Sandro set for QPR medical, Swansea in for Naughton, Coulibaly & Obika off

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by James McC, September 1, 2014.

Share This Page

1. James McC

James McC Member

Twitter:
    JMcCarthyLIVE
    Brazilian midfielder Sandro is set to undergo a medical at QPR ahead of a permanent move away from Spurs.

Sandro has struggled with injury the past season and saw his chances in the first team cut with the introduction of Mauricio Pochettino at the Spurs helm.

With Etienne Capoue preferred in his favoured defensive midfield position, and another midfielder of the same style set to join in the form of Benjamin Stambouli, Sandro is clearly surplus to requirements.

Stambouli is set to cost Spurs just £4.7million with the sale of Sandro fetching up to £10million according to the Daily Mail. The £10million fee seems very harsh on the player who game Spurs a memorable night in the San Siro back in 2011, but add-ons have not been confirmed.

Beeeeasssttttt!
    The Beast has constantly shown Spurs fans the utmost respect and attention, showcasing his fantastic personality and brining a spark to a lacklustre dressing room, and will no doubt be hugely missed by the Spurs faithful.

He has made 81 League appearances for Spurs, scoring 3 memorable goals against Chelsea, Fulham and Manchester United.

This summer always looked like the window in which he would leave, with Napoli offering up to £15million for the Brazilian’s services. After that bid was rejected, it seemed as if the tables may have turned.

Hopefully either Sandro stays or at the very least, the pony £10million fee rises.

Swans in for Naughton
    Meanwhile, Swansea City manager Garry Monk has confirmed his interest in Spurs fullback Kyle Naughton, who can play on either the left or right of defence:

“We are looking at him (Naughton), but we're looking at a number of players. We're talking about a player who's with another club, so I don't want to disrespect anyone,”

Naughton started the first game of the season at right-back but was sent off for handball against West Ham, allowing Eric Dier to take his place and impress in his position. With Kyle Walker injured and DeAndre Yedlin joining in January, it is unlikely that Naughton will leave however.

That is of course unless it can be incorporated into a deal for Wilfried Bony, who is available for £24million OR a lower fee with players involved.

Jon and Souley leave

In terms of done deals, youth player Jon Obika has joined Swindon Town in a permanent deal having been sent out on loan 7 times in his time at Spurs, while Souleymane Coulibaly has joined Serie B side FC Bari after finding himself in the same situation.

Tomislav Gomelt has joined Coulibaly at Bari on a season long loan.

Good luck to the three payers!

2. Big Mal Guest

£10m for a player who is mostly injured or when he plays delivers very little. It is amazing that a player can post videos, play the guitar and, occasionally have a good game (I would say he's had about 10 since he has been with us) can be so loved. All that matters is can he play consistently well. The answer with Sandro is an emphatic 'no'. So before anyone posts in disgust let me make it clear. He's a top bloke; I shout 'beast' when he comes on, but ask yourself one simply question 'is he worth a place in the team?'. I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for him to deliver, but winning a tackle and passing it (very slowly) with his right foot to someone 10 yards a way would not get in my team. By Beast - you promised so much and delivered so little.

3. Gary Fox Guest

Unfair. Between August 2012 and January 2013, Sandro and Dembele were THE outstanding central midfield pairing in the Premiership. His injury at QPR finished his season and frankly, since then, he has not been quite the same player. But sometimes he has come back too soon from injury and last seasons bizarre and constantly rotating midfield pairings under two clueless managers didnt help ANY of the midfielders concerned - look at Paulinho, Dembele, Siggy, Chadli and even Eriksen until his late-season flourish. Sometimes a player like Sandro needs a few games to get back to full effectiveness and he hasnt had that - he will get it at QPR and I think we'll see what happens when he does (look at Siggy's performance for Swansea last weekend to see what happens when you give people a clear role and a few games in a settled formation). Farewell to the Beast, Holtby (it seems) and Dawson - none of them hugely talented but all 100% triers and that worries me a little about where the passion and heartbeat is going to come from.

Felon82 likes this.
  4. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Really disappointed at the prospect of losing Sandro. He is one player who I feel has always given his all for Spurs but sadly he does not fit it into Pochettino's plans and Capoue would appear to be the main man.
    For me, Sandro has power and is brilliant at breaking up play, and as much as I like the look of Capoue so far, I still think Sandro should be starting ahead of him as he has more to offer the team as a whole.
    I wish him good luck and will gladly welcome the beast back to the Lane on any occasion.

5. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

I wished Poch could have gambled on Sandro, when he's on the field he gives it his all. I don't care what system the manager is trying to run, having a player who can be that disruptive on the field there's no way you can't find somewhere to play him. Was one of the last few true leaders we had left, it's a sad seeing him go.

notnats likes this.
  6. stevethespur Active Member

We have to back Poch and hope Stambouli will improve the team. Sandro gave his all on the pitch and we have to say a big thankyou for that. With QPR's defence the beast could be just what they need to shield their centre backs. Seen Stambouli on youtube and he looks an all action energetic, modern midfielder. Goals could be an issue for us this season, we didnt score against Liverpool, so a striker would have been nice. Lets hope Ade, bobby, harry and one or two others can chip in enough to make a vintage year. Coys

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button