Some facts about reported Tottenham and Liverpool target Alberto Moreno

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Spurspanyol, June 23, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Spurspanyol

Spurspanyol New Member

Alberto Moreno was only promoted to Sevilla's first team squad in February, 2013. He came into the side at the expense of Fernando Navarro, who has had to make do as a back-up centre-back instead. It's been a rapid ascent from budding youth product to potential superstar which culminated in him being part of Spain's provisional World Cup squad this summer -- eventually missing out on the (short) trip to Brazil.

At 5'7" he isn't going to impose his physicality on the Premier League and is marginally shorter than our current left-back, Danny Rose. Most full-backs these days tend to fall into one of two categories:

1) Fast & being more capable in attack than defence.
    2) Tall, defensively sound but limited further up the field.
    It's safe to say Alberto fits perfectly into category number one.

The problem with those 'category one' full-backs is their lack of awareness when it comes to doing their primary job which is to defend. Danny Rose got caught out more than once this season trying to be too fancying in defence, or being left hopelessly up field after an attack had broken down.

So what about Alberto Moreno? I'd say he's a huge upgrade on Danny. At 21, you can't expect him to be the finished article or even close to that but his development has soared past that of Rose already. He still has a lot of work to do defensively though. And as we know in the Premier League, the smaller sides will look to win physical battles all over the pitch & Moreno would be singled out by most, if not all.

There isn't a sure fire way to know how he would adapt to that type of physicality. He seems a determined young man that wants to do everything possible to reach the top. He's risen through the ranks at Sevilla and forced his way into the current World Champions plans at the age of 21. That's impressive in anyone's book so you could argue that he has the drive and character to adapt to whatever situation he's in.

Offensively is where he really shines. He has electric pace, is comfortable on the ball and not afraid to take on a man or two. Some full-backs tend to slow play down and look to play a 1-2 to get in behind the defence but Moreno is certainly more direct, similar in that sense to Kyle Walker. And like Walker, he's capable of delivering very good crosses once he gets into those offensive positions. Pochettino is likely to speed up our attacking play and that will greatly benefit our full-backs.

There are risks with any lightweight full-back, especially one from outside of the Premier League. The risk is increased ten-fold when you consider the asking price will be 20M+. That asking price is the only reason he hasn't been pictured holding up a Liverpool shirt this summer. It is a big, big gamble and one that will make a huge dent in our transfer fund, maybe even taking out the majority of it. Then again, left-back is the area we desperately need to strengthen.

I'd say for an on-the-dot 20M he's worth the risk. If you start approaching 30M then I think it's time to look elsewhere, especially when you consider Daley Blind is available for around 15M. A lot of people underestimate the need of having two very good full-backs. We already have one. Step forward, Mr. Moreno?

2. oldgaz New Member

Reasonable article until the last paragraph.......there is not a full back worthy of the name in the first team squad. A full back's first duty is to defend ,stopping crosses and stopping penetration down the flank. Anything after this is a bonus and in a team like spurs the last thing they need is twats like Walker and Rose constantly being caught out of position. Alves and Marcello are all very well in Brazil but in the Premier League they would leak goals........look at goals conceded for spurs last season.

3. big fran Guest

Working off of your 2 category theory I definitely feel we need one from the latter who first and foremost can defend. Its OK having the attack minded full backs if you have two solid dependable centre half's which we most certainly DO NOT! However there is a third category that can do both jobs in equal measures that includes the phillipe Lahms and the Alba's of this world.. However they cost a pretty penny unless your name happens to
    be Ashley Cole wanting a two year deal and first team football.

4. hizzony Guest

Walker cannot cross the ball! I cannot think of one cross or corner he has delivered that has resulted in a goal.

5. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

I, for one, STILL believe that Rose has a lot to offer Spurs even though he clearly suffered a dip in confidence and form on his return from injury.

It had to be hard for the kid playing in a defence that was as exposed as ours last season, and how many times has Danny had to cope from a loss of form in his short career?

And another issue is with Rose that people overlook is, apart from Dawson (who plays on the right side of the defence) is going to help guide, and educate, the young/inexperienced players through the games?

I am STILL waiting to see, consistently, that side of Vertonghen game despite him being captain at Ajax, and Chiriches was trying to do that whilst adapting to a new league/team.

With Dawson seemingly on the way out of the club this summer it's VITAL that the entire defensive roster become more vocal and begin to communicate with eachother on a regular basis, during games, as it can only help.

It SHOULD also be remembered that although Rose is 23, he has still to play more than 100 competitive league games at ANY level, and even less in his (relatively) NEW position of full-back, which is UNDOUBTEDLY one of, if not, the most demanding position/s on a football field, in the modern game. It's a EXPERIENCED/ 'OLD MAN'S' game (playing at full-back), hence the reason World/ Top Class full-backs, let alone ones under the age of 25, are so scarce.

I really like the look of Alberto Moreno though, and the prospect of having to compete for his place may just help bring on Danny's development further, assuming he is up for the challenge.

You see the biggest concern I have about Rose is his attitude. He seems like a quiet, level headed and driven young man, for the most part, but it is also easy to interpret those characteristics the wrong way. He can appear aloof at times, with some of his comments regarding his long-term future at the club bordering on arrogance, tinged with a sense of entitlement.

Is he the type to react well to the challenge of (FAIR) competition, which may lead to him starting the season on the bench? Would he keep his head down, work on developing his game in training and make the most of his opportunity when it arises?

Or, would he simply give it to January, if he is not playing regularly, before speaking to the press about how he is 'frustrated with the lack of game time' and 'need to consider his future'?

The problem is, I couldn't tell you with any degree of certainty what he would do.

But if anyone can help young Rose to rediscover his confidence and improve his game, I suppose it's Pochettino.

Anyway, I have ALWAYS been a fan of the Swansea LB Ben Davies, but if you want a slightly more exciting/glamours capture, then look no further than the current Porto LB Alex Sandro.

Powerful, quick and an aggressive ball winner, Sandro has a superb engine, excellent technique and a good understanding of where he should be positioned in defensive situations. At 22 years old, he represents a typical Levy purchase, already has 2/3 years of CL experience, still has PLENTY of scope to improve, and would offer Spurs a completely new dynamic, on the pitch, with his vision, and range of passing from deep.

There are no videos, of any real length, of him playing for Porto, which is a shame, but I did find a few of him learning his trade as a youngster in Brazil...and he was an impressive talent, even, then.

6. big fran Guest

I'm not sure that rose has the ability or attitude to improve but certainly at the 1m will paid for him im up for giving him a chance under a more senior left bk. I suspect as yourself that he would more than likely throw his toys out the pram as he has intimated previously if not made first choice on his return from Sunderland. He was however managed poorly last season a)given a free run at the Lb spot by allowing BAE out on loan b) instantly awarding him the no 3 shirt c) never being taken out of the firing line

Ramos43 likes this.
  7. Spurspanyol

Spurspanyol New Member

If you ask a lot of Swansea fans they'll tell you that Ben Davies is still raw at defending. Probably the greatest left-back of this generation, Ashley Cole, perfected the art of bombing down the flank before later improving his defensive game. My point being that most full-backs dominate one area before moving onto the next. Is that right? Well, that's another conversation for another day but it's the growing trend.

The only young full-back in the Premier League that is more defensive based is Cesar Azpilicueta but that's greatly down to him playing at left-back when he's a natural (& comfortable) right-back.

The world class full-backs you mentioned are complete now, but they weren't at the beginning. Jordi Alba is still quite raw at the back it's just that he doesn't tend to defend often as he plays for teams that dominate possession.

I agree with Ramos43 that too many are writing off Danny Rose when he started the season brightly. Due to not signing a left-back in the summer (& letting BAE go out on loan) he was rushed back from his injury and I think, as was the case with Jan, he entered a side that was devoid of confidence. He certainly isn't blameless for some of the errors he committed last season but I'd like to see him stay as back-up and be slowly eased into the side, preferably when it's a cohesive unit.

I think this statement is completely untrue. He's a very capable crosser of the ball but our system, last season especially, meant all our play came through the middle. His free-kicks have improved and the Spurs corner jinx affected Modric, VdV & Bale too so I think it's unfair to blame him for them. Arguably it's our positioning which is to blame (at both ends of the field). Walker was probably our PoTS before his injury as well. There aren't many better than him in the Premier League.

Ramos43 likes this.
  8. big fran Guest

Be interested to watch nagatomo tonight impressed me v Greece offensively and scored 6 goals for inter Milan last term. Very gettable target but see how he is defensively..

Ramos43 likes this.
  9. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Very interesting point/suggestion, B Fran...

Nagatomo would be a good shout, actually. Technically he is very assured and he is effective in both areas of the field. The ONLY question I would have about the Japanese International would be: Do Spurs REALLY want/need a right-footed LB considering there is every chance that we will see a right-sided wide-man operating ahead of him (on occasions)?

I know that with LB being Nagaotmo natural/usual position he WOULD be able to offer more width than someone playing out of position in that area of the field. But the fact remains his right-foot is still his preferred, which COULD make make Spurs' attacks a little predictable, at times, with him more inclined to use that side to cross.

But in saying, Yoto is a VERY good player. Aggressive, pacey and possessing a great engine, I think the kid would be a good fit (guy) for life in the EPL, and would present Spurs with a GREAT business opportunity with any potential move likely to expose the Tottenham Hotspur 'brand' even further in Asia.

Although I would prefer a NATURAL left-sided LB, all in all, if he signed, I'd be happy.

Last edited: June 25, 2014

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button