PLAYER RATINGS: Spurs 2:1 Southampton

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Jack Kennedy, March 19, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Jack Kennedy

Jack Kennedy New Member

Spurs ground out an important win vs an impressive Southampton side in a game of two halves with Tottenham looking irresistible in the first half and then shaky in the second. Goals from Christian Eriksen and Dele Alli made sure they made it 10 home wins on the trot despite James Ward-Prowse’s early second half strike.

Hugo Lloris – 6 – A quiet enough afternoon for the skipper with one notable save from distance from Cedric.

Kyle Walker – 6 – Compared to his usual high standard this season, this was one of Kyle’s more disappointing matches. Sloppy in possession and didn't make as many forward runs especially in the 2nd half.

Eric Dier – 7 – Looks a different player when playing in a back 3 to a back 4. Good in possession and calm when called upon.

Toby Alderweireld – 6 – Would have got a rating of 7 or even 8 if it wasn't for his error for Southampton’s goal. Looked an easy clearance but he missed the ball. Other than that it was another classy performance by the big Belgian.

Jan Vertonghen – 8 – My Man of the Match. Jan looks in his element on the left of the back 3. Pushed forward on attack and defended brilliantly when needed. Brilliant performance.

Ben Davies – 7 – Another very solid display from the Welsh left back. He has really grown into the wing back role in the absence of Danny Rose. Very capable deputy.

Victor Wanyama – 6 – Much like Walker, this was not Vic’s best performance. Received a yellow card and gave the ball away a number of times. Still protect the back three extremely well but not a performance to his high standards.

Mousa Dembele – 7 - One of our most consistent players. Week in week out he puts in a brilliant shift. Glides by players with ease. Set up our first goal with a wonderful turn.

Christian Eriksen – 7 – Played some phenomenal football in the first half. Picking out some ridiculously good passes and was rewarded with a lovely goal which he just guided the ball into the bottom corner from 25 yards with his weak foot. Faded out of the match hugely in the second half and was a bit disappointing on the ball.

Dele Alli – 7 – Another game, another Dele Alli goal. Dele stepped up in the absence of Harry Kane and coolly stroked home a penalty which he won himself.

Heung Min Son – 6 – A bit of a frustrating day for Sonny who had to fill the big boots of Harry Kane and lead the line today. Missed an early chance and didn't get much of a sniff after.

Winks - N\A
    Trippier - N\A
    Janssen - N\A

Mixed feelings after this match. Brilliant first half and after we got our second you would expect us to get a few more like vs West Brom and Stoke earlier in the season.
    An uncharacteristic mistake at the back gifted Southampton a way back into the match but we defended well in the end.
    Our attack was disappointing in the 2nd half however.

2. Chris#2 Guest

Eriksen my MOTM - deserves an 8. Yes, he faded in the last 25 min, but at that time, the entire team was not going all-in during attacks. Could have gotten several assists today - great passing.

Wanyama deserves a 7 - he might have lost the ball a few times, but he really ties the defensive midfield together.

Deggsy56 likes this.
  3. Dave T Hill Guest

no marks for the subs? (Good or bad)

Winks and Trippier both on for best part of 15 mins. Winks' fresh legs gave the team much needed energy. Granted Janssen wasn't introduced until the 86th min but even he got involved when he came on.

Overall I tend to agree with your other marks.

4. Del Guest

Not the best game we played but jst deserved it. Felt winks came on and played well and I do feel sorry for Jannsen thought he deserved more playing time after last weeks goal ! COYS

Felon82 likes this.
  5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Perhaps at 2 up and cruising the lads are saving themselves for the home straight.

Thought it was professional without being spectacular, saints are a decent side.
    With Scum getting beat and now City and pool dropping points, 3 points for us was the main thing.
    Securing that top 4 finish is getting closer.

6. Mick-T Guest

Was anyone else screaming at alli in frustration today? Apart from winning and scoring his penalty I thought he was lacs a daisy and generally awful today. Winks was great when he came on, but trippier was bloody awful too and I'm normally a big fan of his. Thank god eriksen stepped up to the plate in the first half today, he was sublime. Second half was torture to watch. But a great 3 points going into the international break, was a must win game and we did it. COYS

7. Mattj1978 Guest

wow! Some incredibly harsh marks. 6 for Lloris? Dembele one of our most consistent performers? He was okay today but overall this season has been lacklustre and Winks should be starting right now.
    We were strong in the first half but very sloppy in the second half. We could have drawn but hung on in there.
    At times we were quick and fluid, at others slow and passive.

The league title is gone but we have to secure that second place and win the FA cup now.
    We can do it and I'm confident we will do it!!!

As ever, COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!!

8. barney Guest

I WOULD NOT LIKE TO SEE THAT GAME AGAIN TALK ABOUT DONT PANIC MR MANNARING

9. Dembele! Outstanding...always and would walk into any team in the division, have you watched us play once

10. Mattj1978 Guest

Dembele is a good player but would walk into any team in the division? Have you watched other teams play?
    Outstanding always? Nah.

11. Big fran Guest

Diff class is dembele. Best centre mid in league for me only kante comes close.

12. GH10 Guest

On his day Dembele is one of, if not the best CM in the Prem.

I'm not talking about stats as you can use stats to back up any argument. Statistically this season Pogba has performed better than Kante, but given the choice who would you take? (Kante, obvs)

Dembele doesn't rack up the goals and assists, but what he brings to the team is vital. It speaks volumes that Poch changed our tactics when Dembele was injured/serving a ban at the start of the season — he is the most vital cog (apart from Kane maybe?)

He's the ultimate box-to-box player, strength, close control, excellent dribbling. Nearly all of Spurs' side have said Dembele is the most talented player in the squad at present.

As for the argument he'd walk into any PL side at present, I have to agree. Let's focus on the top 6:

Chels — he'd play ahead of Matic + Fabregas
    City — he'd play ahead of Toure/ Fernando/ Fernandinho
    Arsenal — pretty much everyone (Ramsey, Coquelin, Xhaka, Oxo cube etc.)
    Liverpool — ahead of Can, Wijnaldum and Lucas
    United — ahead of Fellaini, Herrera, Carrick.

Not that crazy really? Better still, ask yourself — who out of those players would you swap for Dembele if given the chance? My answer, NONE.

Harsh, but I think appreciating what Dembele brings to the team is the difference between being a fan of football and someone who understand football ;-)

13. burnt Well-Known Member

Job done as far as that one goes ... It wasn't great and was a nervy enough last half hour but another 3 points in the bag and that's all that matters at this stage ... That was vital with so many other results going our way ... Stating the bleeding obvious but it's going to be difficult without Kane , saying that the fixtures could be more difficult ( famous last words ) .... Nothing happening now for a couple of weeks , hopefully no poxy injuries during the internationals ... We,re well on track to achieve our target but we all know things can change fast ... There's still over a quarter of the season left so there's a long way to go yet ... C.O.Y.S .....

Bazza47 likes this.
  14. Pickleman1967

Pickleman1967 Member

Fair play mate, you wont find many Tottenham fans who don't love Dembele to bits, my only wish is that he'd pull the trigger more often. Zero goals this season, okay he has never been prolific, and his main function is not as a goal scorer, but he seems far less willing to have a pop than the likes of Verts which is not what you'd expect from such a talent. Add a few more goals to his resume and we'd be fighting off all the big boys just to keep him at the club.

Bazza47 likes this.
  15. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

I'm a fan. A fellow lefty, able to beat players at will, strong, awesome.......just score 5 goals in the next 10 and you will be my POTS.....COYS

16. Big fran Guest

17. burnt Well-Known Member

Not sure what's happening around here guys , will have to be renamed tottenhamdead if this continues ...

We're hanging in there better then most at the moment , not playing particularly great but that's understandable given all the injuries ... Hopefully some of them will start coming back soon as the fixtures start getting a bit trickier ... We,re heading into the final furlong soon so all things considered we,re tipping along nicely ... Long may it continue .... I'm not getting too mixed up in this so called title challenge just yet , they still have a big enough lead but they have a few tricky looking fixtures on the horizon , now if they mess one or two of them up then even a cynic like myself will start believing something could happen here ... We,re exceeding my expectations at this stage and it's great to be still fighting for something in April , enjoy the rest of the season everyone , hopefully it goes to the wire .... Hope to see some of Yee back in action around here before the season's end , if not , well take care of yourselves it's been nice knowing Yee no matter our different opinions and as Mr Vinny Jones once said " it's been emotional " ...... C.O.Y.S ......

Felon82 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button