Several players shine as ruthless Spurs beat Colchester

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, January 30, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Spurs' season was never going to be judged on today but nonetheless we were professional and ruthless. Two words not associated with Spurs over the years but under Pochettino, that is exactly what we have become.

It's hard to call a Spurs side a second string these days, such is the quality we possess. Again, something we have lacked recently but we truly have quality in all positions right now.
    Chadli is not a workaholic but he gets goals. A great squad player to have. Trippier is starting to impress now and Davies and Rose are bringing out each others qualities by fighting for the left back berth.

The FA cup throws up some shocks but Spurs were just too good today. As of course they should be.

Tom Carroll was superb today. He gelled the team and again showed his quality. The criticism he has received from some has been totally unfounded and I am pleased that Poch has such confidence in this lad. He has the potential to become a vital part of this Spurs journey.

With Mousa Dembele signing a new contract this week and Moussa Dembele the second having a medical today, the future for this Spurs team is bright. Lillywhite!!

We must keep this team together and most importantly, with all these contracts flying around, Levy must get Poch to commit on paper now!!

I have had doubts in the past but as he gets older and stays longer, I can only see a long future for this manager and Tottenham Hotspur at last!!

As ever, come on you Spuurrrsss!!!!

Tottenhamlover, Deggsy56 and Nomadico like this.
  2. Nomadico Well-Known Member

It is good to get the win but how many times shots missed!!if there are negatives in this match then it has to be Lamela who was shooting blanks,and why was Son on the bench,if this is the back up to Kane then Poch better start shooting practice very soon!!! COYS

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Maybe a bit complacent at times, must put chances away. Can't moan though!

4. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Come on Josh if this is the back up to Kane then we do have a problem,wasting chances like today will cost us dearly in the PL..COYS

Mattj78 likes this.
  5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Good result and performance.
    Trippier is growing in confidence game by game and adds a wider dimension/threat to our play.
    Chadlis 1st goal was a great clinical finish, knee over the ball and with precision into the far corner impressive.
    Lamela poor again and if you cant look good v Chesterfield in your 'improved' break through season then your not going anywhere.
    Window coming to a close il be dissapointed if we dont choose to bolster our position and secure some much needed Silverware or CL football.

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

Good performance overall from the squad, it's great to see confidence raising in some of our players; Trippier, Chadli, Bentaleb and Carroll looked good in the middle. Though Lamela's efforts didn't amount to much; he wasn't too far off and he amassed a good string of passes, I wouldn't put him too down about today. We do need players to come in and improve the squad, but it has to be players who won't disturb the chemistry of the team; can't just be anybody.

Great news to be getting Moussa Dembele, though I wish he wasn't loaned back but that was the only way anyone could have gotten him from Fuhlam. If we don't sign a striker in by close of the transfer window, I believe Poch will find a way to make sure we finish top 4 and go far within the other competitions we're still in!!!

All looks bright!!
    COYS!!

7. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

If we were so ruthless we would have put ten past this shite. Seriously the first time we put send the ball foward both CBs run into each other and knock themselves out ffs.. Couple of the lads had good games but how could they not against this. Nice goal from Chadli but overall we were wasteful and only needed to turn up for an easy win. I dont see any reason to start Kane for this game. Good news about Moussa II but if we cant get a new striker in for this year then start with Chadli or Son up top in these games

8. johnnyhrvat Guest

It was good that we were a bit wasteful in front of goal otherwise it would have been contest over after 15 minutes and a pointless exercise of kicking a ball about with no purpose for the other 75. As it was some players had a good competitive run out, we sustained no injuries and we entered into the spirit of the FA Cup by scoring a goal for the minnows and giving their crowd something to cheer about.
    Looks like the game is up for Lamela - dragged off early for the second time running having been left out of the Palace game. I don't think we shall see much more of him after Son and Chadli have taken their chances.
    Trippier and Davies are looking like our best wing-back pairing although the rotation seems to be benefiting all four regular wing-backs.

9. Tom Carroll "superb"? You must be joking! His passing accuracy was once again lamentable, and nearly got us into trouble more than once

10. Nomadico Well-Known Member

I do not understand this problem with Lamela,he started to improve and now in the last few games he has played he has gone Awol,maybe he thinks his place in the team is a given fact,Poch need's to have a one on one;;COYS..

11. Lee2 Guest

Trippier was excellent, got up the flank and delivered good balls. Defending ok. Should start before Walker imo.

Chadli good too as he took most of his chances. Impact sub in prem for me, or maybe start against more physical teams

Lamela works hard but finishing and decision making not there yet - needs to work on his shooting too. Bench for the moment.

Eriksen, son, alli, dembele, dier are our strongest midfield 5 at the moment I think..

12. Tottenhamlover

Tottenhamlover Member

Decent performance from the lads nothing special.
    I agree that Caroll was phenomenal along with Trippier who crosses better than Walker and is sound defensively.
    Dier was shocking and lost the ball needlessly on occasions and Lamela was also poor.
    I didn't see the point of starting Kane in this game if he didn't play against Leicester in the 3rd round.
    However we march on towards Wembley
    COYS

Just seen a few Moussa Dembele videos, who is reportedly having a medical.
    He reminds me a bit of Benteke or Lukaku.
    He is powerful, strong, makes good runs, is a great finisher and can head a ball well.
    he is a little raw but under Pochs guidance he can become a great striker.
    Thoughts on Dembele please

Mattj78 and Nomadico like this.
  13. Spurporter Well-Known Member

The team was sloppy and uninspiring the entire game. Eriksen and Lamela had a very much dreadful lunchtime. We won only because of some luck and much better conditioning, as Us could hardly move at the conclusion.
    I am glad that such performance occured in Colchester, not in EPL tie. Spurs now must come back strong against Norwich.

14. Big fran Guest

Be interested in seeing if dembele comes straight in or loaned back which I hope not the case. If they do then another striker needs to be signed. Newcastle bid 21m for berahino this is bad news!!

Nomadico likes this.
  15. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Fran, with hours to go until the close I can see us signing no one,come on Levy work your magic..

16. Big fran Guest

Keep the faith my friend.. There are still some legs in this deal just yet.! Decent cup draw to boot.

Nomadico likes this.
  17. Mattj78

Colchester!

Felon82 likes this.
  18. Mattj78

What on earth game were you watching?!! Spurs were professional and ruthless. Did their job.

19. Mattj78

The Dembele deal has fallen through. Sky report he passed the medical but Spurs did not want to loan him back for the rest of the season.

20. Siggy22

Siggy22 New Member

Dembele deal will be back on tomorrow....watch this space...

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button