playing against Willian last year gave me a bad feeling. And when those teams that have stockpiled talent like Chelski...think of Salah, van Ginkel, and Schurrle keep adding to their team with a player like Fabregas then we should not sit still in the plans that our offensive players from last season will come good. How good would we be if we had signed Shurrle to be the 3rd in our front 4 with Lamela and Eriksen?

I know we could 'what if' all day long. One thing is certain, the new season will start and we will either have a squad that can score at will, or we will still be one of the toughest teams to beat.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button