Sandro in talks with Napoli as Brazilian edges closer to move away from club

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by George S, June 25, 2014.

Share This Page

1. George S

George S New Member

Our Brazilian midfielder Sandro has been linked with a move away from White Hart Lane since the end of the season and according to reports is in talks with Napoli.

The Serie A club have long been labelled as a potential buyer of the fan favourite but nothing concrete had come forward, however that has now changed.

Talks between Napoli and Sandro

Sky Sports Italia journalist Fabrizio Romano has revealed that talks are ongoing between Napoli and the Brazilian midfielders agents.

He said: “Sandro agents are in talks with Napoli. But not done the right offer, right now.”

Romano is well sourced within Italian football and works with the excellent Gianluca Di Marzio so his tweet does seem truthful.

Interestingly he confirms that Sandro and Napoli haven’t agreed a deal yet but suggests that will eventually.

Time to move on…

The 25-year-old was an integral part of the starting XI under previous management but found his chances under former boss Tim Sherwood limited last season.

Now Mauricio Pochettino has taken charge, you would imagine the former Internacional ace would be handed an opportunity to impress but it seems the midfielder is interested in a new challenge.

TottenhamLive blogger Josh Bolton recently wrote an excellent article about ‘the Beast’ and analysed how much we would miss the Brazilian should he depart.

He listed his regular injuries as a possible reason to allow Sandro to leave for good, whilst also focusing on whether fans love the midfielder for his personality rather than his performances.

Meanwhile in Étienne Capoue we have a ready-made replacement waiting in the wings who after a season in the Premier League will surely be improved as a footballer and adjusted to the pace of English football.

2. fornenced Guest

Capoue is not a ready made replacement and if you think he is then your knowledge of the game is very questionable.

3. big fran Guest

Absolute shocker if Sandro is allowed to move on as he is the only
    player of his type we have and one of the only if not THE only world class ones we have. If he wants to leave us for a club of napoli size says it all

notnats likes this.
  4. oldgaz New Member

Capoue is more than an adequate replacement for someone who although exciting has never lived up to his potential. I believe that Capoue ,given a fair crack, will shield the defence better than Sandro. I do wonder whether Sandro would be able to survive the coming fitness blitz expected under Pochettino.......ditto for Benny and Ade.

5. dram Guest

Sandro is a long way from being irreplaceable. He has fallen out of love with the club and his situation is untenable. He has to go.

6. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Will be a sad day when Sandro leaves the club (for a number of reasons) but I have NEVER been one that subscribes to the idea that you should keep a player against his will.

Sandro and his agent have long stated their desire to move to Italy one day, and IF reports are true that he has set his heart on leaving Spurs, then Tottenham CAN'T AFFORD to keep him any longer!

You see the Brazilian ONLY has 2 years left on his contract, and if he refuses to sign a new one then Spurs risk losing the player for a vastly reduced fee, or even free, in the future...which would be scandalous.

Levy knows how to negotiate a contract, and he also knows the value of Sandro as a player, as well as what he represents to the clubs support - which means Sandro will ONLY leave the club if he REFUSES to sign a new deal, essentially forcing Spurs' hand.

Sandro is, for me, UNDOUBTEDLY, one of the best DM in Europe, and losing him would be a HUGE blow, both on, and off the pitch - with The Beast also being a big/popular character in the dressing, too.

But the club DOES have a ready made replacement, in the shape of the more cultured, Etienne Capoue who is an EXCELLENT player in his own right.

Obviously, I would rather Sandro sign a new deal, commit his long term future to the club and compete with Capoue for a starting berth (perhaps even partnering the Frenchman on special occasions) but should that NOT happen, do not be surprised to see Victor Wanyama follow his former boss out of the St Mary's door, and arrive at The Lane.

Personally, I'm taking these rumours from Sky Italia with a pinch of salt. They regularly report all kinds of nonsense regarding English clubs, and their success rate is more accurately described as 'hit and miss', at best.

(Anyway, The similarities between Capoue and Patrick Vieira are uncanny. Wouldn't be surprised he if said his fellow countryman was a player he based his game on, growing up) Looking forward to seeing more of Capoue (in midfield) next season.

Last edited: June 25, 2014
  7. bradspur New Member

Personally I feel capoue much better player than sandro.spurs supporters need to give him a chance.he is much better with the ball at his feet and in the air. He also drives the team forward whilst sandro does too much sideways passing

8. victor New Member

Sandro has proven, and has been one of Spurs best midfield players in EPL, better than in defensive play.
    PROVEN and one of SPURS favourite.
    KEEP HIM.

9. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Yes Sandro is a good player, Yes he is a battler, Yes he is a character. My concern is that he spends too much time on the injured list hindering consistancy for him and the team, and with contract running down and him looking for a move as long as the moneys right then do the deal and reinvest. Sandro is only a top player when he is fully fit and playing regularly something he has not been for a while he is replaceable maybe not his personality but his skill set is!

Ramos43 likes this.
  10. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Its sad to think a fans favourite such as Sandro would want to leave spurs but its very possible that the player feels its time for a new club after a disappointing season where the manager as well as some of the coaching staff not only criticised the player himself but also stated that holding MFs were unnecessary because they just sit back and do nothing. Id love to see Sandro stay at spurs as he is one of the best in the world in his role that I can only hope is a role that is important in MPs plans. He's also a great character and clubman and as such is important as the club needs a core of players with strong character, seasoned professionals who can bring the young and new players into the team and can give encouragement as well as a bullocking when needed, something that was missing last season. How many times did we see static players with their heads down. Sandro is a player that leads by example and would be a massive loss to the club.

I also rate Capoue as a fantastic talent and have no doubt he will be a great player and possibly a great box2box player at that, he's much better going forward than Sandro and can actually pick a pass and score a few as well, and yes I know that was only in the French league as some will be quick to point out but that's no reason to dismiss this players potential. If Poch can sort out this kids attitude we might just see a special player.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button