Report: van Gaal said NO to Spurs

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by COYSnoise, April 22, 2014.

Share This Page

1. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

I wasn't in any way suggesting that we appoint Laudrup as our next manager I was just making some comparisons between him and Pochetinno. If we were to go back a year and we were in the same position that is looking for a potential new manager, someone whose stock is on the rise, then the name Laudrup would have been the top of that list. he was even being touted as a possible replacement for wenger. forward one year to the present moment and the name Laudrup no longer excites or inspires and unfortunately will be seen as another teams cast off. Don't get me wrong I think Pochetinno is a fine manager im just not completely convinced that he's ready for spurs. of course if we hired him id be more than happy if he was to prove my doubts wrong but there is a huge risk factor with hiring a young and unproven at a high level manger, if that's the way we go I hope we find the next Rodgers or Martinez and not the next Laudrup.

2. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

talking of managers whos stock is on the rise, ive just read some information on another site about a very interesting potential new manager from Germany called Thomas Tuchel the current manager of FC Mainz, if you want to talk about football philosophy and ambition and vision then this one is definitely worth a look.

3. Ramos 43 Guest

If I were on the Spurs board, I would tell Levy to forget his short-lists and hire Pochettino, using EVERYTHING I have written about the subject/topic, on this forum, as my argument.

As far as the young Thomas Tuchel is concerned, I haven't followed his work closely enough to give any REAL opinion on him, other than appointing Thomas, at this stage in Spurs' development, would a MASSIVE gamble.

Don't get me wrong Tuchel is CLEARLY a talented coach to lead an unfancied Mainz side to fifth spot in the 2010/11 season but since then he has failed (which is probably the wrong word given the size of the club in question) to finish higher than 13th (out of 18), with his team currently sitting in 7th in the Bundesliga.

One thing I DO know about Tuchel is he likes to play with football 'the right/Spurs way'. I also know that he is VERY tactically aware and that he thinks deeply about the game. There is NO question that these are ALL admirable qualities, and Tuchel could very well go on to become 'the next big thing' in football management but I don't think Levy is in a position to take that risk at the moment.

There are sections of the media, and Spurs' so-called 'support', that are baying for blood at the moment, and bringing in a Head Coach with no EPL experience, 1 job managers to his name, and a limited amount of exposure to top-flight players (due to his lack of jobs and playing career) could be asking/begging for trouble, should the Germans Spur' career get off to a slow start .

We also MUST take into consideration the players attitudes towards a new appointment. I think it's fair to assume the squad is going to want someone REASONABLY familiar them (i.e. someone they have heard of) as that will breed an INSTANT enthusiasm/confidence throughout the squad, in what promises to be a testing summer.

Players are going to away with their countries, to be around team-mates who will be talking about CL football, ambitions at their respective clubs and attempting to encourage, no doubt, some Spurs players to join their teams. I think it is VITAL that the Tottenham lads have something to look forward to with regards to returning to the club for pre-season training. I am NOT sure bringing in a relatively unheard of manager is going to generate the NECESSARY 'buzz' amongst our players.

Personally speaking though, I would be excited at the prospect of hiring a young, gifted, intelligent coach like Tuchel, who appears forward-thinking, and possess a CLEAR philosophy.

But for the clubs, the boards, and the players sake, I think we should adopt a SLIGHTLY more cautious approach whilst looking for the next manager , creating a CLEAR list of criteria, and ensuring that MOST ,if not all, of the requirements are met.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button