Spurs agree a deal in principle to sign Loic Remy

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by George S, June 10, 2014.

Share This Page

1. George S

George S New Member

Queens Park Rangers Loic Remy has been linked with a move to both Arsenal and Tottenham recently and the latest revelation concerning the French international makes his future even harder to predict.

Remy, who ended the 2013/14 campaign on loan at Newcastle, favours a move to the Emirates according to Goal.com but is likely to have more talks with Tottenham Hotspur shortly.

Remy interested in Arsenal

The White Hart Lane outfit are ready to pay the £9 million buyout clause in the QPR mans contract but the reliable Greg Stobart believes the Frenchman will hold out from any move until after the World Cup.

It seems Spurs have been linked with Remy for years and in fact, they have. When the 27-year-old was at Marseille he was heavily mooted to be moving across the shores to north London but the transfer never materialised.

Instead, he ended up in west London with QPR but is now almost certain to depart the Loftus Road club.

Spurs remain confident

Goal.com believe Tottenham are confident of securing Remy on a four-year contract once his time with the French squad has finished, as he is currently set to feature in the World Cup with France.

The French international has apparently been impressed by the ambition Spurs have shown and feels they will once again challenge for Champions League football next season.

However, Remy is after a team that is currently competing in the Champions League and therefore would prefer a move to the Emirates, not White Hart Lane.

Whilst Tottenham can’t realistically push through a transfer before the World Cup it leaves the club in a tricky situation. Though they have agreed a deal in principle, if Arsenal bid for Remy, the Frenchman will apparently almost certainly move there.

Stick or twist?

Should Mauricio Pochettino wait for Remy or should Spurs cut their ties with a player that has apparently set his heart on joining a Champions League club and, even worst, their bitterest rivals?

It is a tough one for Tottenham as Remy is an immensely talented player and he has demonstrated as such in his spells in the Premier League with QPR and Newcastle.

The decision will be down to Pochettino & co and with the former Saints boss seemingly keen on the 27-year-old, maybe the club will wait and hope to convince another player to snub the Emirates for White Hart Lane.

2. NYSpursFan Guest

Why would Remy give up Champions League football to play for Spurs? It makes no sense at all. Who writes for Goal.com, anyway??

3. Ben Dover Guest

Last time I checked QPR were not in the Champions League so he's not giving that up is he?

4. edward Guest

Why QPR and then Newcastle in the first place?

5. big fran Guest

Obviously arsenal have shown an interest but haven't firmed that up with a bid.. The player will be hoping that a good showing in the WC will elevate him to an established CL club which we clearly are not at present and beggers cannot be choosers. At 9m and a proven PL finisher with around a ratio of 1 in 2 is a no brainer especially when u consider we were quoted 20m when we redknapp wanted him. Added to that the fact he can play as a lone forward or as a two and also wide right players like this can make squads looker bigger and deeper than they actually are saving millions

6. stevethespur Active Member

Remy will get goals at the lane. Hes a snip at 9 million, agree its a no brainer ! Coys.

7. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

I think the writing was on the wall, regarding Remys preferred choice of destination, when he was spotted taking in an Arsenal game, at the Emirates, towards the end of last season.

Should that, or the idea that he seemingly waiting for something better to come along bother us as Spurs supporters should he choose to don the famous lilywhite shirt of Tottenham Hotspur next season? Probably not...but it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth!

If these reports are correct, and, indeed, the reliable Greg Stobart once again deserves top marks for doing his homework, then I wouldn't be surprised if Daniel Levy decides to cancel the transfer, as their is one man who dislikes Spurs being given the run-around more than me (well perhaps not but you know what I mean) and that's the Chairman.

-'Arry tried it when OPENLY making gooey eyes at the English FA and he got the AXE!

- Frank De Boer tried it when he OPENLY started shouting his mouth of about Spurs having contacted him regarding the vacant managers job and he got the AXE (or at least demoted in terms of his rank on any shortlist)

- Bale, Modric and Berba all tried to hold a loaded gun to the clubs head, who was paying their wages, when they decided they had enough, and, each & every got the AXE... on Levy's terms.

To be honest their are probably countless other occasions (i.e. Tim Sherwood) where people have tried exert some kind of authority over the club, or simply play Hard-Ball/ Cat and Mouse, with Tottenham Hotspur only to find out that the Chairman is NOT for tickling!!!

And, IF Loic HAS decided to go down this particular path and keep Spurs as a 'back-up' option don't be surprised Levy informs him that our club should be regarded as NOBODY'S second choice.

8. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Remy and his agent tried this game with spurs a few years ago when we were strongly linked with the frenchman until they thought Chelsea had an interest, then it was CL only for Loic, of course that didn't quite go to plan for him but I dont think we should be surprised if he again dumps interest in spurs fo a CL club. Great talent and a good buy out price but im not sure this is worth chasing.

9. watchme New Member

If he is even thinking about joining the scum, then we should have no dealings with the ****.

10. Stylo Guest

If he's not totally 'sure' that he wants to play for Spurs I say forget him. If he's 'sure' he wants to play for the Arse, or for any team as long as they're in the CL, then let him say so and let them have him.

11. Spurporter Well-Known Member

We need a defender, don't we? Can we get a good one without a defect (falling for Gunners is a big one!)? I doubt we can. So we have to put up with it. To me the defect off the pitch is better than defect on the pitch. I would still go for this man, if this is what Poch needs, even though Remi is not your prototypical "fans favorite".

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button