PLAYER RATINGS - Spurs 1-0 Partizan Belgrade

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by James McC, November 27, 2014.

Share This Page

1. James McC

James McC Member

Twitter:
    JMcCarthyLIVE
    Benjamin Stambouli snatched his first goal in a Spurs shirt to seal the side’s progression into the knockout stages of the Europa League on a disjointed night at the Lane.

After a largely dull first half an hour in which only Roberto Soldado had a sight of goal, the players were taken from the pitch for security reasons as Partizan pitch invaders ran riot on 3 separate occasions.

Fears of abandonment soon blew over and just 4 minutes into the second half Stambouli reacted quickest to Soldado’s shot which rebounded off the post and into the Frenchman’s path.

Hugo Lloris sprang into action late on as Stambouli and Lamela became wasteful in front of goal, but the slender lead was enough to see Spurs into the last 24 of the competition, with 8 Champions League dropouts to join the progressed sides.

Player Ratings

Hugo Lloris 7 – Earned his clean sheet with a superb diving save to deny Partizan from a late set-piece. Was calm in distributing the ball to Davies and Naughton and was once again an assured captain.

Kyle Naughton 6 – Had a spring in his step going forward which papered over the few poor touches Naughton was guilty of. Delivery was still very much an issue with none of his crosses finding targets.

Jan Vertonghen 7 – Was on high alert playing next to Vlad Chiriches but was looked smooth amongst the tough conditions. Finished with a brilliant 97% pass completion.

Vlad Chiriches 6 – Always keeps you on your toes this one! Has his odd “moment” but Vlad wasn’t punished as such tonight. Certainly a skilful player but application is the issue, with his cameo at right-back a much more risk-free strategy.

Ben Davies 6 – A very safe option at left-back but was given a tough time by Grbić on the wing. Again his delivery wasn’t up to scratch but some of his passing inside was impressive, particularly with Lamela.

Mousa Dembele 5 – Same old story, didn’t manage to assert himself in a position he can hold down. Substituted not long after half time having played neither as a defensive or creative midfielder.

Benjamin Stambouli 7 – I was impressed by Stambouli who gets my Man of the Match tonight. Aside from scoring his first goal for the club – which certainly should have been joined by his second – Stambouli showed some great skill and most of all composure on the ball. Definitely a shout for Sunday’s game with Ryan Mason.

Aaron Lennon 6 – Was generally effective providing the width when out on the right but weirdly, his best moments all came from the left. Not an “inverted winger” in any way shape or form but his throughballs for Kane and Soldado sliced Partizan in two.

Erik Lamela 6 – Very promising from the Argentine who was typically full of running but was once again so close yet so far. Saw a brilliant effort – his 6th of the game – tipped over in the dying moments and hit the post too.

Paulinho 6 – Surprisingly energetic but still far from the number 10 Pochettino needs in his system. Sort of like a Labrador, running around playing the odd pass but with an inept sense of tactics.

Roberto Soldado 7 – I don’t care what anybody says this guy had a great game tonight. The worries can flow when Soldado doesn’t find himself in the positions to score but tonight he was always on hand and is forever unlucky. Sad to see him substituted before he found the net.

SUBS

Nabil Bentaleb 6 – An assured return from injury, Good to see him back.

Harry Kane 6 – Looking more and more our best attacking option. Definitely looked a class above when he came on with some brilliant footwork and deserved a penalty.

Harry Winks N/a – Heartwarming to see the 18-year-old get such a huge reception. Another one!

Although the game was all-in-all fairly comfortable (with the odd lapse in concentration), it would have been nice to see us smash a side out of the ground for once.

True, sides like Partizan who come to the Lane and sit back do encourage a lacklustre game of attrition, but we should surely have enough quality in our squad to patiently work the opportunities?

On the upside, our trip away at Besiktas now holds only the challenge of finishing as group-toppers and it would be a great chance to see the likes of Winks and Ball get a proper run-out.

Onwards! COYS

2. I agree with most of the ratings but feel you're being a tad harsh on Vlad. He had a good game (better than Jan).

3. Nick Guest

It was an ok game. But a single goalie save.

It was ok but Pooch. MAN UP.

This was but not a confident performance.

I hate to say it but for me the worse player on the pitch was the goal scorer. And for me that not simple job. Modric Hoddle did it well.

Glid in to space pass or shoot.

4. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

I think they call that 'A Jekyll and Hyde' type performance. If you wanted a game to represent the old cliche of 'A game of two halfs' this was it.

Predictable, clumsy (at times) and ponderous for most of the 1st half, the team were a force transformed in the 2nd.

Suddenly moving out of first gear, Spurs returned from the break with a confidence, endeavor and collective enthusiasm that had missing from the opening 45 mins, and it wasn't long before the lilywhites were ahead.

I must say some of the football played in that second half was VERY good and in the end Spurs could EASILY of come away with 3-5 goals tonight.

The most pleasing thing about the game after the restart was the way the ENTIRE team seemed to up their game and perform better as a unit, which was enforced/maintained by the cameo displays of the subs.

Bentaleb looked like he had never been away, putting on a composed and extremely confident showing when he entered the fray. The kid has DEFINITELY got something, and at only 19/20 Pochettino will fancy himself to help the kid develop in something potentially very special.

What I like about Nabil is the way he seems largely undaunted/unfazed at the prospect of playing for a club the size of Tottenham Hotspur despite his age and (relative) lack of experience at any senior level.

Since breaking into the Spurs fold LAST season, his rise has been meteoric having already played what must be pushing towards 30 -40 games for the club and already featured at a WC finals.

Pochettino will also appreciate having Nabil back in the fold as he is a player who IS willing/able to do what is being asked of him on the pitch, without a moments hesitation. Not only is that down to the joys of youth and the desire to impress, but he also seems like he has a very head on his shoulders both personal and professional level. I get the feeling this is a kid who not only wants to get better but also craves success.

I also Stambouli was very impressive tonight. Whilst he was ALWAYS very good on the ball during the game, his display became more complete in the second half, which was rewarded with his first goal for the club.

The kid did well and will look to this as a perfect building block as he tries to enhance his reputation during his time at Spurs.

Oddly enough for a DM he seems quicker going forward than he does tracking back, where tonight he appeared a bit heavy legged at times. Perhaps this is just done to a lack of 'match sharpness', though.

Like I said, good 2nd half performances all round with the team playing with a REAL swagger and verve after the interval.

There was a spell of about 5 mins where Spurs created as many chances as Partizan had all night, and although we could of conceded 1 0r 2, as I said before, Tottenham could have scored 4 0r 5, with Soldado still looking for that crucial break in fortunes.

The flip-side of that though is the team HAS been making chances for the Spaniard on a regular basis in recent games, which tells me that they are developing a better idea of the kind of service a player like him requires.

I have no doubt that once he gets one goal (preferably in the EPL) that the Spanish striker will embark upon a run of goalscoring form. The guy just oozes class, for me!

Spurs will need to make sure they do NOT leave it so late to move through the gears on the weekend against Everton. Anything less than the slick, 1/2-touch, high intensity, football they displayed in the 2nd half and it could be another long day out at the Lane.

Hopefully, the likes of Capoue, Chadli, Townsend, Eriksen, Rose, Kaboul, Fazio, Walker and Adebayor can all return to bolster the squad sooner rather than later.

Strange game tonight, but given the encouraging nature of the second half display and the result, I will sleep well tonight.

BRING ON EVERTON!!!

Last edited: November 28, 2014
    Barry WHYTE likes this.
  5. Barry WHYTE

Barry WHYTE New Member

I am encourage very encourage Saldado needs to play more although he hasn't score when he is in the game the offense flows better

Ramos43 likes this.
  6. big fran Guest

I know they cost a fortune between them so yeah before anyone starts they do need to provide more but our 3 record signings really impressed me tonight. Was really disappointed not to see soldado get 90 and a goal or two as his overall performance deserved. He seems to be playing on the shoulder more making 'striker' runs in between the full bk and centre half and often wasn't found! Lamela had his best game for me at spurs thus far and again yeah he can do more. Paulinho impressed less so but he was definitely trying and recovered many balls high up pressing hard! Lennon hopefully is starting to silence a few critics with his return to the team but I still prefer him on the right flank!

7. The Cockerel

The Cockerel Member

Are we seeing a top class striker develop in front of our own eyes? I was pleasantly surprised at how much a class above Harry Kane looked when he came on for his cameo. He looked, to my eyes, like a Champions League regular given a run out in a Championship game! He is beginning to blossom right in front of us! Let's hope it's not an illusion.
    Lamela has played well in the Europa Cup, granted, but his promise is there for all to see. Given time, experience and normal improvement ( he is 22 years old! ), we should have a top class footballer by the end of next season. All we need is patience.
    Benjamin Stambouli is NOT a holding midfielder as we've falsely assumed. He showed yesterday that he is an old fashioned marauding midfielder, more in the Bryan Robson mould. That may not be such a bad quality as we've needed some energy in the middle of the park many times this season.
    Nice to see Aaron Lennon rediscovering his mojo. We keep knocking him down and he keeps surprising us. If he continues in his current form and improves into the top class Aaron we know, then we have a realistic shot at a top 4 spot. Chelsea and Man City are the only sides nailed on for 2 of the 4 places, although it hurts me to admit that the woolwich will probably also get their usual berth as well. That still leaves one place for us, Everton , Liverpool and Manure to battle over. It may not be such a far-fetched idea to see us in the hunt come the end of March.
    Finally, I'm beginning to ask more and more what the point of Dembele is. He's not a holding midfielder, he can't set up an attack, he can't see a killer pass and he's only scored some 4 or so goals in over 100 games since he came to WHL. All he does is look good shrugging off other players before laying off the ball, usually sideways or backwards to another Spurs shirt. We need far more production from our midfield than that limited skill set. He has to go! COYS!

notnats likes this.
  8. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I agree that we need to keep playing with the vim of the second half, quick and simple football which at times was excellent.
    Lamela is desperate for a goal and at times he is like Townsend. He runs a lot, takes people on but then shoots somewhere into outer space. Maybe if one ripples the back of the net on Sunday, it could be start of a goal glut. Then again we have said that about Soldado, although I agree that he had a great game last night and was unlucky not to score.
    Lennon has done enough in the last game and the game against Hull to start on Sunday and Kane will surely start again but I want to see two up front.

COYS!!

9. mikespurs New Member

Some of soldado's link up play is absolutely superb. He was so unlucky to watch the ball bounce off the post after such a delicate chip but hats off to stambouli for the follow up. I thought Aaron Lennon was brilliant as well and having him in the team running at defenders and putting crosses in is going to suit the forwards we have more then the narrow football we have been playing

Mattj78 likes this.
  10. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I really want him to get a couple of goals today. If he and Lamela could find the net, their confidence will grow and we could be looking at a very different season for the Spurs.

COYS!!! TTID!!!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button