Son Shines Again- CSKA Vs Spurs player ratings

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, September 27, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

It's now 5 in 5 for Son in all competitions as Spurs got 3 vital points and headed to second in the group in the Champions league. It wasn't pretty at times but on a day when football went into meltdown, Spurs game us something to cheer about.
    Below are my player ratings and please remember these are my ratings based on watching the game and I would encourage you all to offer your own ratings on the match.

Lloris- 7: Not too much to do but was safe when needed.

Trippier- 6: Not great but not bad either. Rusty but that's to be expected after little game time. Signs of quality but sloppy in posession at times.

Vertonghen - 6: Again he was slow and turned far too quickly on occasions. His positional seems e seems to have given out of the window. Must be dropped against City. Aguero will rip him to bits.

Alderweireld- 8 Another solid performance. An absolute gem.

Davies- 7: I felt that Davies played well tonight. Once Rose is fit he will,of course be back but Davies defended well and got forward well too. Not sensational but competent.

Lamela-7: Great pass of the goal. Frustrating as always but overall he worked hard and is improving with every game.

Wanyama- 7: Fairly solid. Did the simple things and made some strong challenges. Would like to see him up his game to really impact in matches but tonight it was job done.

Eriksen-7: Frustrating! Again!! At times brilliant but so slow on the ball. With a new contract signed he must do better.

Alli-7: Hit the bar and ran around a lot but still nowhere near the quality we saw last season. He is working hard but needs to keep it simple.

Son-8: The man who looked most likely to make things happen and scored yet again! Not his best goal and had the keeper saved it we would have been cursing him because it was a lame shot. Thankfully the keeper made a hash of it and the ball squirmed home. Naturally 2 footed, Son could be the main man his season.

Janssen-6 He worked hard and his ball control and hold up play is fabulous. Great work rate but when he wa taken off he was furious. Ignored Poch and went straight down the tunnel. I doubt Poch will take to that well. Great talent but if he doesn't score soon he could be another Soldado.

Summary- I haven't given ratings to the subs as they I don't feel I can. N Koudou looks lightening fast and I would be interested to see him against City.
    It wasn't a great performance tonight but we are now back in a good position in the group and on we go!

As ever, come of you Spurs!!!

Last edited: September 28, 2016
  2. Trev75 Guest

We played with 11 men not 9 !!

Where is Alderweireld and Wanyama's ratings???

Poor summary and poor ratings.

3. Spurs4Life Guest

Janssen did not walk straight down the tunnel. What game was you watching he sat with the rest of the players

4. Taffy1 Guest

Interesting that you didnt rate Aldeweireld
    Janssen didnt go down the tunnel but he did ignore Poch

Mattj78 likes this.
  5. Fyllp Guest

Poch was busy with JP and giving tactical instructions to a spurs player at the moment. At least that's how I recall it.

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. Genevaspurs Guest

Spurs had 63% possession and more than 3x shoots on goal than Moscow son I'm not disapointed of the team performance. My ratings are : loris 6 (nothing to do) Trippier 6 Alderweireld 7 Verthongen 8 (had à lot offre hard work with Traore and he did it well) Davies 7 Wanyama 7 Dele 5 (Dele was really poor during the game... just one nice shoot over the bar but nothing else for the whole game... one more time...) Eriksen 6 Son 7 Lamela 6 Janssen 6.
    COYS

7. Mick

Mick Member

I thought performance was good and an away win is never easy.A game we might easily have lost with so many changes. It shows to me that squad much stronger than last season. You would expect Janssen not to be happy but he walked to the bench. Was impressed with Nkoudou's cameo great pace and kept control of ball well. To me Poch's changes made a big difference and we now have more options. Hopefully our injuries cleared up for Sunday will need our full strength side coys

Mattj78 likes this.
  8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

The win was the most important thing and we did it.
    Son scored again which is a blessing in disguise as i cant see where consistently the goals will come from anywhere else at the moment.

Mattj78 likes this.
  9. Foxspurs Guest

You shouldn't be let near a forum again.
    Your obviously not a spurs supporter
    Try watching the game next time before you rate our 11 players

Mattj78 likes this.
  10. GH10 Guest

Professional job done.

Five first team players missing.

Full-backs excellent — both get a lot of unnecessary flack due to superiority of Rose and Walker.

Janssen's hold-up play a real positive (Kane-like in the sense that if the goals aren't there, ensure the other parts of your game are).

Son ON FIRE. He, like many players, needed time to adapt (and a kick up the ***).

N'Koudou a revelation. Without heaping too much on him too soon, reminds me a bit of Raheem Sterling. Raw pace, close control and willingness to make things happen.

Keep the faith. COYS!

Mattj78 likes this.
  11. Big fran Guest

Really felt for janssen last light I watched him in one passage of play around 30-35 mins in make five or six runs and the ball didn't come in early enough. Same just before subbed off Son ignored his runs twice electing to shoot from range with both shots blocked. Thought son got a little giddy on the night after the praise he's had of late. The sub looked justified as we scored soon after but in reality it pegged us bk as the ball didn't stick up top. Nkoudou very promising and wanyama impressed me very much breaking up play. Eriksen looked after the ball beautifully and dropped in deep later on to clear our lines on many occasions. Jv one poor header but was solid after that against the giant up top.

12. guesty Guest

I fear for Janssen. It has Soldado written all over it in terms of scoring goals. he needs the ball whipped in early and our players (Erikssen, Alli, Lamela, Son) just don't play those balls. its not in their make up. they all want to play that killer slide pass.....but with only 1 up top...the oppo CB's mark the man and the space.
    For Janssen....Sissoko is his better hope.

good performance though away from home. they never really had much about them. we were too good on the ball. like the look of N'k when he came on. took it to their RB who played a bit deeper as a result

interesting comment on here recently about Vertonghen....and filling in at LB. I watched that last night and whenever Davies went up...Verts had one eye on covering the LB position (which of course he plays for his country). Davies and Rose have licence to go up with Verts there....and that shouldn't be underestimated. Same as Aldi coving RB. Those 2 work really well in that respect. ...that will be needed against City I think

13. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Janssen has done more for the team than Soldado ever did,it is not just about getting goals but how many you make for the team when you dont score yourself,if you continue to hack on him he will soon become like Soldado,time to lay off him,he will come good,Son has taken a year,Janssen a few months,last night Son was starting to show a little big headed attitude almost like Bentalab did after winning MOM a number of times,Poch need's to have a word,apart from that a good win in a place where no team like's to go..COYS..

Felon82 and Jonesy like this.
  14. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Post Match Thoughts...

For me it's a case of Good News, Bad News..

Good News......CSKA were shite and we won. Wanyama 's early authority, Toby's dependability, Son's goal. The long haul is behind is.

Bad News.....Considering all our domination, we only scraped a 1-0 win. We can't spot a run or pick a pass from midfield most of the time. We failed to get to the byline enough. Nobody seemed to be able to beat anybody. Inverted wingers work if you are extremely talented....

As the game progressed you felt nervy and I was only bouyed by the fact that the opposition provided no threat. Bank the three and move on.

COYS

Felon82, Jonesy and Nomadico like this.
  15. burnt Guest

It was another decent performance , we,re slowly getting up to speed I think ... They were poor though and it would have been a travesty if we came back with anything less than 3 points ... Back on track again and we have every chance of getting out of an ordinary looking group ... It's just the Wembley thing for me that tempers confidence a bit ... On a slightly different note , we all know the importance of being in the Champs Lg but , my word these group stages are boring ... In all honesty would anyone here even give it a second glance if we weren't in it ....

Back to our own lot , jeez we can be awful frustrating to watch up top at times , always too slow , taking one touch too many , look we're used to Lamela doing it but Ali and Erikson are just as bad at the moment , then panic and try a stupid shot that's a 100/1 chance ... Keep moving the feckin thing quicker with less individual touches , don't be always trying to come through the middle , and make it more difficult for opposition defenses , at the moment it's just too easy to keep us out ... One or two touch football up top is seriously hard to defend against and I.m.o it's something we should be working on ... The players we have are well capable of that , some are a bit lightweight but they're good enough technically .... Jansen getting a bit of stick in some quarters already , jeez give the lad a chance ...

All in all , it's hard to judge fully yet , a lot of our opposition lately hasn't been great but at least nowadays we nearly always cruise through these types of games to a certain degree and you don't have to go back too far for that not to be the case ... The squad is certainly looking a lot healthier at the moment but you could have a completely different impression on that in a few weeks time , such is football ... Onwards and upwards hopefully , big test coming at the weekend , we,ve only met what you could call 2 of the better sides so far and they were prob our two poorest performances so hoping for a better showing this time leading into another international break .. We don't want to be dwelling on another poor show / bad result for 2 weeks .... C.O.Y.S ......

Bazza47 and Nomadico like this.
  16. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

An average match but we deserved the 3 points. CSKA offered very little. Son is on fire and long may it continue for the lad :)

Now, we must find a ruthless streak soon; we just won't get away with it against the stronger domestic or European sides!

On a separate note, I think we should lay off Janssen and give the guy some time. All of these parallels being drawn with Soldado is unnecessary and won't help him or the team.

Let's get behind him and properly back him/sing his name etc. He has some decent hold up play, a good touch and will start to score some goals eventually.

COYS

Nomadico and Bazza47 like this.
  17. guesty Guest

In all honesty....I only watch Spurs....so certainly wouldn't watch it if we weren't in it. And I don't watch it when we aren't playing. (NB - don't even watch MoTD if we lose)

I said 'I fear for Janssen' ...I didn't say I didn't rate him. I think he brings a huge amount to our team. His willingness and strength are very much PL styled. His link up play and ability to bring players in helps us a lot. BUT...he is a no.9 and no.9's are there to score goals. The Soldado reference I believe is correct. I'm not saying he is another Soldado....what I was suggesting is that earlier balls into him would give him more chance to score. But we don't really play that way. We are trying to walk it to the 6 yard box before we have an attempt on goal. Which means we let the oppo have time to regroup in numbers behind the ball..in the box. We need to mix it up is all I'm saying. Give Janssen some early balls to work with. BUT if he doesn't score....he is still an asset to the team....as he helps others score. I'd just like him to be the one in the right place to tap it in.
    lets ask the oppo defence different questions. always asking the same question means you generally always get the same answer. And against good teams...once they suss out your question.....you generally struggle.

Nomadico and Bazza47 like this.
  18. Nobody Guest

Once Rose and Walker are playing they will provide the direct balls into the box that should suit Jansen

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button