Preview, team news : Can Spurs end Chelsea's unbeaten run?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Alex Nayler, January 3, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Alex Nayler New Member

Chelsea are on a run of blistering form, and looking to win a record 14th game in a row. However there aren't many places harder to get a result than White Hart Lane.

Chelsea sit top of the pile as we enter the second half of the season with Spurs a point off 4th spot. Both sides have been in good form, with Chelsea keeping 10 clean sheets in the last 13 games, and the Lilywhites picking up maximum points since the disappointing defeat to United.

Can Spurs stay in title race?
    Spurs will be desperate to close the gap between themselves and their London rivals to seven points and Harry Kane has warned Chelsea to not write Tottenham off. Kane told the club's website:

‘We know we can beat them. We just have to go out there and play well enough.’

Conte will be wary of the dangers the current Spurs side pose. Tottenham are in better form than the last time the sides met this season, scoring for fun over the festive period.

This will be his first trip to White Hart Lane as Chelsea boss though, and the Italian will have to contend with the Tottenham faithful on the blustery Wednesday evening.

“Tottenham vs Chelsea on same level as North London derby”
    Jan Vertonghen believes the rivalry between Tottenham and Chelsea has heightened in recent years so much that it is at the same level as with Arsenal.

The most recent instance of this in action came at the Lane late last season, where Spurs needed to win to keep any fleeting title hopes alive.

Instead, nine Tottenham players ended the game of bookings, and it began the run of poor results which saw them end up in third.

Who’s the main threat?
    Belgian centre-half Vertonghen will be back from suspension, as will Kyle Walker, which gives Spurs a full roster of defensive options to choose from.

This is a huge boost and Pochettino will surely be relieved, with the form Costa is in.

Former Arsenal front man Ian Wright, however, insists that the midfield battle will be where the game is won or lost.

With the likes of Kane, Dele, and Eriksen in fine form, Wright has instead labelled midfielder Mousa Dembele as the key danger man.

‘When Dembele is feeling fit and strong and on top of his game, there is nobody better in the Premier League at running at opposition players and putting the frighteners on them.’

The game will certainly be interesting and full of quality. It is one which is so hard to predict because both teams will be gunning for the win from the off. The two sides have been in excellent recent form and both will be desperate to get a result.

71yid and Bazza47 like this.
  2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

This season anything is possible with some strange results but Chelsea are currently the most cosustent team and as much as it pains me to say it, the team playing the most attacking and fluent football.
    Spurs have now started to take chances and more importantly create chances with width being created as the full backs are pushed up ahead of a back three.
    We are at home and let's not forget that this is the last time we will play the chavs at the Lane unless we come across them in the FA Cup, so the atmosphere will be white hot and we can use that to our advantage.

Walker and Vertonghen are both back and I think Trippier will rightly feel aggrieved to be dropped after such a stunning display at Watford last time out.

We have to go for the 3 points and I expect the other teams in and around the top 4 to be quietly hoping we do beat them. A Chelsea win would make the task of catching them harder for everyone but would all but end our own title hopes so if this are wasn't big enough, it's gargantuan now!!!

Lloris, Dier, Vertonghen, Wimmer, Rose, Walker, Wanyama, Dembele, Alli, Son, Kane.

Come on you Spurs!!

3. Big fran Guest

Great first piece mate and welcome to the site.
    Can't see us going in with a back 3 tbh and would be silly to do so as the chavs are far to well drilled in this system compared to ourselves. We had joy last game and should have been a couple in front at the break. The key v this system is attacking the flanks to keep the wingbacks in their own defensive third. We did that 1st half but failed in the 2nd period. One way to do this would to reward trippier with another start and walker in front which would give us more penetration and pace as well as defensive stability having two recognised fullbacks on one flank especially if Alonso is unavailable and a novice plays left flank. I can't see that happening so I'd say the team will pick itself apart from that right wing spot which will be between Sissoko and Son who will probably get the nod.
    Lloris walker rose jv Toby dembele wanyama eriksen alli son Kane.

4. burnt Well-Known Member

Huge opportunity for us now to lay down a marker , something we haven't been good at is taking these opportunities when they've presented themselves .... A chance to stop the Chavski and take advantage of the unexpected dropped points by our rivals ... This is a biggie for a lot of reasons .... Make no mistake it's a big ask but we have more then a fighting chance ... Keep our cool , keeping 11 on the pitch will be vital .. I think maybe Sissoko might start instead of Son otherwise I think Matt has nailed the starting lineup ... Sissoko is another who can be a bit rash so if he starts , he needs to keep his head ... I'm hopeful ... C.O.Y.S .....

Bazza47 and Jonesy like this.
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

A must win for me, especially with Pool and the lot down the road choking (as per usual come January!).

COYS, do us proud and take the 3 points.

Bang on burnt... We must keep 11 men on the pitch.

Controlled aggression this time, please!

6. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

This is SUCH a big game.

We've failed against Manure, Chelski and Arse N All this term, either by dominating them and then failing to capitalise, or making basic mistakes and paying for it. None of the aforementioned tonight please.

For me it's about absolutely no early bookings, stay ever so calm, and remember it's a 90 minute marathon, not a sprint.

I'd likely not start Son, rather Erikson. Might go with Dembele and Wanyama. Keep Sissoko and Son for later.

Massive effort tonight lads.

Come on You Spurs.

7. guesty Guest

no early bookings.....and Wanyama. ...in a game like this you can only be worried about him. all brute and no brains.
    The club web site match day program says the referee is Martin Atkinson. ....not sure that helps....but at least it isn't Mike Dean or Mark 'Man Utd' Clattenburg

Bazza47 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button