PLAYER RATINGS: Stoke 0-1 Spurs

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by COYSnoise, April 26, 2014.

Share This Page

1. spurredon Guest

Perceptive analysis!
    Pity Sherwood obviously doesn't watch/study/learn how top teams play. Our dreaded rivals against Athletico last week and Liverpool yesterday comes to mind! Even Barca nearly blew it yesterday playing their high line defence against Villareal. He is a 'one trick pony' I am afraid.

2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

With all this talk of yet another new manager, I have a thought for all you Spurs fans. Whether you liked arry or not, we finished 4th, 5th and 4th. He was then sacked and replaced by AVB. The exact words from Daniel Levy were as follows, "it was felt by the board that the club needs to go in a different direction."
    Under AVB we finished 5th and this season it looks like we will finish 6th or even 7th.
    This is not an opinion, it is a fact, so the new direction that Daniel Levy wanted was to go backwards. That is what has happened, what is happening and is likely to continue to happen. And still people think Levy is some messiah!? Bizarre.

Deggsy56 and Felon82 like this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

This summer is make or break, we will lose Lloris, jan and possibly sandro who comes into replace these has to be an upgrade else again we will go further back down the league. The metal shown in our side is pretty feeble and if we dont get a decent start we could be in big trouble next season. Unless we get the right manager in and spend some money wisely expect to go backwards as we have.

Deggsy56 likes this.
  4. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

Hear Hear! Exactly! But sadly i think we are gonna be disappointed for another season and remain also-rans for a good while yet, with the current setup.

5. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Its true we dont have many box to box players in the traditional sense that is MFers that are strong in defence as well as attack and can cover every blade of glass. in that sense I think calling Paulinho a box to box player flatters him. he's a utility type not realy suited to a 4-4-2 set up. Dembele and Capoue are box to box. Capoue in his previous campain scored 9 and assisted 3.Holtby also has the potential.

6. Ramos43 Guest

I see your point about Capoue, but I would argue that one, reasonably impressive scoring/assists record, season is not, necessarily, enough for a player to earn the title of a box-to-box midfielder. I agree to some extent that Ettienne COULD have the potential to evolve into that particular role, given time, in the same way Patrick Vieira did during his time at Arsenal.

Dembele definitely DOES strike me as someone who does have the ability to REALLY effect the course of a game in both areas of the field. But I do wonder if Spurs, ESPECIALLY this season, are demanding too much from the Belgian from a defensive standpoint point.

I think that playing in a diamond-shaped 3, in the centre of midfield, with Sandro at the base, Mousa in front of him and partnered by a box-2-box man with a great deal of tactical awareness, stamina and an good team ethic , Dembele would have more of a license to focus on the creative side of his game, freeing him up somewhat, to do more, or less as he pleases. For example:

Sandro

Capoue/Paulinho Dembele

Len/Tow/Lem Eriksen

In theory, Paulinho SHOULD be perfect for that box-2-box role, with the attributes he has REGULARLY shown for Brazil over the last couple of years. Physically capable of fulfilling the demands required for that role, the Brazilian has shown at international level, a GREAT deal of tactical awareness (remember his display against Spain in the Confed Cup?) and the capacity to pick a pass ,and score a goal.

Lets not forget, this was a player that was voted 2nd/3rd best player in that particular comp, witch was/is an impressive accolade considering the standard of player in that tournament.

I also believe that playing Dembele from that deeper role would allow the Belgian not only to impose himself physically in the middle of the park, but it would also allow him to make though driving runs from range/distance, which was something he done so well for Fulham, and in his first year at Spurs.

As Tottenham's MOST complete midfielder, Mousa is a player that, for me, NEEDS to be involved in matches as MUCH as possible...as on his day, he can, virtually, be unstoppable. I feel that playing him as an orthodox no 10, means you lose at LEAST 30% of what Mousa can do with is aggression, ability to use/create space and calming influence, such an asset, in the heart of midfield.

Can Holtby play in that formation? Yes...but I believe he is better used as an ORTHODOX no10, pulling the strings in the final third, where his EXCEPTIONAL passing ability can cause maximum damage. The German is UNDOUBTEDLY Spurs most INCISIVE passer, and as such, he needs to be as close to the oppositions penalty area as possible, to REALLY reap the rewards of his vision and passing range/accuracy.

One thing IS for sure, whoever takes over as Spurs manager is getting an EXCELLENT Spurs squad, with PLENTY of potential!

The FACT that Spurs can match last season record number of points if we win our last 2 games (WITHOUT the services of G.Bale) PROVES that, although it has been a frustrating campaign many levels, the club ISN'T in the state of 'crisis' many so-called 'supporters' would lead you to believe was the case.

With a bit of fine tuning, some proper organisation (from a tactical perpective) and an actual method implemented to the squad/teams playing style, I FULLY expect to see this Spurs team improve SIGNIFICANTLY on this years showing.

7. notnats

For me Capoue has the potential to be a brilliant MFer switching from DM to box to box when needed. we all saw him surge foward inhis first few games and that he could actualy pick out a pass. 9 goals, 3 assists. no fluke. weve only seen him as a DM and at CB. I hope this one stays we havnt seen the best of this guy yet. same goes for Dembele, we know theres a dynamic powerful ball runner somewhere but he often looks workman like, grafting away but only slowing the play down maybe to defensive. id like the next manager to use the squad that we have and play a 4-3-3. why else did we buy all these MFers ? three in the middle made up of Capoue and Dembele as the box to box and Holtby as a deep lying play maker with the work rate to put in a defensive shift and move foward. Eriksen, Lamela and a striker up top. no convential wingers good enough in this squad so it would be imperitive for good FBs for the width. now all I have to do is convince the next manager.

8. Ramos43 Guest

Does that mean that you would drop Sandro? I agree with you thoughts on Capoue but I'm not sure he has the composure or the ability to REALLY do damage around the oppositions box when/if given the chance. Would be VERY interested to find out though. A midfield consisting of Capoue, Sandro and Dembele would be IMMENSE, especially away from home. Power, pace, aggression, technique and a bit of guile to boot....just a shame we didn't see that trio in action more often this season. Add the speed, craft, vision, movement, directness and finesse, the likes of Townsend, Lamela, Chadli, Holtby, Lennon and Sigurdsson can provide ahead of it and you begin to ask why NEITHER of our managers chose to experiment with 4-3-3 on a more regular basis.

It is almost MIND-BLOWING when you think about it!

And I TRULY believe that it is that kind of negligence, from the management teams, that have seen the majority of our new signings fail to flourish. AVB and Sherwood just didn't/don't seem to have ANY idea of how to best use the players at their disposal, which not only hindered the individuals in question, but impacted on the team as a whole.

How can it be that ALL of the seven players were STARS for their respective, former, clubs (and countries) and ,yet, most of them have struggled to replicate that form in a Spurs shirt?

I am not buying that it is simply, ONLY, about settling into a new league, new team, new environment, etc...The truth is, the managers failed to help them do any of those things, by failing to recognise how to best use them within their chosen systems/tactics. AVB, in my opinion, had Spurs playing some good stuff at times this season, and last, but he failed to adopt ANYTHING resembling a plan B ,when plan A did not work....It was a case of 4-2-3-1 or bust!

That was CRIME enough deserving of the sack, when you consider the quality, and depth of the squad he had to work with. In the end, he had COMPLETELY lost the plot, choosing the Etihad as the place to hand Lamela his first EPL start (at the expense of an in-form Townsend), and the arena in which to (desperately) recall Ade - a man who was in his mind, a disruptive influence... You couldn't write it!

I have said it before, the players have CLEARLY underperformed as a unit/individuals (on the whole) this season, but the managers, we have had, did them no favours with some SHOCKING errors in judgement, and a lack of basic football concepts/practices.

9. Mattj78

Who chose those managers? Again?
    The managers have had some strange tactics but the constant changing of the team week in week out has been ludicrous. I hate it when managers says they do not know their best eleven - if they don't know that, then should not be managing at all.

10. notnats

All those MFers mentioned would be immense in a three man mf. imagine playing away at anfield with sandro and capoue holding and dembele or holtby bursting forward. I think a few people have written off our squad and new players a bit too early. this year was always going to need time to gel but the ridiculous amount of injuries and manager disruptions have made it impossible to see this team work as a unit. the team has been completly mismanaged on and off the field. I just cant get my head around the number of injuries that appear to have been sustained off field. whats going on at the new state of the art training facility.

11. notnats

Apparently we are ranked at number 11 on the rich list. where does our manager rank on the managerial list I wonder. with a bit of tweaking this could be the best this club has ever seen, how it ended up in the less than capable hands of tim sherwood is beyond belief almost comical, the same goes for the back room staff are they capable of looking after such a complex training facility. I dont want to wind up the levy outers, but the next managerial appointment is one that he cannot afford to get wrong.

12. Ramos43 Guest

Agree with all of that. Spurs didn't by players from obscure clubs, or countries, when the spent the G.Bale money which is the reason MOST, if not ALL, of us were EXTREMELY optimistic about this season. We're talking about Spanish, Argentinian, Belgian, Brazilian and French internationals here, most of whom could be considered regulars (certainly as far as the squads are concerned). Chiriches looks like a SLIGHTLY rough diamond, and Eriksen has been one of the brightest young prospects/players in world football for years now... So, as far as I'm concerned, the idea that Spurs brought badly is just RIDICULOUS!!!

Like you say, what we have struggled to do is integrate them properly in the side due to a number of different reasons.

Nobody talks too much about the injuries Spurs have suffered, but are quick to make excuses for other clubs (i.e. Man city - Toure, Kompany, Aguero....Arsenal -Walcott, Ramsay, Ozil) when their best players get injured.

I suppose it isn't REALLY any wonder why both our managers seemed to be CLUELESS about what exactly their best teams/systems would look like.... because they NEVER got the chance to see it in action.

Rose, Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Kaboul, Chiriches, Capoue, Paulihno, Sandro, Eriksen, Townsend, Lennon, Chadli, Dembele, Sigurdsson, Lamela and Soldado have all suffered SIGNIFICANT injuries (at least 3/4 weeks+ absence) at different times in the season. That's the MAJORITY of the 1st team SQUAD that that has missed a substantial amount of football this season.

When you look at it like that, you COULD say Spurs have done well to be able to equal last seasons record points tally.

As you say, sustaining THAT many injuries in one season can't be purely bad luck....can it!!!!?

On the flip-side, having Kaboul back and playing in consecutive games is a MASSIVE boost. Hopefully, he can finish the season strongly and earn a new contract, because once he is FULLY back-up to speed (after a good pre-season) there is no doubt that he is the clubs MOST COMPLETE defender. Will be like a new signing for the next campaign, should he come through a full pre-season. At the moment, he still looks like he is trying to shake off a bit of rust.

13. Mattj78

Time to gel? I don't recall man city's team needing much time to gel before winning the fa cup and then league. All this time to gel Bollocks is an excuse and nothing more. Play players in the right positions. Simples!

14. Mattj78

When there are that many injuries then something is wrong with the fitness and coaching staff. Most of the injuries this year haven't even happened during a game!! And even I can't blame levy for that one!!

15. Mattj78

Kaboul? Seriously? Against Liverpool he was dreadful. He constantly gives the ball away. As for shaking off rust, he is nearly rusted away!

16. notnats

Matt - did I just read that right, something is wrong at the club and you cant blame Levy ? sorry mate but your slipping.

17. Ramos43 Guest

Wait....a post where Matt cannot find fault with our Chairman, and another where their is NO mention of Levy at all!!!

Well, that confirms it....Wonders, truly do, never cease!

One bad game doesn't make you a bad player, last time I checked. I think that given the fact Kaboul has barely kicked a ball (in competitive action) over the last 18 months means it's perfectly UNDERSTANDABLE that he is still searching for his best form.

What the back four NEEDED at Anfield, against a free-scoring Liverpool side, was some sort of PROTECTION ahead of them. What they got was Sigurdsson and Bentaleb! The defence was left exposed against the highest scorers in the EPL, and it showed. The word incompetent doesn't do that particular decision justice.

All the while, the two players capable of preventing such a occurrence, Sandro and Dembele, were sat on the bloody bench!!!

Oh...it's been a funny ol' season.

18. Mattj78

Yes, It is true, I can avoid Levy now and again but my view on him will never change, don't worry about that folks!!
    I think the best thing to do with this season is consign it to the dustbin and erase it from our memories. I can't see the end of season highlights DVD's selling too well this year!!
    Levy aside, we really must get things right this Summer. There can be no excuses next season at all, new manager, new players etc.
    Get it wrong this time and there really will need to be a change. We need a settled squad, play at pace and need a top striker proven in the prem who will get at least 20 goals a season. Maybe Soldado will do it next year? Who knows but let's enjoy the Summer, watch England play a few games and then say it was too hot, and then start again in August!!!

As ever, COYS!!!;):cool:

19. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Its great to see Madrid doing so well out of out partnership.

20. Ramos43 Guest

That could quite possibly be my favourite comment of yours, yet, Matt. Constructive, valid and verging on optimistic, opinions...Perhaps my post are having more of an effect on you than I thought!!! .lol.

You want get ANY opposition from me on that last post, my friend... COMPLETELY AGREE!!!

COYS

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button