Pochettino wants to know more about Spurs job

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, May 14, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

So the most unsurprising news in football finally happened and yet again we are managerless. After Redknapp was sacked, Levy said the club needed to go in a new direction and at this moment in time, I am not entirely sure what that direction actually is.

Whatever it is, there are names for the top job being bandied around all over the place but the favourite is Pochettino from Southampton and according to the Guardian today, it would appear he is open to talks with the White Hart Lane club.

Play your cards right

Southampton are supposedly holding talks with Pochettino to convince him to stay, but the problem they are going to have is convincing him to stay when at least two of their best players, Lallana and Shaw look like being on the move.

It is here that I wonder about Pochettino and the Spurs. If he came to us, he will have an undoubtedly talented squad to work with, and anything better than this season would be seen as a success in certain quarters.

However, if Eriksen has another good season, come next summer, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Barcelona will no doubt be knocking on our door for one of our top players again.

If Pochettino sits down with Mr Levy in the coming days, I would assume he will want assurances that his best players will not be sold. If we look at history, this is an assurance that would be very hard to give and in that scenario, I would be concerned that he would either not come to us at all, or even worse, come and then leave after a season.

Youth policy

Pochettino is a great advert for the nurturing of youth players and with the set up at Spurs, he would have a very good development set up at his disposal. I think we should not forget that since 2008, Tim Sherwood was instrumental in that progression, so whatever we think of him, good or bad, he has left a positive legacy at the club.

Pochettino has been responsible for bringing the best out of his English players and Shaw and Lallana have a lot to thank him for being on the plane to Brazil this summer. If Pochettino could have a similar effect at Spurs, then the future would be bright indeed, although I do not believe he wants to nurture players and then sell them on to have to start again.

Pricey

Pochettino is evidently keen to keep his coaching staff, and that is no surprise, but according to today's reports, that does not come cheap. For his backroom staff, Levy will be looking at shelling out £4 million on top of whatever the Saints want for Pochettino himself.

Levy will have to be certain that this is the right man now and for the long term future of the club. The last thing we need is for another compensation pay out to be required. One thing is certain though, Pochettino is going to be cheaper than De Boer simply because FDB has a contract until 2017 with Ajax and to prize him away is going to be very costly indeed.

Transfers

Pochettino has worked with a director of football which could make working with one at Spurs easier, but according to reports, one of his issues at Southampton is that he wants full control over all transfers. I just cannot see him being granted that at Spurs, unless Baldini is sacked as well, but considering he was present at the meeting with Sherwood, I think that is highly unlikely.

A fly on the wall

The majority of bloggers across this and other sites seem fairly evenly torn between Pochettino and De Boer and both have qualities that any premier league club would welcome.

It is currently only Speculation that Pochettino is open to talks with Spurs, but if and when they do happen, I would love to be a fly on the wall.

This is going to be an interesting summer again at the Lane. Let's all hope that, at last, and after nine managers in 13 years, we get the right man who is given time and full control of the football matters.

As ever...Come on you Spurs!!

Kid-e1 likes this.
  2. rospur New Member

Couldn't agree more with the sentiment of this post,I think we're all sick of this continual turmoil. I have lost all faith in Levy and think his agenda is a long way from that of the fans but I do still cling on to the hope,however ridiculous it might be that Levy is actually a genuine fan and has just been unlucky or ill advised. Yeah I know. Please just choose someone who will give us decent football and make us competitive. Too much to ask?

Kid-e1 and Mattj78 like this.
  3. big fran Guest

Agreed I would be happy with both but as ever when appointing a manager unfortunately there cannot be any guarantees but one thing is for sure it will be easier on the eye than AVBs tenure yet not as gung-ho and tactically inept as Harry or Timmy boy... What us as fans must do is unite,be patient and afford the new regime time to build the club and more importantly the board and Levy must do likewise .

Kid-e1 likes this.
  4. Chris Guest

Totally agree. Levy has to get this one right, and be prepared to stick with his man even if results go through a bad spell - which all teams go through. If we're in a similar situation this time next year then I don't think Levy could survive. Pochettino would be right to ask questions but I doubt there's a possibility of him turning it down, I would just hope he would speak English publicly (apparently he is quite good), couldn't stand another juande ramos again

Kid-e1 likes this.
  5. Ramos43 Guest

The RUMOURS, because that is all any of it is until its confirmed, seem to suggest that Levy is holding out to speak to Ancellotti, perhaps, after the CL final, depending on which way it goes.

If Real lose that, then it could very well be adiós Carlo which could leave the door open for Spurs to make a move...

But in truth, I WOULDN'T bother. Already set on the idea of Pochettino coming in, and bar Klopp or Guardiola announcing their interest in the post, I would struggle to divert from my way of thinking. Personally, I'd rather we hire the Argentinian tomorrow, and get him working, a.s.a.p!!!

Some managers just fit certain clubs, and I am in no doubt that Mauricio Pochettino is a PERFECT fit for Tottenham, right now. Not going to repeat myself now, and tell you why. But I am in the process of writing an article which should be published soon, that will share with you my thoughts on his potential appointment...

If worse comes to worse and Mauricio gets the job and fails, at least you get to have a laugh at my expense, eh!....See, it's a win-win....

But you have to admit, 'Tottenham Pochspur', does have a certain appeal to it!

6. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't laughter at anyone's expense if it affected the future of OUR club. Whoever it is, whatever happens, I think we all agree, levy lovers and haters alike, that this has to be got right this time. If it goes wrong this time, I think even hardened levy fans may have to accept that it is time for a change. This is his last chance..surely?

rospur and Kid-e1 like this.
  7. Trigspur Guest

Been here so many times before with this 'we have to get it right this time' comment that it's akin to a gambler constantly losing money and always believing he will win the next bet. Losing and being broke forever. How many more chances does levy get!! Bit pissed off as had to write the name of our chairman again to comment on this article. I'm sure he's set up this website. Hence the reason all his statements seem to regurgitate what we've said but with a positive slant!!! Anyway regards the article. Very well written and couldn't agree more with points raised. I honestly don't know who should be the next manager as the cynic in me says levy will get rid when things aren't going well but he must be given time. Yes Daniel that's right, time!! I think pochettino is very clever when it comes to his conferences as he clearly knows the media will twist anything he says to sell copy so uses an interpreter. I'd also heard he speaks very good English! If it is him I really hope he has the same impact as a certain little Argentinian had all those years ago!! Oh I miss you mauricio!! Only kidding you all know who!!

8. stevethespur Active Member

We have a certain argentinian history and if he comes may the tika tape flow and the tango begin ! What else as fans can we do but get behind him and hope. Whoever gets the job we have to give the guy our support, he will only be a human being after all ! Totallay back next manager. And good luck Tim, thanks for all the passion and effort in developing the club for many years. Your a spurs man ! Coys.

9. Alex in NY Guest

I think Levy only wants LVG. It was reported that during Levy's meeting with Van Gaal the only obstacle for LVG to take the Spurs job would be United to let go Moyes. Well, it did happen. Now Levy has to wait fot Man side to make a next move. And so do we. Neither Maurisio or Frank will ever come to reality. Spurs will be handed to LVG and, if not, to either Benitez or Moyes.

10. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Most have said all along, myself included, that we will need a new manager ASAP after Tim. But most have also said that this is one that Levy cant get wrong, so can we have it both ways ? should Levy hire Poch ( I don't like mopo I cant take a name like that seriously ) because he's interested ? Of course he's interested this would be a big step up for him, maybe a massive step up. Im still concerned he's a huge risk with his inexperience at this level as far as I know he's never had a euro comp before, and really, what has he done? took soton to 8th place, Steve Clarke took WBA to 8th last year, what about him?
    I just don't see him as Levy's first choice, and I don't think the new manager will be resolved quickly. I think Levy will want more experience and will be waiting on possibilities like Anchellotti, Rafa and maybe LVG. Maybe manu are also waiting on Anchellotti, so then what with LGV ? maybe Anchellotti to spurs , what about Rafa? All very confusing but all im saying is that I cant see Poch getting hired in the next few days, if Levy truly needs to get this one right then how can he overlook the possibilities of Anchellotti and Rafa. for what its worth my preference is still FDB, but as frustrating as it is to wait and guess I really don't think this will be resolved soon.

11. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

It's interesting how the debacle and dross served up at WHL has rendered me indifferent to all of the manager debate.

Who the f'k knows who the right man is. Who is right to work with Levy. Pocchetino, De Boer, Martinez, who really knows who can get the best out of a poorly assembled squad of players.

As we're likely not to spend much, even though we've not spent much, net, for years, we'll wait all through May, June, July into the seasons start and still be nowhere on the key issues. Centre back, Left back, striker, left sided midfielder. Do we want to suffer 6-0, 1-5, 4-0 again. Then FF's Levy get of your backside and do something NOW!!!!

COYS

Felon82 likes this.
  12. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

That's FFS Levy GET OFF YOUR HARRIS.......sorry needed to add more substance.

Can our esteemed leader Blofeld please get his R's in gear......let's try that.....

Mattj78 likes this.
  13. johnnyhrvat Guest

I think he wants assurances that he will not be leaving a good job only to end up, in a couple of years, working in war-torn Ukraine (if it is still war-torn and if it is still Ukraine at that time). We seem to be very good at poaching other teams' managers only to dispel them after a short time to hellholes such as St.Petersburg (not poached) or Loftus Road. The biggest challenge of managing Spurs is always having to look over one's shoulder to see if Bruté is lurking.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button