Poch's window of opportunity

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, June 21, 2015.

Share This Page

1. bigfran

bigfran Member

The current window is not only open, but represents the most important one in his career thus far, but more so, one that could shape his future as the credible top class young manager we were led to believed to have snared.

Many people including myself feel the Spurs hot seat came around a little too quickly and if not also too easily and the way the Saints have progressed since his departure may suggest the whole set up at St Mary's is the main reason the club is improving year on year starting with Nigel Adkins.

Belt tightening?

The first two signings indicate maybe a change in transfer policy and that the money for top signings simply isn't there or being put aside towards the stadium.

Trippier and Wimmer young(ish) players bought with a view to potential to develop and under £5m apiece and I expect similar type of signings to follow with maybe one marquee and plenty of departures.

Key Areas

Although MP has strengthened the defensive positions first and foremost and last years goals against tally would suggest that was the area in most need of repair I actually feel the most crucial signing could be the centre mid spot.

In hindsight Schneiderlin should have been signed last summer having watched him closely over the last ten months. Not only does this guy screen the back four to immense effect winning tackles, headers and interceptions he moves the ball through the lines quickly with a tremendous range of passing and diagonal switch play. Also he added one or two goals from his previous campaigns making him the perfect lynchpin that covers every single base.

I think he will prove to be out of our reach, but the fact that the big four astonishingly seem to be unsure over his price tag could work in our favour given his relationship with our head coach stranger things could happen.

A cheaper but similar option is Cabaye who offers much of the same yet adds more goals and a set piece wizard I'd like to see the two signed.

Help for Harry

Obviously a back up option for Kane is urgently needed preferably one who can either partner or come in and provide respite for our talisman.

One who could take up a variety of roles as a second striker or out wide would be the type we would target which is why I'm sure Ings was high on the shopping list but unfortunately went elsewhere.

Remy could be an unlikely option given our relationship with that mob whilst Berahino in a cash plus player deal has been mooted and would be my preferred first choice.

Summary

Whatever happens regarding who comes in and who comes out MP has to get it right this time following lackluster signings Stambouli, Fazio and Davies to a lesser extent as come mid August this will be the Argentines team and no longer the offerings of previous managers failings.

This has to be done by balancing the books, trimming a bloated squad, lowering the age of the squad, improving the style of play, bringing through the youth whilst trying to reach the holy grail of CL football.

Tough ask. Good luck Poch!

notnats likes this.
  2. Jim Guest

Sorry to be pedantic but the window isn't open till July

3. bigfran

bigfran Member

Thought we just unveiled two players Jim!

4. Josh d Guest

Agree Poch has been fast-tracked into the Spurs job with few credentials beyond keeping Espanyol up. His defensive stats have been appalling wherever he has been, and I'm not sure what the grounds are for believing he will return Spurs to the top 4.

Felon82 and bigfran like this.
  5. bigfran

bigfran Member

I think its the growing trend josh to promote these modern young coaches with these certain 'styles' of football is high pressing high tempo tiki taka call it what u like.. We've just seen much lauded other fast tracked managers such as Rodgers avb Martinez all struggle while experienced campaigners pardew allardyce pullis get little or no credit. I'm sure its just a fad.
    Going bk to our own house though that's why is essential for MP to get this window right to save his spurs career and potentially
    Management career full stop. He's been given a golden opportunity here deservedly or not to take it with both hands. If he wastes it he will be falling a couple of rungs down the managerial ladder and may never recover.

6. bigfran

bigfran Member

Defensively we have been poor with unenforced errors a plenty but I don't feel they have received enough protection from the mid def two who haven't screened well enough or looked after the ball good enough for a team aspiring top four. Bentaleb is growing on me but unconvinced by mason. Worried that dembele is deemed not good enough yet courted by the best coach in the world. I think a right sided centre half to start is a necessity as although dier has impressed me he has probably started 20 games more than expected for a new player so young to the EPL although if you take away his full bk starts its more realistic...
    Winner being left sided I expect to be more a player of potential to understudy JV but Trippier will be a starter spelling trouble for Walker I fear.

notnats likes this.
  7. jammydodja Guest

Can't agree with u more Josh. We need a decent defensive mid to properly screen the back 4.
    Pity Song's a gooner!

8. ggg Guest

Goalie to replace Hugo who is Def leaving. Defensive midfielder with experience to go into first xi and help mentor bentaleb and mason. Right winger to replace Lennon and Townsend. Creative midfielder to compete with Ericsson. Two strikers to replace the two muppets.

On top of that 10 players need to be sold.

This is going to be the best window ever.

Coys!

9. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Schneiderlin & Cabaye, Alerdweild and Benteke, then we are a totally different outfit.
    4 quality players desperately needed and a real statement of intent.
    Theres at least 10 current passengers that could fund a large chunk of these, with the rest of the squad some promotions from the academy.
    We need a quality 1st team for big/important games, a Second team of potential for League cup & FA cup, then a mixture of 1st &2nd team for the Europa league rotated well to give the experience a rest and the potential solid players to learn with.
    As promising as the likes of Dier, Mason, Bentaleb, Trippier, Wimmer are they are not going to bridge the ever widening gap.
    And any form of injury or discontinued form from HK and were ****ed.

10. ggg Guest

Throw in a quality winger like Salah and a goalie to replace Hugo and this is awesome

11. big fran Guest

Would love them four felon but I think benteke maybe outside our price range unless we do sell at least 7 of the 10 Muppet's...

12. big fran Guest

Where would you play benteke though and in which system?

13. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

Schneiderlin & Cabaye, Alerdweild and Benteke???
    You're all dreaming aren't you? What makes you think they'd want to come to our little club ??

14. Felon82 Well-Known Member

It does throw up a problem Kane & Benteke but we play near a 60 game season there's plenty of games to share about.
    The problem with a 1 up top system is you can't just run 1 striker into the ground and have a sub standard replacement if or when they're knackered.
    We need 2 big powerful strikers to share the burden and both Kane n Benteke fit the bill, of course when we're in need of a goal what's wrong with throwing both up top to bully defences?

15. Gavspurs Guest

I hate the way we always find fault in our manager. MP is doing a great job after the mess the club was in and with other people's players. He needs a few years to get players who fit his style of play and get rid of the players we have who think they are superstars but fail consistently to show any worth to club. He also has to do this on a budget and with all the pressure of a chairman like levy and a lot of fickle fans. Support MP and the team instead of slagging them off. We need some major surgery to the team but I'm much more confident now that academy players who show ability, heart and ambition to do well are getting in the team in place of £20m 'superstars' who care more about their next transfer than doing well for Spurs.

16. big fran Guest

Maybe cos they all smaller clubs than us ..

17. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Although I do sympathise with your point Deggs, We have to strive for the best and IMO if we sell a proper vision to them they are all achievable with out us 'doing a Leeds' and would all be an upgrade or big contributor to taking us in the direction we should be aiming to go.

Plenty of fans may accept/support this conveyor belt of cheap 'potential' but the harsh reality is that those we are chasing are buying world class ready made players and are achieving with them. The 4 I've mentioned are just below that world class bracket but are exactly the type of consistent delivering performers that we desperately need.

A club of our size is a step up for all bar maybe Cabaye from PSG but approaching his golden years and surplus he would be a great 4 year swan song for Spurs.

We may not be in the super rich category but we're certainly not paupers (as much as our owners would like us to believe). These are exactly the type of players we need to kick on and with 2 at a decent price and 3 of them all offering a sell on value to me it's a no brainer.

I would more than anything like a big cull of the accumulated dross and some proper intent/hope giving signings. Although I'm not for a minute convinced with the powers that be we will be doing anything of the sort.

Under Enic our club motto should be changed to-

Austerity est facere

18. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

I appreciate what you say, but my main concern is how many of our players end up at Manchester !!!!

19. Jonesy Guest

Hugo MUST NOT go; irreplaceable and should give us another season (then go with our blessing if we miss out on the top 4). Bobby Brown Vorm ain't good enough I'm afraid. As for Kane, he will be there next season - regardless of Arry Redknapp's view!

Plenty to get shot of.... As a minimum, Chiriches, Stambouli, Kaboul, Paulinho, Fazio and sadly Soldado.

In, Alderweireld, Benteke, Mirallas/Salah and Schneiderlin...

Get the business done early Danny boy... PLEASE!!!

20. Fatspurs Guest

We're not gonna get scheiderlein,benteke no chance. We need to go after realistic targets like cabaye,nzonzi,Hernandez, and if we sell loris we should get januzaj, a young ,then we have a solid team.

....................................vorm....................................
    Trip..............dier...................vert..................rose
    .................................nzonzi..........................
    ..........................................dembele.......................
    Lamela....................................................eriksen
    ...................................Kane............................
    ..............................Hernandez.......................

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button