Son-Sational! PLAYER RATINGS: Middlesbrough 1-2 Spurs

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, September 24, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Spurs best start to a season in 51 years. 2 great goals from Son, nearly spoilt by a complacent final half an hour. Unbeaten in 6, 2nd in the league. Champions league then Man City.

Lloris 7 : Not a great deal he could have done for the goal. His distribution is still shaky and he needs to work on this part of the game because if he doesn't he will get caught out. Other than that, a solid afternoon.

Walker 7 : Got down the flanks well and offers plenty of width. Still makes silly mistakes and his complacency in the second half could have been costly against stronger opposition.

Alderweireld : 7 Another solid performance as we have come to expect from Toby. Calm and compose and a rock in a mean back line.

Vertonghen : 6 Jan looks like a weak link at the back. He can at times flatter to deceive and when Traore came on he wasn't anywhere close to him. Poor marking from Jan and Wimmer needs to be given his chance.

Davies : 6 Better today. He got forward well and supported Son on the left side adding more width to the game than we have recently where at times Spurs have looked very narrow.

Sissoko : 5 showed some signs of his strength and drive but he was found wanting on too many occasions. His distribution wasn't great and Poch was right to take him off. He huffed and he puffed but really didn't impress today. Culpable for the Boro goal showing no desire for the ball. For the money he looks average.

Alli : 6 Alli still hasn't hit top gear yet but he did get forward this afternoon and should have been on the scoresheet but he fired over from inside the box with a left footed shot the required more composure. He will keep improving and that's great news for the Spurs.

Wanyama: 7 Wanyama was solid again and is composed on the ball. He isn't a marauding midfielder but he protects the back four and is a good squad player. Outshone Sissoko today.

Son : 9 Superb again from Son. He uses both feet, Cuts inside and goes out wide keeping defenders guessing. Both goals were beautifully taken and easily Spurs' man of the match today. He has been given his chance and boy is he taking it!!

Eriksen : 7 Eriksen was running the midfield in the first half and was at the heart. Much of start. Insightful passing and ball play were all much improved but as with many of the players today he became too complacent in possession in the second half.

Janssen : 7 Janssen's strength and hold up play was instrumental in the first goal and for the players running in behind he must be a joy as he can hold it up and lay it off with such ease. He didn't have many chances of note but his effort was plain to see and when he gets that first league goal he will be firing on all cylinders. He is better than Soldado and it will happen for him.

Subs

Winks : 6
    Didn't have long to impress but was steady.
    Lamela : 6 Settled the midfield down and did okay.
    N'Koudou : 6 Looks super fast and would like to see him start a game to see what damage he can do.

Another good day at the office for Spurs. In our games so far this season in the league we have looked sloppy in the first half and better in the second half. Today it was reversed. In the first half it could have been any number of goals but Spurs took their foot off the gas after 55 minutes and they just concentrate the full 90 and offer more for the full game.
    Much to admire, a few issues that need ironing out but overall another 3 points and 2nd in the league.

As ever, Come on You Spurs!!!

Nomadico likes this.
  2. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Son took a lot of flak last season,but given the chance he s showing us what he can do,with the spine back next match against City we should look more stable across the entire 90 mins,I agree with you matt that Wimmer should be in and give Vert a rest on the bench,a good 3 points,now away in Moscow CL a draw or win will do fine..COYS..

Jonesy and Mattj78 like this.
  3. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

He just needed a regular run and now he's showing us his best. 2 footed, quick and exciting. He is our Son!!

Remy Uwilin and Jonesy like this.
  4. Big fran Guest

Don't think spurs much the same as you state with Alli have hit anywhere near top gear as yet. Got six very good options to play in the 3 off the front man and that's seems to be bringing the best out of the enigma which is Son. Yet despite not being great we are still second in the pile. Coys.

5. Brianyid47 New Member

Forget any minor negatives, the first half performance was out of this world and deserved 4/5 goals! If we continue like that we will be out of sight in most games! The only small adjustment I feel we need to make is in play around the opposition box where we tend to overplay the passes instead of maybe taking a chance and shooting more often as was demonstrated by Erikson's first goal against Gillingham! Coys!

6. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Well its nice seeing that even without Kane Dier and Rose we can still field a more than capable side.
    First 30 mins excellent then in control til about 60 mins slipped into stroll mode.
    Sissokos attempt at a defensive header was pitiful and then we're left chancing just getting a point when we were by far the better side.
    Janssen didnt have much in the way of chances but his work rate, runs touches bringing the rest of the attack into play is exactly what id expect from my striker if hes not scoring so his team play is just as valuable.
    Son seems to be unstoppable when hes at the races so hopefully he can bring a bit of consistency to his performances, 2 wonderfully taken goals. (Lamela take note)
    We're doing alright and still have plenty of gears to go up so all in all good from Poch and the Team if not pretty, id like to see a bit more conviction in our play to avoid second half potential equalisers and at times wanting to walk the ball in the net.

Jonesy and Mattj78 like this.
  7. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

If somebody had offered us 4-2-0, second spot, only three goals conceded and not at full strength or firing on all cylinders at this stage we'd have bitten there had off.
    A little squeaky bum time late on. This lack of crisp finishing will cost us against the best teams....and it nearly did against one of the worst.
    I'd play Wimmer, soon. Why not in Moscow against the Ruskies .....
    COYS

8. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Great to see Son in such magnificent form some of his goals this year have been pure magic. I saw him in Melbourne and thought he looked very sharp and in great shape, so far this season he's been the standout. Have to say a tad disappointed with Alli so far, we've seen glimpses of what he can do but he's been too wasteful in good positions. id like to see him come off the bench for a few games where im sure he will bring his best and earn his spot. For me although he has potential for greatness for such a young player he's been overplayed and a bit overrated. I don't doubt his work rate or desire but as I said a few games off the bench as an impact player will give him the opportunity to raise his game and prove himself. Same goes for most of the forwards at the moment, there's a lot of healthy competition for starting spots and no one is undroppable for the sake of good and necessary rotation. Overall a decent start of the new season and we are building up to some of the form showed last season. Shame about Harry but a perfect opportunity for Janssen, love his attitude and don't really like the comparisons to Soldado but its up to him to prove himself and start netting a few. First time ive seen N,Koudou, looking forward to seeing some more, COYS...

Felon82 likes this.
  9. The Lily Whites New Member

Vertongen has been mediocre for far too long and on that form is a liability. Wimmer must be given a chance soon. Great to see Son at his best now.

Felon82 and Nomadico like this.
  10. Cheshuntboy Guest

This 'best start for 51 years' business intrigued me, so I looked up the 1965/66 season, and found that we won four and drew two of our first six, exactly as this year, but with a plus nine goal difference, so not quite as good (where's Jimmy Greaves when you need him?). After that, things went downhill quite rapidly, with only two wins in the next six, and we finished in eighth, our lowest position for seven years. Is any of this relevant to 2016/17? Maybe not, but we've managed single-goal wins over three strugglers, and scraped very lucky draws against Liverpool and Everton, so let's not get carried away (as usual) - the coming week will be a REAL test for the team and the manager, and if we win both games, the resulting euphoria might be justified - let's see.

Bazza47 likes this.
  11. Big fran Guest

Really don't understand the constant calls for Jan to be axed at all. Gone on for time now this. Equal best defence in league last season. Only conceded 3 in 6 league games league wise this term so far. Its a solid back five and JV has been pretty constant in that under Poch. OK wimmer came in and did well for a a spell when Jan got injured and was unfortunate to lose his spot. But remember he only got in due to injury and at the time we were all worried how the void would be filled as were were watertight at that point. Wimmer is certainly the future but Jan has qualities that compliment Toby and can step out and play. Also remember Jan and Toby are also good full backs in thier own right so when rose and walker get caught high up the pitch as they often do coming across and sweeping in as full BKS isn't a problem. Also add to that his experience, leadership qualities and his rank amongst the players and staff its am obvious fit.

12. burnt Guest

Good performance yesterday , another good 3 points , we've done well over last few weeks bar Monaco but as has been mentioned above the fixtures have been kind ... Had a quick look at the upcoming fixtures and it's about to get a whole lot tougher ... We play 15 games between now and Dec 11 of which only 4 will be at the Lane .. 3 away days in Champs Lg & 2 at Wembley , away to L.pool in domestic cup , and away to Chelsea , Arsenal , and Man U + a couple of others in Lg ... Our only game at the lane out of next 6 fixtures is Man City next Sun .. We are about to find out a lot more about Pochs 2016 / 2017 version of Spurs ... It's looking good in a lot of ways and promising in others but this set of fixtures is a real test and will reveal plenty about where we are .... Scousers went away to Chelsea , Arsenal and Spurs already and took 7 points , now if we manage the same from Utd , Chelsea & Arsenal , there'll be a lot of us getting jiggy jiggy .... Interesting times ahead ... C.O.Y.S ......

Nomadico, Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  13. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Fran just watch the 2 goals v monaco, this is Jan the poor defending but good ball player at his best.

Nomadico likes this.
  14. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Well, what can I say about Son. Unplayable at times yesterday, tormented the Boro. It's nice to see him developing with a consistent run in the team.

I thought we were superb in the first half and should have been 0-3 at HT, we just fail to kill games off atm but they will hopefully learn, soon!

Stand out performers were Son and Toby for me. Agree with the majority re. Jan and we miss Rose.

Nice touch from Poch at the end, acknowledging the fans. A proper manager with class.

All in all, well worth the 591 mile round trip and a night in the Toon!

Let's take something from Moscow...

COYS

Nomadico, Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  15. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Did you go Jonesy.....that's a trek for sure. That miss by Delli could have cost. We would have been out of sight....

16. guesty Guest

never mind about that trip.....what about Moscow!?!? ....good luck, and be safe, to anyone travelling to that madhouse! ...those Russian fans are dangerously unstable in head

Jonesy likes this.
  17. burnt Guest

Well said Guesty , anyone going over to that Nut-job Country , be careful and come home safely regardless of the bloddy result ... We can beat these Moscovites for sure but it can be an intimidating place , but we have plenty of experience now going to some odd corners of the globe in the Europa so I for one am pretty hopeful .... C.O.Y.S ........

Jonesy likes this.
  18. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Hi Bazza - yep, I went mate. I love an away game! Drove to Boro and then stayed in the Toon for a night out ;-)

Agree re. Delli, thought that was going to cost us when it went to 1-2! Thankfully not. Felt we should have had a pen before HT too; ref had a shocker...

19. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

One to watch on the TV me thinks! No way the missus was letting me go to Boro and then Moscow across 4 days.

A win is achievable and we shouldn't fear any of the teams in our group. We deserve to be at Europe's top table and must believe we will qualify to the next stage.

Get Son on the ball!!! COYS

Nomadico and Mattj78 like this.
  20. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

Most definitely agree with most about Son finally taking his chance and showing us what he's made of. I like that he's more direct in his intention, attacking the defense on the dribble to cross or cut in and shoot with his favored right foot. Tactically I'd like to see Poch allow the wingers to swap mid play just to keep the defense on their toes and give a different perspective of our attack; but mainly allow Son to play where he's most comfortable.

The last few games have really shone how much we miss Rose...especially Walker, when Rose is in the game the defense now has to deal with two fast fullbacks who can attack. For the most part they're overload Walker's side and take away that space for him to run into. It will be awesome to have him back soon!!

My last comment would be on Janssen, definitely loving his strong hold up play....really a team player, Son, Alli, Eriksen must really like playing with a forward like him. I think Poch needs to allow him to be a bit selfish too...get in positions were he can score; balance his distribution and opportunities in front of goal. We'll need him to score; especially with Kane out for a while.

What a hell of a start...quietly making away up the table. Man City will be a hell of a challenge though. Maybe with De Bruyne out, we have a chance!!! COYS!

Nomadico likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button